Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2058 Spring   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
"Reads over that commitment to competitive play" again...
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Halfway through Spring...

Nadeau hit 3 homers in a game against Huntington Beach, so no evidence to the contrary, I am calling that an Inferno grapefruit league record.

I might end up with a major slugging SS on my hands...despite his lack of a hit tool, his minor league average is .284, with respectable splits (hes a S) of .305/.275. He has a strong .85 GB rate and 1HR/33 AB. This with 673 G of experience and a hit tool of 10 and Power 9. So he's not just doing more, he's consistently doing more. I have never actually played a MI who was a hole in the lineup, and he's playing like he wont be the first. His Spring line: .348/5/28, OBP .397 OPS 1.155. He does lead the team with 15 K's, whiffing about once every 4 AB.

The bats have been beefing up lately. Halfway through the season and we are at 43.5 PA per game. Every hitter besides Gomez and Carr has at least a .274 BA. Gomez is additionally struggling at 2B with 4 errors even though his skill is over 2. Not a surprise Mori is leading the pack at .426, since he's a major league hitter who I am trying to squeeze out what SI I can. Monroy, Mori, Gentile and Nelson all have 5-6 K's and (aside from Mori at 13) have played in all 15 games. Gentile, Buck and Mori all have double digit walks.

CaƱizles scoreless inning streak ended, but has now tossed 14 1/3 IP, allowing just 8 hits, no homers and striking out 15, with a 1.26 ERA. Sure, its a lot easier to shine as the first reliever off the bench with 69 SI, as opposed to starting, but I think his future is bright.

As you would expect for someone with a 86 SI, Omi has done better than most of the pitchers, with strong K numbers, hits per inning, and walks. I still dont have a clue what the dimensions of the park are, but the homers allowed have been a concern. Suarez has, interestingly, given up the least homers of the regular starters, with 2. But I am thinking that his very advanced fastball has more to do with it than anything. Overall, I think he is still a bit worse than the others, performance-wise: just 7 strikeouts (even considering he's a lefty) and 15 walks (with a control of 9). Kono, control of 7, has walked just 4 batters (and his control is not projected to be very good). I expect the under-developed staff I trot out there every season to be about 1BB/2IP. The exception is Olivares. He is filling in for Kono, his calling card is supposed to be velocity/control, so I expect him to do better than most, even tossing max pitches. In fact, he struck out 10 in a CG, allowed 2 walks and 1 homer, which is acceptable at this point. Though him making it very long in League with the team is pretty tenuous. His work last season was exceptionally ugly.

The rinky dink injuries are back. Kono will be out until, I think, game 24. Sugar Cane and Mori will miss the next 2 games. Since they both have 3 skill at C, it was a bit more important to let Gentile have less chance of injury at DH and let Mori catch...but it does let Stephens get a bit of use.
rivalmejr

Hillsboro Pikas
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I dont get how GBL are allowed to still be around.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
re: Parker Pirates

i did find one use for the Pirates record when studying attendance & budgeting operations: what is the minimum attendance (zero basis) of revenue one can rely upon. And perhaps one can also study the player's statistics and skill index to find performance baselines.

But while that useful for research, I would prefer the franchise was managed to be more competitive on the field. Still, i respect that owner's choice to run the franchise as he wants.
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
At the very least we should have forced retirement then maybe these antics would end because he would be liable to win some games.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 for forced retirement. Should probably not be too restrictive though... The oldest baseball player ever played to 50. Currently Rich Hill is 42. Maybe something in the middle, like 45. Seems like most players in this game would be pretty poor by 40. Another 5 seasons seems like a fair buffer.

We should probably also have forced retirement for managers. The manual says they get worse when they get older, but I've never seen any evidence of this...
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
First "Blackjack" of Spring had quite a bit more attrition and fatigue than I was hoping for.

Gentile, Nadeau, Nelson, Carr, Monroy started all 21 games. Gomez has played 20, but is injured and out the rest of the spring. Not that he was doing anything anyway. .210 in 100 AB is atrocious for his level of skills. He also had 4 errors. Carr has not been a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich either: .221 with 22 K's. Also not what you look for in Spring with someone who's SI is in the 90's.

