Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> POT inaccuracies   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm liking the new and deproved POT accuracy. Its making me take a harder look at some POT 12 guys. More opportunity to pick up potential sleeping dragons for teams with extra space in their minors.
Jwrose

Parma Dodgers
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
My question is is this going to effect players pre change as well?
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
it affetcs players drafted in 2040 onwards
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
FWIW I kept an 11 POT from the first round this year.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Changes afoot.

Both my 16 pots, one each drafted in 2040 and 2041, have corrected to 15 pots - and the 2040 one was drafted as a 14 pot, so this fluidity in POT seems to be an ongoing thing.

I've also had draftees in the 11-13 POT range (some with the team, some free agents and some on other teams) show fluctuations up and down (one spot).

What's everyone else got?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Kinda funny we were talking about not seeing changes in another thread, and then there are a bunch of changes.

My 8th rounder from '40 started 13, went to 14, and is now back to 13. It's easy to see him as a 14 or top end 13.

I had a late rounder from '41 (Calderon blip from 14 to 15. It was hard enough believing he was 14, so we aren't holding our breath.

Back to OP, I've long been a big fan of 12 pots, but I don't see uncertain bars working in their favour. Downward risk is great.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I had my future SS drop to 14, which is kind of a bummer. The only other change I saw was the 6th rounder in '41 that I cut. He was a 13 when I drafted him now he's showing 14.
nemesis

Brooklyn Dodgers
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I've had a 14pot and a 12pot pitcher both drop one spot. The former just has "good potential" as his report, which is decent at 14pot but cut-worthy at 13pot. The latter has a nice "strikeout pitcher, major league curveball" report but 11pot pitchers are instant cuts for me.

The trouble is if they both correct back to their original pot levels. I could cut both now for roster spots, but then risk cutting two potentially good pitching prospects.

I think this is going to be the real legacy of the new draft.
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
To add to the discussion, I've got three different minors players that lost a point of Potential:

Luis Santiago

Evan Hensley

Carlos Paredes

I didn't draft two of these guys. I snatched them off waivers. This "draft change" actually made substantial changes to the waiver market.

What to believe? The old Potential or the new Potential? What else is there for me to believe? Could it shift again? Have any gone up? Again, losing a point in Potential is a pretty large swing in a prospect's eventual SI. It seems like an awfully clunky way to choose to fuzz up team scouting.

I still dislike the new draft procedure and would still vote to change the whole thing back. I'd make a Suggestion thread, but I assume there's no chance it'll be cranked back now.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Those guys are all good prospects at their current pot. Potential just gets your toe in the door, performance determines your fate.

Much like search-by-potential, there is no going back. Once users get accustomed to having more info, it's just a no go returning to a more restrictive system.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I had drafted a POT 14 3B and POT 15 3B least season. Now I have two POT 15 3B... Really wish they had different positions.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock - I'd have trained Burrell at SS with minimum 15s in each of the defensive traits, and Baird could play C in addition to 3B and OF. Those guys could basically play anywhere, nice problem to have.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
15 range isn't good enough for SS. Baird can certainly play OF, but Amazing in the field will be wasted. Pointless in training him a C when I have Jay Hawes (also POT 15). Its likely the Baird and will mostly play OF unless Burrell is playing 1B.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
We rarely have 122 SI guys with 16-17-16 for short. Three 15s might not be perfect for short, but it's more than adequate.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not for me. RNG is critical for SS, I never go as low as 15. I have a backup C/SS right now with 16 Range, but my starter has 17 RNG and my 24 year old rookie has 19 RNG. I have a POT 14 SS in the minors with 18 RNG. I would never drop as low as 15 Range for SS. Arm, Fielding, and Range don't have equal value for each position. Its not a good idea to treat them as equals.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Of course they're not equal, but they're all important at short. I'm playing a 12-16-14 guy there now. With hitting being equal, I'd rather have 15-15-15. You can only play what you can get. An even better illustration of that is that I played a guy there last season for 33 games with 12-14-13. We're limited by dumb luck in who we get to play. As I said over in the Legends thread, that's why I think Novi's Lee from last year's draft may be the best draft pick ever. Shortstops are easily the most difficult position to find and he got an immediate All Star. Meanwhile, many of us are struggling to find merely a serviceable short.

Updated Monday, August 12 2019 @ 10:41:56 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't disagree they are hard to find. But SS is the one position I prioritize defense over offense. I would consider 12-14-13 to be a very poor shortstop (ignoring any actuals over scouting inaccuracies).

I'm not going to shoe horn a player into SS just because he is a POT 15. And to me 15-15-15 is unacceptable at SS.
BUDude

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Part of the fun of baseball is having to make decisions like that. Obviously, I want my SS to be the best defensive player on the team, but I'm nowhere near as picky as Rock is. But maybe that's why I've never achieved that level of success either.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hurstdm, as I already wrote in our league thread, I had one player drop from 15 to 14 and five players drop from 13 to 12. That turns at least two of them into non-prospects...
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball

I don't disagree they are hard to find. But SS is the one position I prioritize defense over offense. I would consider 12-14-13 to be a very poor shortstop (ignoring any actuals over scouting inaccuracies).

I'm not going to shoe horn a player into SS just because he is a POT 15. And to me 15-15-15 is unacceptable at SS.

There was (an early) season or 2 that i would have taken 15-15-15 in a sec ... see Chad

Glad you missed (or weren't looking for) "Old Weird" Harold Nielson (amazing-16-16) ... also glad i might not need to play his 12 pot butt for long if a certain (outstanding-17-13) guy can learn.

... Have a strategy, but be flexible

Speaking of pure SS
... can you imagine inheriting a team with someone like Carlos Corona ?? ... hope someone teaches him well
Jwrose

Parma Dodgers
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
My main SS has an 11 range, which is 1pt above average guys, and had a fld% of .978 at SS in 105 games. Combined with his hitting I'll take that everyday.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Range has nothing to do with fielding. Range impacts how many balls your entire team gets to. Less team range means more balls find gaps. And the SS Range is weighted heavier than other positions. Higher Range at SS means less balls dropping into play in the OF.
Jwrose

Parma Dodgers
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
I know that but I'll take the minus for the pluses.
ImASurvivor

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/231811

This guy looks for a candidate to have a pot bump, only 18 and already 80+SI but 12 POT and his scouting report claims to predict his stats will improve above the 103 threshold for 12 pots.

Previous Page | Show Page |