Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
Currently I have 32 claimed.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I only have 11 right now, but I'll probably do another pass tomorrow.
gocubs16

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have 20 claimed
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So I take it the best thing to do is over claim the actual amount of spots in the hope that you get a couple in?

What if you're lucky enough to get more - do you have time to cut more spots, or will the system automatically remove any other cliams?

ie claim 15 - have 5 spots - fill all 5, but 5 claims remaining = kicked out or if win another get a message to make room?

Jim
Coolhand

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If your roster is full when a waiver is determined you will be removed from the pool of potential winners.

Just check daily and see if you won any from last night and make roster adjustments as necessary.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Keep in mind that waivers process from highest SI to lowest. Make sure the extremely talented minor leager on your waiver list isn't being blocked out by 5 broke-down one-claimers.
FreddyThe2nd

Tombstone Pistoleros
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
67 claims.

Last season I had about 5.

Team is a little more needy this season.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I’m currently at eighty claims, and I’ll probably be adding a few more. That said, I’ll also be weeding a lot of those out before they actually process.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Eighty for a LL-III team. Maybe you'll be less of a challenge then I expected :P

I took a second look today and added one more, so I'm up to 12. I did find three 0-claim guys that were tempting enough to bookmark, so one of those guys might end up on the team at some point. One two of my current claims are under 10, so I'll likely have an open spot for one of them.
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow, I feel behind. I only have 9 claims so far.
With 6 open roster spots and a couple cuts to make if I can find upgrades, I should be looking at 4 to 5 new team members from waivers. Hmmm maybe I should be less selective.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Nah, I pretty much do this every offseason. Not sure what my current count is, but I’ve already added a few more and retracted at least one that was coming up due tonight.

That’s just the way I’ve always done things at the flip: Put claims out on everyone who looks remotely interesting, then weed down to the ones who look like they’ll actually be useful the evening before they come due. Seems to work for me; I mean, I’m up to III now… ^.~
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not disclosing the number of claims. Confidential. :)

I am impressed by the amount of action tho. 3 guys I have claims on are over 100, and another is sitting at 99.

Not Powerball odds, but getting up there.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's weird. Same for me. What are the odds? ;)
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not disclosing the number of claims. Confidential.

Same here! Nice idea by the OP though - "if I ask everyone how many claims they've made, maybe I'll figure out just how many I've missed (and can go look again)!"

You're not fooling me. ;)
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
"if I ask everyone how many claims they've made, maybe I'll figure out just how many I've missed (and can go look again)!"

And my excessively inflated total is basically just a false positive on that theory. ^.~
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Dang it! I've missed 68!

There are definitely guys I would have claimed if I didn't already have better guys on the squad (especially at 3B). Its so team dependent, I'm not sure you can really glean much.
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Morning guys

Not joy thus far on any I've put a claim in for.

I understand this is a totally random thing so I will start looking for those with more flaws then I'd like as long as they improve the team I currently have - which shouldn't be too hard - lol!

Cheers

Jim
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I stand corrected I picked up a AAA journeyman and put him straight in the show.

Removed all but one of my claims and will build around a team of misfits and unloved, seeing as I'm in a pretty low league so fingers crossed whoever I grab can get me to my 1st full season goal of 500

Have a good day guys

Jim
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I can get behind that philosophy.

Finding those under-the-radar guys that other owners miss or don’t want because they already have someone at least as good can give you a good start. Sometimes it’s not about finding the best guy, sometimes it’s just about finding a better guy. It worked for me back in the early ’30s anyway, even if I did tend to describe it as a cross between herding cats and trying to wrestle a moving train onto its tracks.

It’s not exactly a quick process to get a team turned around (or at least pointed in the right direction), but anybody who plays Broken Bat is already in it for the long game. Beyond recognizing who’ll be an improvement and good fit for your team, the best advice I have is to be patient. Or at least be good at waiting. (…Yes, there is a difference. ^.~ )
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i seemed to have missed on all my claims so far.. it seems even one i may have been the only owner with a claim on.. lol.. anyways:: better luck tomorrow!!!
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I can get behind that philosophy.

