Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> "Modern Era"   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I was reflecting on lostraven's championship and scrolling through the Hall of Champions and I went off in a historical side-road wondering when the modern era in BB began.

The Thunder Bay vs. Orlando period feels like something different. Akin to the Silver Age or middle period. I ended up marking the change-over to the modern era to Waterloo ending the Thunder Bay dynasty in '29. What's everybody else's take?
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh my! My first season was 2028. I was young and dumb at that point, and I certainly had no concept of real long-term history then. I did, admittedly, poke my nose in to Legends a few times, to see what all the hype was all about, and, more importantly, to see what it took to climb from VI to Legends.

That said, and given my present circumstances, I think a bit of digging through the archives of the forums and team histories would make for a fine winter project. I actually have a keen interest in data and information preservation, yet only within the last five or six years have I come to appreciate history more.

All that's to say that I can't really weigh in on your question, but I'd enjoy trying to dig up the clues (in the form of forum posts and team histories) to argue one way or another!

Edit: For example, have to go back nearly 350 pages to view posts from roughly back then. Funny, here's talk of Terminators, Skynet, and Man vs. Machine in late 2015. Funny stuff!

Updated Thursday, November 12 2020 @ 8:05:05 am PST
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I remember that post. I'm guessing that's from when Mig left the game in a huff and his Orlando team went bot.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I remember that post. I'm guessing that's from when Mig left the game in a huff and his Orlando team went bot.

That's about where I put the "modern era" beginning at. Maybe it's just me, but the when Steve added POT to the FA search, it feels like more team owners got more teams competitive and in turn, kept and grew the player base. It was just easier for more casual players to locate better talent.

Finding FA/waivers then was like finding managers today.

Of course, we had Haselrig's top FA list which he printed on his dot-matrix printer and faxed to everybody. So that was nice.

Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Little known fact, I built my house out of the tracks I carefully tore off each page :)
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Hehe. I still have some dot matrix paper stashed in my desk at work. :)

Maybe it's just me, but the when Steve added POT to the FA search, it feels like more team owners got more teams competitive and in turn, kept and grew the player base. It was just easier for more casual players to locate better talent.

I have 4 "eras".

1) Pre-waivers.
Free agents got dumped at 3AM, first come, first served. This was before my time.
2) Waivers.
Now obvious good players are contested. Potential gems still available for those willing to do the work sifting through the waiver list.
3) Search by potential.
Now all high pot players are contested. The hidden gems are now over-performing 12s and 13s.
4) Manager revamp.
Black box got a little darker.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I really can't categorise BB into eras. I want to say I've "only" been here since the 2026 season, but that means I've been here nearly five full years! Birmingham and Thunder Bay were the leading lights back then, and the Athletics are still (always) strong. I kinda expected TwoPlums to keep conquering but...eventually we all find out how tough the game (baseball) can be.

Broken Bat continues to get more and more competitive, I guess as GMs figure out more about the game and about their teams and how to work with what they've got. It is really hard at the top, and I think you can prove it with one fact: not one team currently in Legends has been there for more than five consecutive seasons (Burlington will have by the start of next season). Some teams have bounced up and down (some more than once) but as a rule you don't stay at the top for long, because the competition is so fierce.

I managed six seasons in Legends, averaging 98 wins across the first four and reaching the finals three times, winning twice. And yet I'm already demoting back to LLIII just four seasons later. Frankly I'd be shocked if anyone matches Seca's absurd 18-season run at the very top.

Updated Thursday, November 12 2020 @ 12:53:18 pm PST
KrusherKev

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just looked up the history and...WOW...SECA should probably be put into a Broken Bat Hall of Fame or something, amazing to see 18 BB seasons in a row finishing in the top 8 rank overall...all while in Legends division...totally mind-blowing

Especially considering he has to pay an extra 30% for salaries with damn weak Canadian dollar :)

Updated Thursday, November 12 2020 @ 1:16:52 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page