Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2056 Draft Round 1   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
High School Board - 9's 10's no one higher than 13. This guy could be a nice player and a strong CF candidate (and my depth there isnt great) but for Round #1 I hope for superstars

https://brokenbat.org/prospect/316853
robinsmd

Loveland Tigers
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm so tired of having garbage first round choices 4 out of every 5 seasons. Went with pitching in round one. Had ALL 9s and 10s except for this Latin America pitcher with 14 potential, but only a Fastball comment and horrific amateur stats. This is so frustrating...

http://brokenbat.org/player/311632
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Absolutely didn't need another 2B, but by and far the best player on the board, so went with the best player.

Commiserations to those with crummy first-round boards; have totally been there. :(

Updated Friday, August 5 2022 @ 6:18:32 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I hear you. I drafted a POT 11 3B... again... I have a huge glut of 3B already, but no point in drafting any of the other scrubs from the board. I wish there was a strategic component to drafting rather than pure luck. I really need to find a SS :(
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
There were like 3 13's there I think, but I usually end up with one guy worth drafting out of 10. At least I got that one guy

@robinsmd Going P only helped ruin my 2054 draft. Never doing that again. 1-3 is always going to be College/HS/SS. After that Latin American

Updated Friday, August 5 2022 @ 6:26:51 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Dinos had one of our most difficult draft decisions ever.

We've been hitting the pitching pool with some regularity in the 1st round, looking for a true ace SP without much luck.

This season we finally hit a 15 pot SP. But his amateur stats aren't good, and his scouting felt a little light for a 15.

Would have been thrilled to take him, but there was a 14 pot RP also in the list. His amateur stats aren't great either, but his scouting seems to support his pot better.

So we left the 15 pot SP on the table. Drafted Duncan with our 1st selection.
tamale

Concord Jets
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Duncan is a good pick - he’ll end up being able to start for sure, so you aren’t even missing out on that front.

Seem to be developing a pitcher heavy farm, although the overall talent level isn’t great. Got a pretty good one today though, I think: Friedman. He was one of two possible selections, the other guy was almost a carbon copy of him. Same scouting report, POT, age, both RHP, and similar statistical traits in the amateur ranks. Could’ve flipped a coin between them and been happy either way, I went with Friedman due to a slightly better changeup and marginally better chance to start.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I guess my pitching philosophy is to the point where neither Duncan nor Friedman would be draft-worthy for Corvallis, unless they were truly the only high-upside option on the board. And even then their leash would be really short. Hope they work out though.

@Rock: "I wish there was a strategic component to drafting rather than pure luck."

I mean, I could have went with the pitcher-only pool, but ... I just can't bring myself to do it in the first round. I tried it once and ended up with a bunch of nines and tens. Blech. High School seems to dependably turn up something interesting in the first round, even if it means they don't fill an existing gap. That said, I can still dream of some granularity, like being able to choose "high school pitcher." I'm guessing we can't do that because it wouldn't be entirely fair?
tamale

Concord Jets
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
@lostraven: That’s interesting - what particular concerns do you have regarding Duncan and/or Friedman? I think Friedman has a really solid profile, one of the better arms in my minors (probably top 3, which admittedly reveals more about the other pitchers I have than Friedman).
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Ah, the days of drafting studs in the first round, I remember those! Seem like a distant memory (even allowing for two decent picks the last five seasons).

Seem to be developing a pitcher heavy farm

Same! 14/20 of my prospects are pitchers, and there's probably one who I have high hopes for.

The first guy on my board today was a 6 POT. SIX. Didn't exactly bode well, and so it came to be. The two best reports were above average potential and pipe dreams, so I targetted Bowman. I'm not holding my breath.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Super disappointing.

https://brokenbat.org/player/299794

Might make an OK catcher. Not exactly the SS for which I was hoping.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
If I may weigh in, my only possible concern about Duncan is he will not be a high control pitcher. Otherwise he projects fine.