It's a good philosophy, but you can follow that while still throwing out claims on the 100+ guys. Really no harm in it.

Big winner last night (based on the number of claims made) was Tombstone with Epps. Louie had a difficult season in '44, but it seems most of us believe that's an aberration.

Updated Tuesday, June 16 2020 @ 6:19:38 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If nothing else, he looks like a killer LHS.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Heh. Freddy already making waves with the new team. ^.^
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks assumed

Seca, I was gonna do that but it's the lottery aspect which is not for me.

Anyhow guys all the best.

Jim
5L1NK

Farmington Hills Cardinals
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Who are the daily Lottery players? Guys with obscene Claim amounts. So far I have the following, please add on if you know.

June 17: Steward(95)
June 18: Vasquez(162)
June 19: Brand (105), Cluster (111)
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
aite.. now this is getting kinda fuzzy... I didn’t get a single waiver claim... Anyonr else not get a single one?
Gunnar

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I got 1 out of 9 last night and the 1 was a single claim waiver win.
Coolhand

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
0-12 so far on waivers.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
aite.. now this is getting kinda fuzzy... I didn’t get a single waiver claim... Anyonr else not get a single one?

I very rarely win anybody this time of year. I'm 0-fer how ever many again as usual.
wuggla

VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
Catch & Release try winning better. Won 53 claimer Leftist should I keep him? Also won Colorado born Harry Bird he could get started vs rights. Ayala's released.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, its pretty rare to win claims in general. Although there are a handful of teams that seem to continually pull lots of claims. I managed to win 1 so far. 2-claimer who I was the only claimant on until a few hours before waivers executed. Not a great guy prospect, but maybe better than others in my minors.
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
ok, that sounds like i’m in the same track then as everyone else.: I’ll hope for better luck tonight and tomorrow.
Will just go through and see if an FA’s can help me out.. I just made it to V, I don’t want to go back down after one season.. lol..
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I only have claims on players that sound like car insurance agents. Like Jackson Webb. That's who I'll have a claim on. Difference maker Jackson Webb. And if he can't play baseball, he can fall back right?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I actually find its a little easier to claim players during the season because there are fewer teams searching the wires. Still advise you make claims all the time, the more you make, the better your odds of getting someone.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm finding more and more that I a lot of the guys that I think look good at first glance have actually been out of the league for a couple years. Over "weeding" has resulting in a lot of flowers wilting prematurely :(
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I’ve noticed that, myself. There’s only so much space in the garden, though…
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Let's rename this thread to; Chauncey Gardiner talks baseball.

There will be growth in the garden this spring.

Updated Wednesday, June 17 2020 @ 8:21:10 pm PDT
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
man I am batting a strong .000 so far.. lol.. at least I’ve found some decent FA claims so far I hope..

Good luck to everyone else, lol
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I used to get pretty frustrated during the opening waiver period. Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that in pre-season, it's best to put the claims in and forget about them. If you win one, it's a bonus. If not, you weren't expecting to anyway.
scowley75

Davis Devils
V.12

Broken Bat Baseball
I figured claiming someone on waivers would show up as an alert.

I had a P on my roster for at least a couple days before I noticed I got him.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Nope, you have to check your Transactions page every day.
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
i got one!!!! I got this pitcher, hopefully he can turn into a decent closet for me.

http://brokenbat.org/player/189724

Updated Friday, June 19 2020 @ 11:21:36 am PDT
Gunnar

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@ Kinthin Hope he does better for you then he did me. I tried him at Starter and MR but he did not seem to work out there well for me just too many HR's given up off of his arm.
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
lol yea I saw his numbers.. I’m hoping he can pick up some better numbers.. that sucks you tried him at MR already, lol.. maybe i’ll make him a RHS or something for the year
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Yea it can be really sad when you find a player who would be good or even great when their scouting updates their potential, but they've already lost years of training. I think it would be good for the health of the game if free agents got minors playing time like all the other players. Since we already don't have full minor teams or control of their play other than level, I don't think it would disadvantage managers.
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
38 and 42 saves back in the day - maybe worth a shot?
Kinthin

