League Forum

Forum >> Leagues >> League III.4   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Alyksandur

Boca Raton Gryphons
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
 It’s that time again! (Well, slightly past that time, but let’s not quibble.)
The usual disclaimers apply: This is strictly by-the-numbers, very quick-n’-dirty, good/bad is only in comparison to the divisional average, and in no way should any of this be taken as gospel.

———————————————

W E S T   D I V I S I O N

Makakilo Eruption

The Eruption are generally above average from on offensive standpoint, though they’re a bit impatient at the plate. They’re one of III.4’s fastest teams, which will make it difficult to contain them. Their fielding and range are both good, but the weakest arms in the league will make them susceptible to their own brand of offense. Most of their pitching is a bit below average, with only stamina and West best control being above average.

Prediction: t-3rd — Their bats and gloves will keep them competitive, but their pitching will doom them.

Lahaina Mules

The Mules have the lowest bat control in III.4 and are tied for the lowest power in the West. Their other offensive tools, including speed, are almost right at the division’s average. Their range, conversely, is one of the West’s worst despite that, and their arms are similarly poor. Their pitching, however, is excellent, with exceptional velocity, division best movement and being tied for league best change of speed, though their control could use some work.

Prediction: 6th — Sluggish fielding and inadequate bats will prove too much for the pitching to overcome.

Littleton Genesiz

The Genesiz are the league’s supreme contact team by a wide margin, with league best discipline ensuring that they will have plenty of baserunners. Their power and speed are lacking, however, which will lead to a station to station running game — or lots of hit-and-run plays. Their fielding is the worst in III.4, and their range is decidedly subpar. Their pitching features excellent change of speed and the West’s highest stamina, but are otherwise below average at best.

Prediction: t-3rd — Parades of baserunners won’t score enough for the pitching and defense.

Burbank Entertainers

The Entertainers are far and away the worst offensive team in the West, with the lowest contact and plate discipline in the division. Their speed leads the league, but won’t contribute much with as few baserunners as they’ll have. That speed translates to a tie for III.4’s best range, but the poor gloves will lead to frustrating defense. The very slightly above average movement is the highlight of their pitching; it all goes downhill from there.

Prediction: 6th — A young, rebuilding team could benefit from a season or two in IV to… well… season the kids a bit.

Simi Valley Pirates

The Pirates are a bit low on contact, but the rest of their offensive tools are among the West’s best — including league leading bat control. Their speed is well above average as well; this team could as easily opt for “three true outcome” as smallball. League best range and excellent arms in the field make this a good defensive team. Poor control and division worst movement may test that defense, however, despite the excellent velocity and change of speed.

Prediction: 1st — Versatile offense and solid defense will be up to the task given by erratic pitching.

Ventura Aces

The Aces will rely on their division best power for a lot of their offense. Their bat control is good, but the lowest speed in III.4 lends itself poorly to smallball or aggressive running. Their range is at the bottom of the division, as you might expect, but their fielding leads the West and their arms lead III.4. They lack stamina and change of speed on the mound, but their control and movement are superb and their league best velocity will blow opposing hitters away.

Prediction: 2nd — Offense, defense, and pitching are all just a tick short of claiming the pennant.

————————————————————

E A S T   D I V I S I O N

Ann Arbor Wolverines

The Wolverines have good power at the plate, but are otherwise mediocre at the top end with not even their speed being worth writing home about. This is an offense that will prove maddeningly inconsistent. Their fielding is every bit as inconsistent, and their East leading range and arms will only help to highlight that. Their velocity on the mound is impressive, but no other pitching tool is up to snuff.

Prediction: 4th — They won’t be consistently good enough to contend or consistently bad enough to demote.

Old Bridge Trolls

The Trolls excel at contact and bat control while packing more power than anyone in the league — bombs away! Their speed is lacking, but how much speed do you need in a trot, anyway? They have the best fielding in the league, but also the worst range and mediocre arms, and will be vulnerable to high-contact-high-speed offenses. Their change of speed is tied for the league’s best and both control and movement are good, though velocity and stamina are a touch low.

Prediction: t-2nd — The offense won’t always keep up with what the defense allows, but they’ll do it enough for a race.

Brockton Bombers

The Bombers are III.4’s least patient team with the East’s worst bat control, but are also the division’s best contact team with a lot of power — they’ll swing at everything and make it go a long way. Being the East’s slowest team will make them reliant on those plentiful longballs. Their fielding is good, though range is a touch short. They have the best movement in the East with comfortably above average pitching tools elsewhere, though they lack stamina.

Prediction: t-2nd — If the pitching and defense can shut down the opposition on bad offensive days, they’ll contend.