Mori has played 15 games of a possible 21, and .400 with 11 walks and 19 RBI is no surprise. He's a major league hitter who's 28 and the clock is ticking on his SI. Monroy has played really well. .356 with 1K/9 AB. Like guys before him, he will stay until Update #4 and then spend rest of year in AAA.

Sexton has played well. .316 with 4 steals and 6 walks (hitting #9). Ive went back and forth on playing him at all or even cutting him. He dropped in POT to 13, probably wont gain enough fielding to be decent at 3B (not needed anyway) and his 12 range isnt really acceptable for the OF. While he hasnt shown it so far in the minors, but his growth says his hitting attributes will end up very good, and he is a left-handed hitter. Gentile has been better than expected. .311 with a whopping 16 walks. He also is 2/2 on SB with 8 speed (!). His minors work showed he would hit who he was supposed to (LHP) and might be relatively punchless otherwise. He has hit .303 against same-sided pitching this Spring.

Buck has been fine, considering his 15 hitting should make him do a bit better than others, .310 with 10 walks. Splits similar to Gentile. Nadeau just joined AAA towards the end of the 2057 season. He has been in a slump the past half dozen games or so, but .289/5/29 is not shabby at all. He's drawn 8 walks with a strong FB rate. The Future of Inferno SS gets closer. Nelson has actually been very close to his minors work. His hit tool isnt high, but he continues to do well against who he should hit against and not against who it would be hoped he would. No one can take over CF without a strong ability to hit RHP.

11 starts by others because of the injuries: Stephens, Reis, Newell, Whipple. Shanks is filling in at 2B for Gomez going forward.

Pitching-wise, fatique and a minor injury or two have given a different makeup to the staff. Normally 6 pitchers get the bulk of the work, with 2 to clean up those 7 inning massacres. It is just game 21, but 7 pitchers have 17 2/3 IP+. 2 more with 9 1/3 IP. At times the AI can "change its mind" about who is too "fatigued" to pitch. Going into it I thought I had too many pitchers to effectively use them all, but AA Finley is now SS in case the AI wants to pull out the rug again in tomorrows games

Omi started out well but has struggled lately. Not surprisingly he, Olivares and Bustamante have the least ugly lines among the SP. I had expected Suarez to be a bit better because he has 15 Velocity and 11 stamina, but he fared little better than Tagaloa or Medrano (who have 5,6). Kono was no big box of chocolates in his 3 starts. Maeda started out strongly (also 5 stamina), until Lewisville killed him in relief today.

One pretty line, Canizles. 17 2/3 IP of dominant middle relief. Hes fanned 19, has a 1.02 ERA, allowed no homers and made hitters look like they were playing with whiffle ball bats.

So, when it comes down to it, cant say for sure that any of the new underbaked arms I have brought in for relief roles are any good at all. Time will tell
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Strange times on the next to last day of Spring against Buena Park (if there is not significance to Shanks taking Gomez spot and batting 3-23 (and 2 of the 3 hits being homers):

5 was the most runs scored in any of the games, and 2 were 1 run contests. In the first Medrano pitched an 8 inning complete game (124 pitches), just 4 ER, including a pair of homers, giving him 10 in 35 innings this Spring, matching the *beep*tiness of several pitchers' Springs these last few seasons. He has just 6 games started in the Minors, so if not used as a SP (limited innings anyway) he seems not to have a major problem.

Swoosh also pitched an 8 inning CG (123 pitches), 3 ER, including 2 HR. Aside from maybe the spring park being small, possibly Buena Park has no PD and lots of sluggers. Still he may have momentarily staved off being the first cut if I get any waiver claims.

Omi also pitched a complete game (147 pitches) with two homers, but he also pitched 12 innings with no walks. This game we won, despite 5 games on a crappy 7 hits.

Now Gentile, Stephens, Mori (all C I planned to use this Spring) are hurt. Fortunately, that is a heavily trained position, so Nelson C the final day and hopefully not get hurt.

9-18, so a pretty average Spring. We usually end up 10-20 or so.
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
Gee whiz, my ace plays like... A few games in spring training, and in his last start he gets an Elbow Bone Spur and is out for the first 4 weeks of the season.

Why don't you just tell me how you really feel, game engine? :D

That sucks. That's SP1 out for 31 days.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Sucks any way you look at it...but...why exactly is he playing in Spring? He has no more SI to gain. Started 2057 at 122 and ended it at 122.

Previous Page | Show All |