Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Best non-closer   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
https://brokenbat.org/player/247232

With the retirement of franchise legend Jevon Lowery, it got me thinking about non-closers. What is the best non-closer reliever you've had on your team?

I personally have always been a fan of the high-volume relief strategy, where you take a talented guy with 9-12 stamina and run them into the ground in relief, throwing 140 IP per year. They hold up a lot better stamina-wise doing this than if they just started.
tamale

Concord Jets
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Scot Richardson is mine. But Jun Seo Sohn is not too far behind him.

In the entire game and of all time, Burt Rutherford comes to mind.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 DFB is almost certainly enshrining Thomas Janssens at the end of his career. I’ve had a few good ones through the years, but I can’t think of anyone who did what this guy’s done.
Alyksandur

Boca Raton Gryphons
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
 Matías Delgado most readily comes to mind for the Gryphons, though Georg Ahrens has certainly made a case for himself.

Going back a bit further to the team’s days as the Seagulls, I’d have to give an honorable mention to “The Improbable” Danny Gunn. While certainly not the best in terms of ERA, many were the times where he came in for the second or third inning for a slumping starter and held the fort long enough for the offense to wake up.

Updated Saturday, March 2 2024 @ 9:40:05 am PST
geigerted

Queens Park Rangers
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The best guy I've had in that role was Min Kyu Jeng, who had six straight seasons with 200+ innings pitched without starting a single game.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Norm "The Paradox" Parodi probably should be in the discussion, although he spent a little time everywhere (including Starter and Closer).

Orlando Ortega was probably Haverhill's best pure Relief pitcher. You can't go wrong with a Relief boasting a sub 0.9 H/IP career ratio.

BTW, Burt Rutherford is insane. Almost feels like cheating to have a guy like that on the roster :D

Updated Sunday, March 3 2024 @ 9:13:26 am PST
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
There are kids that, when you see them you say "Look, the eight inning is yours" and for a few seasons for us that bullpen arm was Mickey "Three" Wiseman.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Almost feels like cheating

Haha! That's the pitcher pool for ya. :)

No secret he's a big part of the recent Dino success. And this thread goes straight for my heart. I figure the 3 most important players on your team are your SS, your CF, and your primary setup man.

Dinos have had some great ones. Greene. Grasso. Booth. O'Neill. But Rutherford will be the best.

(Will fill in some player links when not kn my phone).
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
https://brokenbat.org/player/280855 Bähr for sure. Admittedly I'm a bit newer than some of the guys on this thread. But in his prime he was wicked

Updated Friday, March 22 2024 @ 9:25:56 pm PDT

gosh darn it i'm so rusty that i forgot the hyperlink format

Updated Friday, March 22 2024 @ 9:27:07 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |