Help

Forum >> Help >> How Good   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
slugfest2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How Good could Craig Schmidt have been if he wasn't promoted early?

How good can he still get by age 30?

He is definitely my new long term Closer.
cqk328

Unalaska Alaskans
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
Well as a pot 14, his Max SI probably would have been somewhere around 110-120. His growth will be stunted a little, but since he is 25 and would be recommended for the majors now anyway he still has plenty to gain. I'd say by 30 he'll max at 105-115. Still will be a great closer for the team. Now if only I could find one myself...and some starters, if we're talking about pitching...and some relievers...

Updated Tuesday, April 7 2015 @ 8:48:47 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with most of what cqk328 said, except the part about him still having plenty to gain.

Experience gains seem to be greatest when a player is inexperienced, and drop off as the player becomes more seasoned.

I think there is variation player to player, but for pitchers once they've pitched 400-500 innings, I consider them experienced, and don't expect to see much improvement.

So though this guy has room on his velocity scouting, movement scouting, and potential bar, his 3 seasons experience and 460 IP suggest to me that he doesn't have much room to grow. He only added 1SI last season despite pitching 180 innings.

It wouldn't surprise me if he added a few more points. But nothing spectacular.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think since he's 25 you should train him in the minors this season to pick up some of that training he missed. I'm not saying don't use him in the majors, I'm saying he should be in the minors every Friday morning for the update. If you that you will get him to improve as much as possible over the long term. Yes you will forego experience improvements this season but those experience gains he has left will still be there later. The minor league training wont. Although some people, at least me, have seen training gains in the minors with 26 year olds in the minors, just not sure how much is there at 26. I'm working on finding out this season.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I think since he's 25 you should train him in the minors this season to pick up some of that training he missed.

He's not recommended for the minors. His training would be very, very slow.

Yes you will forego experience improvements this season but those experience gains he has left will still be there later.

While we don't know for certain, I would discourage this. I don't believe the experience gains will still be there.

Again, the experience gains are related to innings pitched. If you pitch 200 innings but aren't around on the major league roster at the training update, I think there is a very good chance the game sees you as an "experienced" pitcher even tho you gained no experienced related SI.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Seca, I believe you will just be delaying the experience gain until later innings pitched. I may be completely wrong. But the only way I can see to cap this guy as high as possible is to get him training now, even if slower, and experience later assuming it isn't lost. My assumption would be it is not lost but I know of no definitive answer on that.
I have tried all spring to get one of these guys to experiment with but to no avail. I do have a 26 year old I am trying this on. He gained one point the first update. I think he's definitely capped as far as experience goes. It's costing me money but I want to find out.

Edit: basically I want to figure out if I can take a great prospect someone else has ruined and see if he can be rehabilitated.

Updated Tuesday, April 7 2015 @ 10:20:25 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I do have a 26 year old I am trying this on. He gained one point the first update. I think he's definitely capped as far as experience goes. It's costing me money but I want to find out.

Will be an interesting experiment. The difference between your guy and this guy is that this guy might have a few points left due to experience.

Seca, I believe you will just be delaying the experience gain until later innings pitched. I may be completely wrong.

I know you aren't the only manager who thinks this. And I freely admit it is me who could be wrong.

My concern is that a manager could do a fair bit of damage following your advice if you happen to be wrong. (Not on this player - won't make much difference either way on this guy).
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep, there is definitely the risk of my idea backfiring. That's why I was trying to get one of these guys who is 25 and see what a whole season does. I would rather run the risk myself, I can afford it and my lineup is hopefully deep enough to allow me to do it. I picked up Turner toward the end of last season so it's not quite the experiment I want to try since he's 26. But he's merely good for backup at this point, he needs his SS and hopefully he gains some SI. I would be willing to try this with him and a 24/25 year old but it doesn't look like this is the season to get the chance to do the second one.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I had 3 25+ guys in the minors for 70%+ of last season:

Blevins - age 26, gained 1 SI (just what I need for an aging LHS prospect)

Otero - age 25, gained 3 SI (not capped out on exp, just won't have much playing time for him outside of injuries til next season)

Ahn - age 27, gained 5 SI ... lost his "not much room for improvement" tag

edit: forgot a 26 I had in the minors last season and released
http://brokenbat.org/player/78584 gained 3 SI

Updated Thursday, April 9 2015 @ 2:26:01 am PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for sharing Brewnoe. Sounds like it was mixed results indicating that it can help but may not help.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Really interesting result on Ahn. That's surprising to me.

I've tried putting 26 year olds in the minors and only got 1 - 2 point gains. I think I've had more mixed results with 25 year olds, but I highly suspect Seca has the right of this one. Still... Ahns happen.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The most interesting thing about Ahn is that it suggests a specific relationship between experience and training (which some have suggested but hasn't been proven as yet). Specifically it suggests that training enables gains in experience.

e.g.

I train a guy to 40% of his max training and he is able to gain points equal to 70% of his max experience. If that same player is trained to 60% of his max training he can now gain points equal to 80% of his max experience. (or some such similar equation)

Also possible he was just "inaccurately" scouted before, but it does seem to argue for the above relationship (which someone who is not me suggested in another thread).

Updated Thursday, April 9 2015 @ 5:59:33 pm PDT
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Felix seems to fit perfectly into this discussion. Judging from last season, he has maxed out on experience (nearly at 400 IP). Last season he was a solid closer. Since he's recommended for AA, I'm under the impression that he can still get a bump in SI from training.

Tomorrow will be the first update he is in the minors, I forgot to bring him down last week...
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Looks like Felix didn't go up this week.

BTW, glad Perkins has been useful for you.

Updated Friday, April 10 2015 @ 3:35:14 am PDT
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Brewnoe, how long did you leave Ahn in AAA so he could get rid of his " He doesn't have much room for improvement" tag? I'm currently trying this out with 27 yo Ralph King, which is a 14 pot player.
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock - Yeah no luck with Felix this update, will hope for the best newt week.

Perkens was a great pickup, got about 4 solid waivers (now starters) in 2020. Too bad those days are long gone now.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think he would have performed as well for me in my league, but its good to see he could be useful to your team.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball

how long did you leave Ahn in AAA so he could get rid of his " He doesn't have much room for improvement" tag?

Not sure exactly, either 7 or 8 of the 10 training updates last season.

He popped another point this morning, but he made need a few more to get his job back before the guy that replaced him declines or asks for a too big a raise next season.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
NM, I got off my lazy butt and just clicked the link.

Still no "not much room for improvement" tag on him. Doesn't that also go away when they reach a certain age?

Updated Friday, April 10 2015 @ 9:35:33 am PDT
slugfest2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Update on skills, Craig Schmidt has jumped 3 SI already.

Previous Page | Show Page |