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
yea that’s what I’m hoping.. I like his WHIP numbers, he also had almost 3:1 k/BB ratio, his AVG against wasn’t terrible either, around .240 both LH/RH.. so i’m hoping he can harness it all together and become decent.. maybe tick up a couple more SI in the control or COS/mov area..

if he sucks, hopefully he just doesn’t cost me my level 5 first year I’m up here, lol..
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Yea it can be really sad when you find a player who would be good or even great when their scouting updates their potential, but they've already lost years of training. I think it would be good for the health of the game if free agents got minors playing time like all the other players. Since we already don't have full minor teams or control of their play other than level, I don't think it would disadvantage managers.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Even better for the game if people didn't "weed" out players willy-nilly ;)
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock the only kinds of players I weed are like young 9’s or 10’s with “terrible” comments like wild pitchers or bad hitters. I like the idea of getting those guys off mine and everyone else’s draft board in years to come. Thoughts?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You may have done an ok job, but a lot of folks have weeded out POT 10s who were really POT 12s and strong players. That's what all these guys on the board are. If we want them to mature, leave them in the minors. I don't see the need to weed players out. Steve will make more good players if there too few. If we weed out the "bad players", it just means more bad players need to be created at the start of the year. The overall player quality won't change (otherwise the game would break), and a lot of the people weeding don't seem to know what they are doing. So safer if no one weeded.

POT 12s now sometimes look like POT 10s initially. This has lead people to think that the quality has reduced (when it hasn't). It has also led people to think that they can increase the quality by weeding (which is probably false).

BTW, the likelihood of that same player getting back on your board is low. Weeding out bad players just increases the quality of your oppositions' draft picks. I don't think you are helping yourself when you weed.

As a general rule, I think it is best to play this game as a simulation or role playing game (not trying to meta-game). If a real-life team wouldn't draft the guy, why would you do it in the game. Drafting a bad player in real life, doesn't make other players magically get better, so why would it in the game?

Updated Friday, June 19 2020 @ 8:17:30 pm PDT
wuggla

VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
Got 2 Claimed tonight 3hrs till they are claimed. 1 has 42 and is young 3B in making 2 has 34 he's 2.5mil SS can he play with 3B for me? Both add up to 1&38 chances lotto numbers are way higher :)
wuggla

VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
Drafting and waiting for development is my favorite part. Example A "CSB" that me drafted round 1 pick M.Alba a 2B pool prospect new he was 14Pot since I've had him he has gained 5SI. This what's Rock777 is saying they changed now before 2040 they did not. It works both ways that 11pot 1st pick could be a dream build 13pot with good scouting and training update they can grow from 10-15SI in a season. If you make bad picks on purpose you really hurting yourself.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
ATM, I've been able to take 3 guys this offseason, despite claims over dozens of players.

One had 3 claims.
One had 1 claim.
One was free agent.

Not easy to reinforce a team when you can't gain players. I don't wanna say excellent players, pot 15 or something, but at least useful/role players, the type of players I've searched since I was a little team in VI and that brought me to the title in Legends.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
A possible fix for all these free agents and "weeded" picks would be to require teams to carry a more "complete" minor leagues roster so that all of these young players would have a shot to prove themselves.

To otherwise keep things the way they are, we could only allow for 50 total players in your organization to have contracts at any one time. You'd have to cut a contract player before you could offer a contract to one of these minor leaguers. Game would basically stay the same, but we would have a chance at watching a 9 POT turning out to be a 12. Or, a 10 POT who hits fifty homers a season in A ball. Be nice if he was in your minors that whole time instead of on the trash-heap. As it is, the lower minors might as well have tumbleweeds rolling through. Some homegrown dead-enders to weed through would be a fun distraction from your team's league woes.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
32 Colorado Springs? As Seca once said, not verbatim, looks like a team that is nervous.

We had 11 and got 2, 1 will stick around.
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't like that idea. This is set up as a casual game. Having free agents improve will give the biggest gains to owners who constantly monitor free agents. Just say no to time wasters.
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
That would be a significant change. We'd have to scour the globe for players much more frequently.

