Broken Bat Baseball
Hey! Somebody totally ripped off the broken bat website: Hardwood

It’s some basketball game.
JoeDaddyeous91

Kahului Turtles
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve did it haha...
Look at the contact info, it's all the same. :)
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Ooh! I want IU!
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh man, Steve's been holding out on us :)
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Still like Broken Brackets as a title for a college basketball sim, though ;)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice :) Hope Steve lets us know when its ready!
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That looks really awesome!
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
That looks awesome actually
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm excited about it.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I wish it was American Football though, the GM games for that are so miserably bad it's not even funny.
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
This is amazing news
hockeytrb99

Sandusky Warriors
VI.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This looks like it has the potential to be even better then broken bat.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Better than bb? Thats unpossible!
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't like basketball at all, and I still kinda' wanna' play.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ahhhh, Baseball and now College Basketball. Steve knows my buttons.

Although to be fair I just love building teams in general. Football Manager 18 Beta has been taking up my free time this past week.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Can not wait for this. Been looking for a college BBall game for years. Anybody ever even seen an online college basketball sim?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I hope Steve let's us know when this is ready. He'll probably have 250 people sign up the first day.
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
I kinda know another college bball game
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Why college basketball?
Because of promotion/relegation?
Italian here, I'm used to FIBA rules so promotions and relegations are the norm.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Bookmarked it. Awesome idea!
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Looking forward to this! (Guessing if its like the real ncaa, cant get attached to my players for too long)
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Yea players will be on your team for 4-5 years. I read through the game manual a few times. Lots of really cool stuff. I like the idea of the best players going on to play professionally and getting o see how they continue to grow.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Why college basketball?

There was a thread where the fact that there aren't any good college basketball sims out there came up and Steve said he might have to make one. Guess he wasn't kidding :)
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Found the thread: http://brokenbat.org/forum/-/5/3077
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 My general opinion of college hoops is that it’s a waste of airtime, and that goes double once March Madness rolls around. The odds of me looking at Hardwood are fairly low. The odds of me sticking around more than half a season or so once it starts are even lower.

The fact that it’s Steve making the game, on the other hand, means that those odds are nonzero. I love what he’s done with Broken Bat, after all, and finding the community here was like walking into a room of old friends I’d never met. I might be intrigued just enough to poke at Hardwood a bit once he launches it.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't like basketball at all, and I still kinda' wanna' play.

Same here! Guess I'll just have to hold out for the football and hockey sims... :)
mjhack

Binghamton Bobcats
VI.15

Broken Bat Baseball
I had played b-ball for many years on another simo website, but it just became way to complicated and time consuming for the recruiting piece. I look forward to the opportunity to get in on the ground floor of this deal. Dibs on UT Vols...
TPS

Dallas Dragons
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I wonder how teams like Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Duke, etc. are going to be assigned. I'm guessing there is going to be a decent amount of people who want these teams. Personally, my first choice would be Boise State who won't be popular as some other colleges.
hockeytrb99

Sandusky Warriors
VI.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would assume first come first serve just like this game.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Oh...I guess the cat is out of the bag.

Hmmm...still to early for sign-ups, but I will keep people posted. You are welcome to watch the bots manage the teams at the moment.

Congrats to Saint Martins for winning the first national tournament. At least until I reset again... :-)

Steve
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Why college basketball?Why college basketball?

I think there might be more to do in college basketball than professional. Maybe.

I've tried basketball sims before, but had trouble sticking with them. I think part of the problem for me is that the line-ups / roster is much smaller in basketball than other major sports. Didn't feel like I had much to do.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, come to think of it, how did you run across this, Frogman? Seems like a needle-in a-haystack find.
TPS

Dallas Dragons
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
If you go to links on the bottom of the page and click on it, you will eventually find other various simulation games. I believe it is hardwood that leads you to the site.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep, there it is. Mystery solved :)
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I know nothing about college basket, but will join the company over there for sure.

Biggest difference I foresee is that in Broken Bat all teams are created equal.
In Hardwood, top dogs will play in the top leagues, and recruit the best talent
Doesn't look like easy to overcome that disparity

Also, top coaches will be so much more important there, as they will be the only mainstay of the team
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Recruiting is THE most fun aspect of college hoops. Also the answer to "why college hoops"; much more fun then pro management. So I hope Steve keeps it in the game. It will definitely raise some interesting challenges for balance. May need to be some sort of mechanic to ensure lower conference schools can still get decent recruits. If the data is fuzzy enough behind the high school stats (like Stumped!), then it may not matter much. But you really don't want recruiting to be a total guess fest if its going to be an intricate part of the game.

