Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Cleveland Guardians -- what do you guys think of the new name/logo?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I’ve never been a fan of the name Indians, personally, but at least it’s better than the Redskins. Naming a team after a race (or a slur thereof) isn’t exactly the way I would go about respecting said race’s culture. I don’t know that I particularly like Guardians, but I’m not exactly in favor of the move away from the Native American theme.

No, that is not contradictory.

I’m nearly a quarter Native American, myself (predominantly Apache, Cherokee, and Kiowa if anyone is curious). I live Atlanta-ish. Yes, I am a fan of the Braves. No, I am not offended by the name. Not in the least. It’s essentially taking the word “warriors” and putting a Native American spin on it. Similarly, the Kansas City Chiefs, which mirrors their baseball team, the Royals, is basically a Native American take on the same concept.

tl;dr: Not disappointed by the name change, am disappointed by the move away from the Native American theme.
JV-Tosshin

Biloxi Thresher Sharks
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
I completely agree that there was surely a way to keep a nod to Native Americans, but I suspect they didn't want to risk anything, which is a bit of a shame.

And as for Chiefs, that could be anything. I went many, many years without knowing that was meant to be a nod to specifically Native American chiefs.

Mainly because I'm European, sure, but also because a Chief could be anything. Hell, vikings had chiefs/chieftains/warchiefs, so...
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I did not know about this. I thought that Marvel Comics had bought Cleveland. Guardians of the Galaxy and all that. Logo is fine. Do not like the name of the mascot. Does not sound basebally enough.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's why I was saying the logo should be green ;)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Speaking of Green. I guess its just a matter of time before Notre Dame and Boston get rid of their racist logos. But I hope they keep the Irish connection.
rlawrence

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
meh
Chicken Fillet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think many people have voiced concerns about Notre-Dame so far about their logo. I could be wrong, though.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well its an offensive stereotypical caricature of another culture. Pretty much the same thing. Speaking as someone who is part Native American and part Celtic, I find the logo similarly insulting as the Indians logo. I was ok with both logos, but they are really both insulting. Especially in the Boston area where Irish are stereotyped as thugs.

In case folks aren't aware, the Indians were named in honor of Louis Sockalexis, who was the first Native American Major League player. He played for the Spiders back in 1897. Basically the Native American version of Jackie Robinson 50 years before Jackie Robinson. That is why it is a bit of a kick in the pants that they moved away from Native American themes entirely.

Updated Tuesday, July 27 2021 @ 2:52:08 pm PDT
Chicken Fillet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
They definitely could have stuck with the Native American theme without being insulting. And yeah, maybe Notre-Dame will go through it someday sooner than later. It's true that their logo is... questionable?
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Guardians is an improvement over Indians, but it's pretty meh to me. I wish they had eliminated the drab color scheme and done something a little less safe. The name sounds like a minor league football team. I mean as long as the phillies exist it won't be the dumbest name, but definitely a missed opportunity to do something really cool.

Previous Page | Show All |