I 'member when Bo Jackson was making a comeback and he was training crazy as a free agent, or was he still under contract with the Chicago White Sox? Anyways, free agents sometimes do train a bit before leaving sports entirely and transitioning into that 9-5 home and auto insurance sales lifestyle and so on!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
They are just 1s and 0s. I don't feel bad for the player, only myself when I see the guy has been out of the league for 3 years and probably won't develop well. I don't think its so much of an issue, it just highlights that "weeding" carelessly means removing good players from the amateur system. And there has been a LOT of careless "weeding" happening.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
They are just 1s and 0s.

Fun is his middle name.

As far as draft 'N' dump, you were pointing out (very mildly) bad behavior, and I was suggesting a way to incentivise slightly better behavior.

We're also looking at the very real possability of a year without sports. Any little thing that gets added to this game will be doubly important this year.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
it would be good for the health of the game

Perhaps. It would cause some talent inflation. Maybe a lot of inflation depending on how long you train free agents.

It's hard to predict the effects of that. Greater player liquidity? More parity? As sports fans we may think parity is a good thing, but I'm not convinced it would mean more satisfying game play.

I also question if it would achieve the goal. There are 3-4 things you are looking for in a prospect:
- potential
- written scouting
- current skills (age)
- minor/amateur performance (not everyone looks for this)
If a prospect checks all the boxes he is going to be heavily contested. The ones you have a realistic shot at are missing one of the above.

Personally I don't feel any changes to the game are needed. Some managers are maybe a little slow adapting to the new system. Of the 4 criteria I listed above the best way (imo) to find a "deal" is identifying lower pot guys that stand a good chance of improving. 3/4 of my watch list this offseason was 10 & 11s. The only guys I managed to sign were 11s.

@ Haselrig,
Dino philosophy is to only draft players if we are prepared to keep them for a couple weeks and give them a bit of minor league play. If I understand your suggestion - would the same thing be accomplished by having (say) a 2 week wait time before you could cut a draftee?

I'm not sure I'm a fan. One of my concerns with the new draft was that players wouldn't be drafted and liquidity would dry up. Forcing teams to retain draftees would be another disincentive to draft.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
You'd have a set minimum per minor league level. How you fill those spots is up to you. We could all hang on to that superstar until he's celebrating his centennial anniversary breaking in with your team if you felt like it. Draft picks could be cut immediately as now.

The thing to keep in mind is that these players would have no contracts and could be signed by anyone. If we wanted to get fancy, I could see having an alert with a set number of days to match the offer. Other than that, it would just be that each franchise would have their own lagoon in the free agent pool. They'd still be in the pool.

As far as parity, it would represent redistribution of penny wealth in a dollar game. Strong teams would be raising players to be contributors on lower-league teams. Those contributors would have never played baseball as the game is now.

All changes represent risk in one form or another for a game like BB. That's why I rarely make suggestions for changes anymore. Very hard to predict the value of any new "modules" for the game. In this case, aside from any coding conflicts that might pop up, I think we can assume some additional data would be produced. all-in-all, I doubt it's worth doing, but it would give us more baseball.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The skill inflation / parity comment was directed at universal training for free agent prospects.

I'm not sure I'm quite getting the suggestion. Teams are basically designating a list of players not on their roster to receive training?

I don't see why I'd do that unless I had some way of protecting the player (ie., your matching idea). But as soon as you provide some protection this becomes an end around way of expanding rosters.

Not trying to be overly critical of the suggestion. Do like your suggestions. :)
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
This was more of a comment than a suggestion. I tend to sleep a couple times and take a walk or two on suggestions. I don't see this being a winner. The risks outweigh any benefit which would be 90% flavor.

The kernel of the idea would be the free agents could audition for your team while filling an otherwise empty uniform of one of your minors teams. The benefit to the game would be that he receives training he would otherwise miss out on.

I would think the advantage would go to the holding team as far as noticing your bad scouting report, right-handed, 8 POT 1B is sitting at .20 GB/FB and on pace to hit 70 HRs. You might even develop some urgency to sign that guy in case he's something. I can't think of too many instances where urgency is the driver in this game. The day free agency ends and you want to sign that priority free agent you've had bookmarked since the AS game?
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Instead of giving training to free agents, why not to adds 10 slots to every minor league roster?
There's a couple of pot10/11 which I've cut with more than a chance to stick in my roster.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow.
Like many of you I had a bunch of waivers out the last few days. There were 2 young 15pot pitchers picked up today that were very enticing and should both turn out to be good to very good. Hernandez had 108 claims on him while Angeles had 78 and both went to Florence!

That team just set up the foundation for their pitching of the future in one day. The owner has been here 1 week and likely has no idea their luck.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
There's a couple of pot10/11 which I've cut with more than a chance to stick in my roster.

Salgado perhaps? I'm super excited about him. If all of his written scouting hits floors (16 great hit, 14 decent slug, 15 amaz field) he's at 88 SI w/o his BC and PD moving an inch. Think he's got a great chance to be a 12 pot (30 HR guy, gold glove 1B ... I can dream).

We shouldn't lose sight of the context. We are still feeling the ripples of the new draft. Rosters have been jammed up b/c of the wealth of the 2041 draft class. This has meant a few more prospects than usual have slipped through the cracks.

But as we reach equilibrium this is less of an issue. More teams will have the flexibility to pick up lottery tickets moving forward.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Seca: no, it's not him. I don't like his build, his potential (despite good scouting) and his stats.
I was talking about http://brokenbat.org/player/251428.
Nice scouting, a legit build for a dh/1b type, LHH, nice amateur stats.
But I'm not in a position where I can allow myself the luxury of growing a pot 10 player that MAYBE could be a pot 12.

Updated Monday, June 22 2020 @ 11:10:42 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Interesting. I see Salgado as superior (or at worst equal) to Marin in every way.

But I'm not in a position where I can allow myself the luxury of growing a pot 10 player that MAYBE could be a pot 12.

Hehe. Ya. You've got a bit of a problem. 20 pitchers on your 50 man, 19 of them ML or ML ready. The only exception is 23 yr old Marchetti who could get his ML recommendation any training update now.

Hopefully you can start making some decisions. I'd be terrified if my youngest pitcher was 23 and had no arms placed below AAA.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not overly worried about the lack of pitching depth. It was a choice, somehow, picking hitters over pitchers lately.
I'm worried about stunting, about not winning claims, about bad drafting, about dropping potential, about imploding pitchers (take Ramirez for example) and so on.

Because of this problems, which could affect a pot 10 too, I have to go with higher potential to limit damages.
I'm not happy with this, I'm a moneyball guy since I started my adventure here in BrokenBat, but I feel like I'm in a blind alley.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You know, I'm a defense-first. So my bar is very high for hitters, I need depth for dealing with the ones that don't develop the bat.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I respect your accomplishments here. Not trying to pick a fight. :) But a "moneyball" BrokenBat manager wouldn't be hung up on potential.

Getting stuck on potential leads to all those other problems - disappointment with the draft, disappointment with waivers. Since you are working from high pot you face more chance of downside revisions than upside revisions. If you prioritize potential over player growth or minor league stats you get more guys that "stunt" (I assume you are using the Rock777 definition) and implode.

Ramirez is a good example. What do you like about him besides the 14 pot? His movement is meh which means a lot of HRs. His velocity is meh which means a lot of hits. I find it hard to say he imploded last season. I think he's been bad every season except for 2044.

Again I hope I'm not sounding critical. But I feel the reason you are in a "blind alley" is because you are wearing blinders.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Seca: oh I wasn't trying to pick a fight too (and didn't think you did). Excuse me if I gave that impression.

I'm not leaning only on pot, clearly. But if I have to make a choice, probably I'm going to hold higher pots. You know that defense drains a lot of skill points, scouted skills are not enough for me and they stunt anyway (in my experience, at least).
I don't like it, obviously, but a player like Salgado - aside from his pot - has 0,1% chance to be on my roster because of his defense primarily (too points drained for a homeless pos player).

