Help

Forum >> Help >> Bat Control vs. Plate Discipline   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jezzat

Rockford Rhinos
V.9

Broken Bat Baseball
I must admit I'd always assumed Hitting meant simply making contact and BC meant hitting it where you want it to go - so a hitter with higher BC would hit into gaps more often and therefore get more ground ball singles for example.

However, reading the bit Rock quoted -

"Hitting: ability to hit the ball and put it in play.

Bat Control: ability to make contact with the baseball, especially important for avoiding strike outs and successful bunting."

makes me wonder what the difference is between hitting the ball and making contact with the ball.

Does it imply that a hitter with higher BC would foul off more often as he just manages to make contact and would therefore strike out less?
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
well, i've tried to do correlation analysis of the five offensive skills with OPS using my data from 2043---I am no stats guru, just a guy with a college degree in business...it seemed to me the sum of all five skills had the strongest correlation to batting performance, around 60%...removing one or two skills from the sum resulted in lower correlation, down to 40-50%

so like you, I am unclear about bat control...but I've always understood it to means ability to foul off good pitches (useful on 2 strike counts) or to hit the ball to either side of the diamond (useful on hit and run plays to hit to holes opened up by baserunners going on the pitch)

Updated Monday, March 30 2020 @ 2:44:26 pm PDT

Updated Tuesday, March 31 2020 @ 5:21:11 am PDT
tamale

Concord Jets
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I strongly prioritise PD, but my reason is exactly the same as Rock - I don't really know what BC does, so I mostly just ignore it as long as the player still performs. Had a fair bit of success with this type of hitter.

My thinking is that high BC will reduce strikeouts and result in more BIP. Assuming an average BABIP of around .300 (not verified!) I'd suggest an extra walk is worth more than an extra BIP.
hardhat

Oceanview Woods Grizzlies
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's what I think:

Bat control = making contact.

Hitting = getting hits.

Under this theory, BC essentially allows the player to "activate" his hitting skills more often because higher BC = more contact, and more contact = more chances to get a hit because the ball is in play, thereby increasing the statistical probability of getting a hit.

Another way of looking at it is that the hitting skill is Everything that happens starting when the ball touches the bat. The quality of contact, etc. The BC skill increases the probability of the ball touching the bat.

Edit: I have no evidence for any of this :)

Updated Monday, March 30 2020 @ 5:15:43 pm PDT

Updated Monday, March 30 2020 @ 5:16:45 pm PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@hardhat I have no idea if that is the case, but I love this explanation
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@hardhat - I suspect you might be right, but its so illogical that I still can't accept it ;)

If that is what it means, its kind of the opposite of the real world.

Rod Carew had great bat control. And when people say that, they mean because he could place the ball where he wanted to. Essentially, he could get hits because he made Contact (Hitting) and used his great Bat Control to place the ball in gaps. This is basically the exact opposite of what you hypothesis the ratings mean in the game.

Again, you are likely correct, but I'll never be able to accept such a backwards definition ;)

There is also the part about bunting. Successful bunting has nothing to do with Contact. Anyone can make Contact with the ball in a bunt. Its Controlling where the ball goes. That is what makes a successful bunter. So that part of the definition seems to imply that Bat Control is what happens after Contact, not before. This is my problem with the definition in the manual. Its seems to be saying both things at the same time. Very confusing.

Steve also said it was important for Hit and Run at some point. Again, Hit and Run is all about Controlling where the ball goes, not Contact. If you make good Contact with bad Control in a Hit and Run you are more likely to hit into a double play. Control is more important and Contact, so again this would imply that Bat Control is about after the Contact...

Updated Monday, March 30 2020 @ 7:36:30 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This is a good video about what Bat Control means in real life, but not sure that it means the same in the game.
Ken_Kennilworth

Charleston Hawks
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
thanks for the vid Rock.

from watching it, it seems a hitter with bat control will hit to all fields, and is able to pull an inside pitch, go the other way with an outside one, and put one in the middle to any field--in sum, the batter is a spray hitter that the defense should not shift against
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's what it means to me, but not sure that's what it means in the game.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Completely anecdotal, but I've found low BC guys to be very inconsistent. The ones I tried using frequently had 50+ swings in their AVG from year to year. That behavior would be consistent with the thought that Hitting mean contact and Bat Control means Control. If you make lots of contact, but can't control where the ball goes, you have to rely on luck for the ball to go into holes. If you are relying on luck, you are more likely to have hot and cold streaks. As I said, completely anecdotal, so take it for what it is, but that is a big part of the reason why I prioritize BC.

A strike out is less damaging than a double play, and a hit is more beneficial than a walk.

Previous Page | Show All |