Personally, I always like to start at the very bottom with college basketball games and build my prestige and recruiting power through hard work. I would always make a brand new team in DDS with no prestige and start drafting local mediocre talent guys. It should be attractive to players who like to build a program. Just a question if there are enough of us that prefer that to just owning a dynasty.
Frogman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Was searching for another game called Hardwood Online. It’s an unrelated backgammon game.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Looks like it could be a lot of fun!

hockeytrb99

Sandusky Warriors
VI.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Steve Do you have an estimate to when this might be ready for users to sign up?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As someone born and raised in North Carolina, I can concur that college hoops is far more interesting than pro to me. From 1991 to 2008 I missed a total of less than 20 tournament games, unfortunately life has gotten in the way in recent years, also some of the scandals have been sickening to me. I would be happy with one of the major schools I like, but I would be happy with either of my alma maters which are both relatively unknown.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
My alma maters is Div III, LOL. That would certainly be starting from the bottom :)
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think there's a lot of little things that make college basketball a better subject for an online sim than pro basketball would be.

Take for example conferences. I could see a possibility to add a satisfying tension to the game by making strength of conference a factor in recruiting and team rankings. So, on the one hand, you want to beat all your conference rivals by fifty points, while on the other, it helps you to have your conference be strong from top to bottom. There's no real analog for something like that in pro basketball.

[EDIT] It also nicely skirts the trade problem :)

Updated Saturday, November 4 2017 @ 1:21:15 am PDT
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
The Game Manual memorized,

Enough said....
mjreichard

New Orleans Knights
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I love this! I am in once it opens up!

On a related note - does anybody have a football sim they like? I have tried a few and they are not good enough to keep my interest.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@rock my alma mater is 6, and i was very surprised they were even in the game. I dont even like basketball but i cant wait to join hardwood :) thats more of a testament to steve, and to the idea of something new.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@mjr

MFN

Here's a decent sim I started playing recently. Haselrig, Cactus, and Privatesnowflake all play in this league.

Updated Saturday, November 4 2017 @ 6:57:01 am PDT

Updated Saturday, November 4 2017 @ 6:58:19 am PDT

Updated Saturday, November 4 2017 @ 6:58:49 am PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
What league(s) are youguys in in MFN? Im going to join, itlooks good enough to try. Thought id consider picking up a bot team in one of your leagues...

Jeff
mjreichard

New Orleans Knights
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I have looked over the site like 5 times already...this will be fun! Please be sure to let us know here when we can do it!

I see my two small hometown colleges in the game, would love to nab one of them!!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@wickersty I meant DIV III in real life. In the game they are VI, which sounds about right.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@rock ah, well mine is d3 in real life too ;)

Although to be honest, when i went there i dont recall them behing that high. Of course i dont know much about college athletics... maybe theres nothingworse than d3...

Updated Saturday, November 4 2017 @ 8:40:10 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
D3 is the lowest for NCAA. Lower would just mean you aren't recognized by the NCAA. Although you could still have a better team than Div 3 schools, just no scholarship restrictions (and probably no recruiting power LOL).
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
@Steve Do you have an estimate to when this might be ready for users to sign up?

Sorry...I don't really have a schedule...probably months at this point.

Before the game would officially kick off, we would probably do a season plus of testing to debug the user interfaces. Bot testing doesn't really exercise them.

Steve
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
No rush, Steve. We weren’t even supposed to know about it yet...

Thanks so much for what you do!
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@steve, a minor detail from the Hardwood manual:

- Scouted Skill Values vs. Real Skill Values
So are the skill values displayed for each player accurate? Just as in real baseball, where there is some uncertainty about a player's talent level, in Broken Bat there is also built-in uncertainty in displayed skill levels. The visible skill values for each player are an approximation of his current actual skill level and may deviate by up to 20% from it true value for some skills. Additionally, just like in real baseball, as a player plays more games, his displayed skill value will approach his true current skill level. Note, this may result in a player's displayed skill level actually dropping, even though he is receiving regular coaching and playing time. His skill value is not actually dropping, but because his actual skill level is better known now, a more accurate and lower value is now displayed.

I think you meant to change "baseball" to "basketball" and "Broken Bat" to "Hardwood". :)

Edit: I know the game is still a ways out, sorry, it is a natural tendency to proofread while reading something. I found a few more needed edits, but I will refrain from listing them here and now.

Updated Saturday, November 4 2017 @ 10:48:49 am PDT
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The league is MFN-47, wickersty.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Besides a lot of references to BrokenBat and baseball, on the manual and other parts of the site, I also noticed the lack of Height in players.