Miami Gardens Broncos

The Broncos are the lightest hitting team in III.4 by far, with the worst contact by far and anemic power. Good bat control and division best discipline and speed points toward a walk-before-you-run brand of smallball mentality. Their range is good in the field, but poor fielding and unimpressive arms will lead to big innings by their opponents. They have the lowest velocity and control in III.4, meaning they’ll need the excellent movement and stamina to stay in games.

Prediction: 6th — They’ll allow far too many runners while not having nearly enough of their own.

Sunrise Octopuses

The Octopuses are an excellent offensive ballclub in everything but power, where they rank at the bottom of the league. Lackluster speed on top of that will make for a lot of station to station baserunning with the good potential for the hit-and-run. Their defensive tools are all well above average. They have the East’s highest stamina and III.4’s highest velocity — heat for days — but control is low and change of speed and movement are the worst in the division and league, respectively.

Prediction: 1st — …At least on paper. Strikeouts and homers by the pitching require no defensive input, but the offense will be consistent.

Boca Raton Gryphons

The Gryphons are a good contact team, but lack both patience and power. This is another team that will play station to station or hit-and-run a lot, given their somewhat subpar speed. Their range almost average, but their arms are inadequate and fielding is abysmal. They have the worst stamina in the East and below average velocity, but they have good movement, lead the division in change of speed, and have the best control in III.4 by an impressive margin.

Prediction: 5th — A pitch to contact staff paired with that defense is the stuff of nightmares, and the offense won’t help enough.

————————————————————

Playoff prediction: Simi Valley Pirates in five — Octopus pitching plays too much to the Pirates’ strength.
sadman

Shamokin Hot Chili's
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Awesome summary Aleksandur. Hope it turns out to be right! The trolls have a number of rookies this year, off to a good start. Good luck all!
Jobywan

Makakilo Eruption
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ten games into interleague play and the West is putting up a pretty good stomping with a record of 35-25.

Can the East answer?
Alyksandur

Boca Raton Gryphons
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
 I don’t know what Lahaina is doing with their visitor’s clubhouse, but I just came out of the series against them with four leg or foot injuries… x.x
Jobywan

Makakilo Eruption
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Lahaina gets it done in the West with stellar pitching and fielding! GL in the playoffs, bro!
sadman

Shamokin Hot Chili's
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Good luck in the playoff's Boca and Lahina. Pretty tough to pick who is the stronger team!

More wins vs better run differential. Ill tip Boca as they smashed the Trolls all season.
Alyksandur

Boca Raton Gryphons
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
 Heh, I was just looking at the league stats to see what my chances against Lahaina look like before coming over here to check the league thread to see this. Thanks for the vote of confidence. ^.^

Lahaina is a bit better on batting average and OBP, but I’m a little better on slugging and a lot better on anything even vaguely small ball related and hit into the fewest double plays in the league. Run production was more or less even, though, and that’s sort of the more important stat there, if you ask me.

The Gryphons had the stingiest pitching in the league, but the Mules are right up there close behind us. We’ve got a slightly more homer-happy than they are, but we also hit more than they do, so that’s probably a wash.

The most telling stat is probably that we gave up around twice as many unearned runs, so they definitely have us beat on defense, but even taking that into consideration we gave up fewer runs overall.

Going to the season series between us wasn’t helpful either, we split it 5-5.

See ya on the field, Frankebasta. This promises to be a fun one. ^.^
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Just a few observations at the All Star break.

I don't recall seeing a more imbalanced East vs West dynamic than this season. In my experience, these imbalances almost always favor the East. This year the East has no teams with a winning record at the break. Impressive output by the West and just slightly frustrating on my end.

And yet, the East won the all star game 😆

I'm hoping the Bloody Tigers gel and settle down for the second half. There's been some really nice performances but not quite the depth of production from last season and I've moved alot of pieces around.

I'm wondering if the biggest issue isn't just trying to break in a new 25 year old second round draft pick this year, 15 pot from Japan, at catcher no less. I think I have to find a spot for him and if he was acquired younger, catcher or 3b make the most sense. However, all my other young hotshots with big potential are best suited for 2b, ss, 3b or can be double trained as inf/of. And I've got at least one 3b ready to go. So catcher it is. This is the first time I've tried shoe horning a player into an untrained position in a long time. We'd like to promote this season. In my opinion you have to promote every chance you get because there is often one team better any given season. But if we're going to promote and stay there, having this young guy at catcher seems almost like a must to me. What a balancing act.

Good luck to all of III.4 the rest of the way and congratulations to everyone on their accomplishments so far.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Rare in my experience as well. As a Western team, you're usually maneuvering to hold on and hope to steal the playoff from the East team in a short series.
Divac

Florence Violets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Because my claun show can't win at home even for their miserable digital lifes.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page