Friedman looks to be one of those 13-15 on everything guys. Like his FIP and homers and GB though. Nice pitcher for me, but I am not so sure about Legends.
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
After really good choices the last couple of seasons in Round 1 this years crop was disappointing overall. I only had one really good choice so I picked him. http://brokenbat.org/player/316490
Turned down a strike out pitcher with exceptional curve but wild. Settled in on a decent CF prospect. Hope the board improves in round 2.

lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@tamale I have been and remain hesitant to talk about my philosophy on pitching in BB as of late. However, if you were to take a close look at the pitchers in my stable (minors and bigs) and their amateur numbers, you'd likely quickly catch on that very few have a H/9 even remotely resembling Duncan and Friedman in amateurs. (Hernandez is an exception, and he will be on a short leash. Bonds is a weird one, and still not sure what to make of him, but the pudding is good still.)

Updated Friday, August 5 2022 @ 7:16:40 am PDT

Updated Friday, August 5 2022 @ 7:20:44 am PDT
tamale

Concord Jets
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I’ve had a few of those guys with no standout tool be just fine. Gonzales on my ML team is very similar, and I think he’ll end up a good pitcher. Perkins and Pardo have been alright as well. On the other hand Dalton is in the same bucket, and is never going to be anything.

Don’t think I’m long for the Legends league anyway - the 3 key pitchers in my run are all completely past it, but I can’t bring myself to get rid of them. The sad thing is, I’m not even sure they aren’t my best options - not for lack of trying.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
And they are both worth a try, no doubt! From Corvallis' perspective, however, their leash would be short.
jezzat

Rockford Rhinos
V.9

Broken Bat Baseball
Went with the "any player" option to give my scouts the biggest possible net to trawl. They came up with 2 Pot 14s and 2 Pot 16s, although 1 of the 16s will never be a decent hitter.

Therefore went with the other one - http://brokenbat.org/player/293772 - not expecting him to stay a 16 and he's certainly not a SS but gives me something to work with at least.

Interestingly his default management options included the "Pinch Run for" box being ticked despite his speed being 19 - haven't noticed before but not sure if it does this for every player.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@lostraven. Being pitched over your stamina (what usually happens in Prep) balloons your H/IP to an alarming degree.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Snagged Hudson, who I suppose I'll train at 3B (poor Wheeler will be stuck at platoon forever) and he's a solid emergency SS and whatever. He joins Murphay and Howard in Double A, all of them being 2B/SS.

But yeah, he was everything I could ask for in Round 1.
texasoutlaw89

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Overall I'm pretty happy with my first rounder.

http://brokenbat.org/player/314734/U

17 year old high school kid, Velo, COS, Movement, and Control are 9, 7, 6, and 6. Everyone else was either a 12 POT, or didn't have anywhere near as solid of a base skill set. I think he can be a top/mid rotation kind of arm. I don't have a whole lot of pitching prospects and was really looking to get a good young pitcher if I could find one, and I feel like I accomplished that.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@electriceel That may be the case, but from my perspective—and I re-emphasize this again—they get a short leash to prove better skills in the minors under more controlled conditions.

Ron Shandler, a fantasy baseball guy I used to follow back in the day, was fond of saying "once a player demonstrates the ability to do something, they own that skill." For me, if they don't demonstrate an ability to keep H/9 in check in the amateurs, they have a short window to prove they can do it in the minors. Duncan and Friedman need to prove they can bring the H/9 down, and fast. Do some such players finally "click" in AAA and do well? Rarely, but yes.

For the same reason, it's why I tend to stick with pitchers who demonstrate low H/9 in the minors, sometimes longer than I should, sometimes for the best. Kurt Hanson, who I accidentally cut last season, is an example of someone I saw a lot of positive in. Positive amateurs, displaying a skill of low H/9. Thus he owned that skill. He got chances in the minors, and he continued to own that skill. Despite the ugly-looking build, he continued to own that skill in the bigs, making him a great example of what I value in a pitcher.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@lostraven. I agree that minor league performance can be very meaningful, and agree completely that most mediocre performers wont get that much better without a compelling reason why. However, the AI can and does ignore management settings for pitchers. Still H/IP is one of the more significant metrics I keep an eye on. Ah yes, Kurt the Hurt. I tried to get him.

Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Stacy Pennington

Left Fielders aren't hard to find, so not too exciting, but just happy to have a VG pot with a hitting comment for once after several seasons of disappointing rd 1 boards.
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@Bridger
He's close to but better than what I wound up with. For me he would probably play in CF but maybe you have better candidates there than I do.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, Pennington would be a star CF prospect for Haverhill.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@lostraven would have been garbage from the pitching pool as well. What I really need is a SS or a C. I can probably pick up a decent C prospect on waivers, but SS can be more difficult. And whenever I pick from the SS pool, I end up getting DHs :(
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Got the absolute best prospect I've ever seen on the draft board. 16 pot SS who is currently the top ranked NP on the prospects list (I know that doesn't mean much but still was fun to see)

http://brokenbat.org/player/319057

lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock: g10rsh's post about a SS ... _^ *wince*

@g10rsh: What pool did you pull from, out of curiosity?

Updated Friday, August 5 2022 @ 5:22:10 pm PDT
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I usually pull from the any non pitcher pool for the first few rounds. Just because I find pitchers are less about build and more about the stats they show when playing (WHIP, GB/FB, etc) and generally are easier to scout/find on waivers when they have some minor league record to go on top of their Amateur/Overseas stats.

(Take all advice with the grain of salt that ive been stuck in LLVI for what feels like forever haha)
PMurphy17

Greensboro Blue Jays
V.16

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/302257

Odd I just released my only other 15 POT drafted player ever a few days ago due to age decline.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I usually don't draft for pitchers either for the same reason. Too easy to find decent pitchers on waivers. Not to say I won't draft one if I see a good one on my board, but I've never drafted from the pitcher pool.

If I need immediate help I sometimes draft Asian. If I am in solid shape I usually draft Highschool. And if I have a couple holes coming up I usually draft College. I usually draft from the Latin pool in the later rounds.

I've tried the SS without much luck. Most of the best skill players I have drafted came out of the 1B pool.
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I have never had good luck drafting from the Pitcher or Shortstop pool. Lately I have had a good run from the High School pool except this season's player was a bit of a drop off from previous first rounds. I think I have tried college pool a few times and it was hit or miss. I have tried the Asian pool twice. The first time I got a serviceable starter to use right away and the second time stunk so I have not gone back. What all of this is worth for anyone else I honestly don't know. lol
scowley75

Davis Devils
V.12

Broken Bat Baseball
Had to choose between this guy and an 11 POT / 17 year old with an 81 SI. Went with the higher ceiling guy.

Guessing he's not a great option at C, but not a terrible start with Round One.

https://brokenbat.org/player/316954
rivalmejr

Hillsboro Pikas
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
https://brokenbat.org/player/295372

We ended up going with a high POT 2B. I don't think personally he is our answer at second base for the future but think he can be a very good OF. if everything develops correctly he should be a good Hit/Pow guy with the range to cover alot of ground in the burrows. I think I am going to try to train him in most of the IF positions as well, become a utility guy when needed

Updated Monday, August 8 2022 @ 7:16:14 am PDT
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Went high school and drafted a 15 pot center fielder.
http://brokenbat.org/player/314360
texasoutlaw89

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Scowley I would definitely be trying to switch him to the outfield or maybe 3b. His arm isn't strong enough to stick around at catcher.

Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
SS was over 100% so I went for it.
Whatta board?
4x14, 1x13, 3x12, 2x11

The 14s
1 - 20yo 86si 14rng/19arm: decent slugger / amazing / AA
No hitting comment, projected 2 pot decline, next.

2 - 20yo 82si 19rng/12arm: decent slugger / 20spd (20steals) / outstanding / VG
No hitting comment again?

3 - Patrick Parisi
Looking at my 3B replacements, maybe shoulda.

4 - Bottom of the list, with 0.4 ss skill ...
T.J. "The Joker" Heath

Previous Page | Show Page |