Eg. Notre Dame has no players taller than 6'7"
Whereas in RL there are 6'11", 6'10", 6'9" s

Updated Sunday, November 5 2017 @ 1:36:41 am PST
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
He isn’t finished with the game...we weren’t even supposed to see it yet. Stop criticizing it. I’m sure he will want people to test it out when it’s ready and will let us know when that time gets here.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
You know what they say about watching the sausage being made :)
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball

He isn’t finished with the game...we weren’t even supposed to see it yet. Stop criticizing it. I’m sure he will want people to test it out when it’s ready and will let us know when that time gets here.

It's called Debugging...
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it is still in early alpha though. Better to wait until he has the beta ready before offering feedback as many of those things will be cleaned up by then. I'm just going to pretend the site doesn't exist until Steve tells us its ready for testing.
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's all so early in the process, so i'll wait and see until the alpha is done and it's open to scrutiny that i'll make my statements. However i'm psyched for this!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Let's not jump the gun...this kind of came out inadvertently. The only reason it’s on the web at present is to get a search engine presence/history and to make sure the processing load is balanced enough for the server.

I'm not adverse to comments or criticism, but I don't want to have a thread on Broken Bat devoted to Hardwood issues. You’re welcome to browse the site. If you do have comments or suggestions, why don’t you e-mail me directly at: [email protected]

Thanks,

Steve

Updated Sunday, November 5 2017 @ 1:18:38 pm PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry, with so many people saying they were reading the manual, I did as well. That's when the former sports editor in me came out. I'll probably forget about it as soon as the thread dies... at least until it is closer to ready.
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
The game date reset... not sure what that means.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Means it is still in development.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I've been adding a number of parameters to the database, so occasionally it easier to just reset the game rather than manually add all the new parameters to the database individually.

It ran for 1+ seasons, which means it executed all the steps in the game. :-)

Steve
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I will definitely have to play this once it comes out. I love basketball! I actually coach a middle school rec league team each year so it would be fun to coach basketball year round. I tried another basketball manager game but it was not very fun. If this is very similar to BB (which it appears to be) it should be great!
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Update: Season ran successfully on the live server. Starting to build the user (human) controls.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah...I have the first draft of the game engine working. It’s far from perfect in almost every way, but the results are reasonable. If you look at the box scores, they look pretty realistic.

Now, I’m looking into implementing user controls for: recruiting, depth chart, game tactics, player control settings etc.

Steve

Valmion

Port Arthur Pirates
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I will take a look at this when ready, have been playing Buzzerbeater for quite some time.

Krakonico

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I came here, don´t remember if it was either Buzzerbeater or Hattrick, but I left the formers because two things:
a) First, the game, is different, any low level team can battle high ranking team, if you can balance your finances a little you can hire any good player and go up, or you can rely on your draft and try to go up in a slower progress.
b) Second, the community, it's the best one in the entire Galaxy.

By the way, I will give a try to the Hardwood game, just make the announcement, but it's already bookmarked.
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Holy moly! I just finished my first semester at UVA and have been dark for a little while on the site. Just got back on and saw the news. All I can say is that Hardwood looks absolutely fantastic!!! I cannot wait to try my hand at this.

*Dibs on the Cavs by the way
Balbinjj

Appleton Foxes
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Let me help!
Yankee1219

West Allis Devil Dogs
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi Steve, I'd be happy to help out with the Hardwood testing. I've been checking it out from time to time, and it looks like it will be pretty cool. What do I need to do? If possible, I'd like to have team #208 Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Thanks.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Updated Friday, March 16 2018 @ 3:18:37 am PDT
Deuce

New London Rippers
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd love to get involved Steve!
Please set me up if your still wanting help.

order of preference..

Michigan
North Carolina
Syracuse
Louisville

admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball

Ahead of the July 4th launch, we are now opening sign-ups to everyone for our sister site, Hardwood OCB. Please use the Register for a team! link to sign up.

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I won't be playing, but congrats. Good luck all.
Jaybrams

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Registration Sent! Looks fun!
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Since I've started a rebuild here, I've decided to try a build at Hardwood. I'm not a huge basketball fan and can't imagine I'll devote as much time and energy there. Hopefully my registration worked. It's hard to tell with the reset being in progress.

Updated Wednesday, July 4 2018 @ 2:28:57 pm PDT
Valmion

Port Arthur Pirates
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Mike I think you will really like the recruiting competition.

MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ooo, nice call! It's roughly 99% of what interests me about the game.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The recruiting is very satisfying. There's a lot of room for it to evolve over time, too.
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh why not?

Since I'm more or less back to BB as well after getting a more relaxed schedule at work, I think I can give one more game a try. :)
Noodle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I signed up as well. Hawaii Rainbow Warriors here I come!!
zonablazer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Im the Fresno State Bulldogs at Hardwood. I'm very swamped in life right now, so i'll keep my team doing what it can, but not sure when i can take the time to learn the game. But it's a very cool unique idea.

Previous Page | Show Page |