Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> LOB - Left On Base   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
There are aren't two type of left on base:

left on base

A baserunner is said to be left on base (abbreviated LOB) or stranded when the half-inning ends and he has not scored or been put out. This includes a batter-runner who has hit into a fielder's choice, causing another runner to be put out as the 3rd out.[5]

Team LOB totals are commonly reported in a baseball box score. It counts only those left standing on the bases when the third out of an inning occurs. Team LOB is used in "proving" a box score. The number of a team's plate appearances is to equal the sum of that team's runs, that team's LOB, and the opposing team's putouts. In other words, every batter who completes a plate appearance is accounted for by a run scored, being put out, or LOB.

Individual LOB totals are sometimes reported in baseball box scores. This is a more recent statistic that is computed for each player who is at bat at least once in a game and is calculated on how many baserunners were "left on base" when the player was at-bat and caused an out, no matter how many outs there were at the time. Note that "at bat" does not include other plate appearances such as sacrifice bunts or flies made by the batter, third outs caused by pickoffs or caught stealing, or games ended with the winning run scoring on a successful steal, etc. Two common misconceptions of the individual LOB are that the individual LOB is the number of times the player was left on base as a baserunner (this is a "runner's LOB" and is not usaully recorded), or that the the individual LOB applies only when the at-bat player caused the third out. Note that the total of the individual LOBs for all players on a team will usually exceed the team LOB.

A related statistic is "left on base in scoring position", which includes only those LOB where the runner was occupying second or third base. Yet another related statistic is "left on base in scoring position with less than two out". The intention of these statistics is to measure the tendency of a team or player wasting an opportunity to score.

We're going to add LOB to the boxscore, just wondering how we want to report it.

Steve

Updated Friday, October 31 2014 @ 3:59:20 pm PDT
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd say we could do it like they do here. http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?id=341029107 I feel like this would be the most efficient way to do it. As a matter of fact, I think the box scores themselves could use a little revising. I envision batters' stat lines having at bats, runs, hits, RBIs, walks, Ks, and the possible addition of AVG. Then doubles, triples, homers, LOB, etc. could be recorded below as necessary like in the linked score. Also, the same could be said for fielding, I don't think we need to put everyone's names, just notables like DPs, errors, etc. Pitching looks pretty good except for maybe putting HBP and IBB below like in the World Series box score aforementioned and adding ERA at the end.

Sorry for making this so long. I know it was about LOB, but I kinda wanted to voice my opinion on the box score.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The problem is...some people want more stats and other want less. You can't satisfy everyone so I try to use my best judgement. Most people on Broken Bat lean toward the stats junkie direction, so I've try to provide towards the high end of normal.

Steve
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Even for people who don't particularly need more stats (like myself), what would it hurt to add them for the people that do need them or want them?
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Yea I understand what you are saying, but my viewpoint is that if the stat is a zero, it seems kinda useless to load up the stat sheet with a bunch of unnecessary zeroes. However, if the stat junkies want them, I don't have a problem with that.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
LOB isn't fully implemented yet, the value isn't always zero.

Steve
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh I know that. That wasn't what I was referring to. What I was talking about was if, for example, no one on your team hits a triple, should you have to have a triple column if they are all zeroes? And if not triples, any other stat where this occurs? (I was mainly referring to other stats, not LOB. I knew you hadn't fully implemented that one yet.)
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Left on base (LOB) is now active on the updated box score. There is a difference between Individual versus Team LOB. Both will be included in the new box score format. But it’s a bit confusing because Individual LOB does not total to equal Team LOB (left on base only on the 3rd out).

Steve
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
it would be nice if all the xtra base hits would be underneath the box score example HR,1 deshawn jakson (12) which would mean he hit 1 in the game and it was his 12th home run
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
it would be nice if all the xtra base hits would be underneath the box score example HR,1 deshawn jakson (12) which would mean he hit 1 in the game and it was his 12th home run

You mean as opposed to in columns in the hitters table?

Steve

Updated Thursday, November 6 2014 @ 1:41:23 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page