Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Salary Increases: Are They Just Random?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Comparing two players on my team, even given the small sample size, seems to suggest that it is far more random than structured.

Case: http://brokenbat.org/player/65224 vs. http://brokenbat.org/player/89707

Player 1 increased by .55 M after 96 AB combined on three different rosters.

Player 2 decreased .60 M after representing the USA in the World Classic, Being an All-Star, All-League and League MVP. He came in 2nd in steals and hit .285/.371/.510 and hit 25 HRs. I don;t think I could ask for much more from CF (why no Golden Glove maybe).

These two may just be outliers but it would seem these two make cases that something might be fishy in the salary attribution system.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The Montes raise seems consistent with my experience. This guy has been sky rocketing...

Michael is a complete mystery to me. I'd count your lucky starts and hope the BB IRS doesn't come calling.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Keep in mind the salary is based on the past three seasons. Thus if the last season was worse than the season 4 game years ago the salary could go down.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@newt Michael's last season was much better than the previous 2 though. While Montes was so shipped off 3 squad in the past season (which isn't taken into account most likely) but is brought up s a failing point of the salary calculation in one capacity or another. I might be the only person crazy (read as::stupid) enough to keep a 3.9 M backup SS.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@newt That doesn't seem right. My guy had a MUCH better season 3 years ago than he did last year, but his salary went up almost 1 Million.

Updated Sunday, August 23 2015 @ 2:39:11 pm PDT
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Im hurting over a 2.35 M raise from Felix. He's been the anchor of my bullpen, so that makes it a little easier to swallow. But 3.9 M raise in the past two seasons is crazy, just hope this little trend doesn't continue.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
How did my CY Young winner Doug Pierce only get a .50 raise? He was first in ERA, 2nd in wins, and 3rd in K's. So to answer the question, I'm guessing the salary increases are random.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I got blind-sided again this season. One of these season's I'll be ready. Was Daniel this time. Got a 2.25 million raise, representing a 78% increase in his salary.

It's the cost of bringing in developed players through free agency I guess. A financially sustainable roster probably only has a couple out-of-house guys.

Did notice Fischer's contract saw a substantial cut. Tiger504 a better negotiator? Senior discount? (Fischer's age, not Tiger504's :) ).
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I had two backup infielders making a combined 5.8 mil last season, Kennedy and Kirby. I have no idea why salaries are so weird, but from the discussions about it in the past Steve said there is an algorithm and it is not just random. Over 30 year old players do tend to ask for more money though so I'd get ready for a major price increase on Michael next season.

Updated Sunday, August 23 2015 @ 3:24:23 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Pierce is home grown. You are getting a discount. Would get the same discount if the player wasn't drafted by your club, but joined when he was young and did his development with your team.

When a player gets released from the team that developed him, he gets a bump in salary. He also follows a different track in terms of salary increases. Guys like Daniel often seem to make a big correction the first off-season with their non home club.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Seca Homegrown vs. Free Agent make a lot of sense, I hadn't considered that aspect.

As far as getting ready to pay Michael, I was ready for the explosion this season.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I have not figured out how salaries are figured in the year+ I've been here but I suspect at bats and innings pitched may have a bigger impact than actual performance.
As far as Fischer goes, I am wondering if my relegation had an impact, and conversely, promotion would likely impact as well. I had Velez go from 5 million plus to 3 million plus as well, so I had a couple of large salaried acquisitions drop significantly this spring.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh, yeah. I forgot that home grown pitchers have a discount. Thx for the explanation Seca.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
On a side note - remember the 9 million dollar third baseman? He's a 13 million dollar third baseman now ;)
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In league level 5/6? What kind of a fool picks up a player with that big of a contract at that low a level? I bet his finances are severely in the red unless the rest of his players are $0.5mil rookies.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Top 3 position players make over 25 M combined. Which is more than all my position players combined. Geez.

But it looks like signing a bunch of free agents is bad for business.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I guess the Dan Snyder philosophy doesn't work in Broken Bat either :)
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Well he did promote. 119 wins and 8 runs a game. Those guys paid off against division six pitching. One guy had 175 rbi's.

Whatever he was doing wasn't working. Started in D3 and steadily dropped. Maybe this was a last ditch effort.

I do still think Dan Snyder would mess up an Arena 2 league team ;)
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I hope Dan Snyder stays at the skins for a millennium, he sucks,sucks, and sucks some more.

I am an Eagles fan................

Previous Page | Show Page |