Ramirez has never been that bad as last season. I have a positive experience with pitcher not relying on strikeout numbers, so his velocity was not a problem for me. I'd have preferred a switch between CoS and MOV, but could have been ok. His minor league numbers wasn't crazy but decent. Has a good GB/FB ratio despite the movement. Good K/BB ratio.
Leave apart his HR proneness at ML level: see K/BB and ST% ratio last season... don't match with his career numbers and career progress.
Last season has been strange for my starters (Noel and White was meh but in a strange way), except Lynch.

Anyway, we're extremely out of topic.

Last night I've won a 2-claimers (oh yeah! exciting!): a Korean table setter, without power and speed, LH/RH 3B against RHP maybe, or maybe no.

Updated Monday, June 22 2020 @ 1:27:40 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Heh. I knew you weren't agitating. Thought I might be sounding too critical.

Noh is sort of what I'm talking about. He was lifetime under 600 OPS in the minors. A little better in the majors but he's got no speed and hammers the ball into the ground. If you give him 500 ABs he's going to lead your team GIDP. 13 fld is ok, but he's not going to give great defense at 1B or 3B b/c of position knowledge.

I don't think he's a Scott Hatteberg.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Don't worry Seca, it's always a pleasure to talk with you and discuss different POVs.

I've bet he has something else in the tank, otherwise it's an easy cut.
You looked at his ops in the minors and that's ok, but he was young, undeveloped while collecting the larger portion of his AB, and then he went up and down.
He has his flaws undoubtedly, but I need him possibly as a on base man against RHP.
You bet on pot10, I bet on "island of misfits toys" ;)

Updated Tuesday, June 23 2020 @ 1:37:44 am PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm with Seca on players like Noh. Anyone who is an extreme groundball hitter - and by process a GIDP guy - is to be avoided at all costs. I cut O'Conner in the prime of his career because of his extreme groundball tendencies - the bad tends to outweigh the good, in my estimation. The defence is probably solid but nothing more, and unlikely to outweigh the lack of offence.

On the other hand I'm not sold on Salgado. If he hits the minimum of 12pot with that report he might be a 6 BC/6 PD guy, which means a 13 HR, .230 BA player (with a great glove).

Each to their own. :)
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Everything is possible, I'm not here saying Noh will be a stud, absolutely. He may be a situational fix.

O'Conner, for example, lacked also a defensive home: 19 arm, but lefty, penalized as a catcher.

There are ton of players out there, everyone with their flaws. And ton of managers, everyone with their philisophies.
Not every player could be a pot15, flyballer with 20 power, PD, BC, Hitting etc.
Very often there are combos which don't work such as speedsters who don't steal or ppl with towering power which put the ball in the dirt. We unfortunately couldn't rework their swing or their attitude, we could only claim or pick and develop, but it's mostly a matter of luck.
wuggla

VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
Have 4 claimed hope is faded finding a 3B before season start.
Lewis Wahl's at 70 with 3hrs to go?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey, I got one. Not great, but he'll fill a uni until somebody else comes along. Meanwhile, we'll see if turning up his steals will get some results out of that 19 speed.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Shame he doesn't know much about playing OF.

Not a great off-season for Waterloo. Come away with a 2 claimer, 2 1 claim guys, and a free agent. We'll take it.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey, I'll have you know, these are The Novi "Defense is a thing, now?" Doubledays. We have a tradition to uphold here :P

He's going to play full time RF at least vs. lhp whenever I hit the tank button this season. Add to his position coaches malpractice, his numbers aren't very encouraging. Looks like a one-dimensional offensive player and that dimension is pretty small.

I have a bunch of young OF claims from last year I need to shake down to see who's going to be part of the long-term mediocrity.
Meccanodonte

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Had a claim on him, but in the end I was too worried about his lack of outfielder elegibility.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Definitely not a Whoo hoo! moment in the front offices when the ticker tape was read to us. I had three claims out today, he was the one I was crossing my fingers behind my back on.

If he had one more thing going for him, I'd be a little excited about him. Looks like an above average contact guy that hits it into the dirt a whole lot. I'm between eras, so I'm more willing to take some flyers on guys, but he's not far down the cut list.
wuggla

VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
Got 2claimed. 1 40waiver and 1 20waiver. Should I cut for better odds of winning 1? Tuesday last day FA/WA close!!!

Previous Page | Show Page |