Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Player Background Image Additions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Looking for some feedback on adding background images to the player images. Each (most at least) will be made up of a Foreground image (grass, dirt, bricks, gravel etc.) and a Background image (stadium backdrop etc.).

Please be nitpicky...thanks!

Test Image 1: Background_Stadium_with_Light_Post
39qS0IEcQDMw.png

Test Image 2: Background_Stadium_with_Mound
39qSTKU4X4Ow.png

Test Image 3: Background_Stadium_at_Sunset
39qSpBVhgk6c.png

Test Image 4: Background_Stadium_at_Sunset_with_Lights
39qSzUJBfBK6.png

Test Image 5: Background_Stadium_with_Lights
39qTAPp0EzNS.png

Steve

Updated Sunday, January 22 2017 @ 10:37:44 pm PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
A few more:

Test Image 6: Background_Stadium_at_Night
39qVydJitUXq.png

Test Image 7: Background_Sky
39qW5BpDElXP.png

Test Image 8: Background_Stadium_Evening
39qWBkKhaQ2V.png

Test Image 9: Background_Fence_and_Trees
39qWIIqBvvcJ.png

Test Image 10: Background_Fence_and_Trees_2
39qWOrLgHOCI.png

Steve

Updated Sunday, January 22 2017 @ 10:42:31 pm PST

Updated Sunday, January 22 2017 @ 11:35:54 pm PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Test Image 11: Background_Stadium_with_Bridge
39qXS74PRl9n.png

Test Image 12: Background_Stadium_Wall
39qXXjVOtBDP.png

Test Image 0: White Background (current background)
39qZao11tvUq.png

Steve

Updated Sunday, January 22 2017 @ 10:51:22 pm PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
My biggest concerns:

1. Background – Foreground Color Matching: Clearly Test Image 12 needs some work in that the foreground dirt doesn’t match well with the background dirt.

2. Scaling – Does the player look too big compared to the background…does Test Image 5 & 11 look like the player is towering over the stadium? Or does it look like the stadium is back in the distance and the proportions are fine?

3. High Resolution background image not fitting with clipart player image and foreground shading - Casey/the player image is basically a low resolution/clipart image. Foreground shading is mostly a bit a textured color. If the background image is too sharp, I think it will look awkward/out-of-place. Do Test Image 9 & 10 suffer from this problem?

4. White Background - You just prefer the old white background??

Steve

Updated Sunday, January 22 2017 @ 11:22:59 pm PST
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea of some of these backgrounds... but obviously not all work. I think the clip-art/BG shading doesn't stand out too much in most of them due to the small size though so you're ok thre.

Aside from your voiced concerns, I say this...

Test Image 1: seems simple but effective enough

Test Image 2 says "with mound" but the player image covers that up anyway so it doesn't actually look like a special background.

3/4: sunset looks better with the lights IMO... but also with the grass. That brick foreground doesn't really look good at all.

5: The cloudy sky just doesn't work...

6: okayish... but something feels off...

7: Sky just looks weird

8: This would probably look better with the stadium lights from earlier images

9: Looks too much like a little league park

10: Similar to 9 but doesn't stand out as much as being little league

11: not liking it

12: Doesn't mesh well at all
Den Duston

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea.
I think that being the player a clipart image,it would fit much better in a clipart of a ballpark. So there's a "harmony".

From all the pics you posted I can say that the n.1 is ok due to its bright colors.
The n.3 is also another background I like since it seems to match well with the player.
Philliesworld

Blacksburg Bulldogs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I really like the color it adds, but in everyone of the images, Casey looks out of proportion.

Probably my pick would be no.10

Updated Monday, January 23 2017 @ 5:09:41 am PST
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I like them all. Maybe one could tone them down a little bit, make the colors less intense to make the background less dominant.
I don't know what the plan is: One new background or different backgrounds for different players? Could that be done? I would find it super cool if minor leaguers had a background like image 9, and once they first get to the majors (with the salary switch to 0.5m), they get one of the stadium backgrounds. You don't know which one it'll be as long as they are in the minors.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Perhaps adding a "Field of Dreams" one with Casey appearing to come out of the cornfields? Especially might work with the size of the clipart versus the image. Also would fit the old Broken Bat theme before real locations were added, when every team played in Iowa. Agree, all feel slightly off, though I also like #1 good enough.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I like Holmes' suggestion of having two separate images, one of a minor league-esque park and then one of a larger stadium once they promote for the first time to the majors.

Could drop the opacity of the background image a bit to emphasize Casey. Might make the differences in art styles and perspectives less jarring.
DaveCool

Tustin Knuckleheads
V.13

Broken Bat Baseball
Being a Cubs fan, I like #12 which looks like Wrigley Field wall.
thebuzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Overall good additions improving the artistic aspect.

2. Scaling – Does the player look too big compared to the background…does Test Image 5 & 11 look like the player is towering over the stadium? Or does it look like the stadium is back in the distance and the proportions are fine?

By creating in the dirt a batters box (after all he is holding a bat). Adding a white home plate base and also batter box image white lines, you can give the illusion of the player image being either smaller or larger by the size of these two additions.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I like #1, #4 and #10, but have top say I agree with the comments above (for the most part).
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Great work admin as always. Game gets better and better.

Suggestions for other images:
  1. Batting practice cage
  2. Dugout
  3. Locker room
  4. On-deck circle
  5. Near the fans or sea of fans-type of backdrop
  6. Outfield wall backdrop
  7. Another nighttime image
  8. Dome stadium type of image
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Admin, good work on the backgrounds.
I would think multiple different backgrounds would give more visual flavor to the game.
If possible the “minors-short fence” background switching to "professional-stadium" background as players advance, as previously suggested, would be cool.

1. What is the blue stripe across the middle of the background? It maybe the outfield wall, but it does not look right.
2. Title says With mound… no mound, I see a mound in image 1 though.
3. Background is Too dark, Also night time should have lights on
4. I Like the background a lot, but the brick foreground needs to go. Grass would look better
5, 6, 7. High def background looks out of place. Although a clip art cloud or two in the background of image 1 and 4 would be a nice touch And would allow for some simple variation (some pics get clouds, others do not)
8. I do not care for this background, too dark.
9 and 10. OK
11. OK but I like the lower definition sky better.
12. As you said, it needs blended with the foreground better.

My team has a dome (actually it is an underground storm shelter :) )... Would there be a way for dome players to get a dome background instead of open air stadiums?
RDailey1948

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
1, 3 and 4.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I think the idea would be to have multiple backgrounds (possibly in combination with multiple foregrounds). With only one background, it would be just to redundant.

Image 1 & 2 were taken from a clipart type backdrop and I think are ideal. However, I haven't found a lot of similar images....most are photos/digital created images with a lot more resolution/sharpness.

I think what I need to do is probably make the backgrounds more opaque and perhaps remove some of he sharpness (blur them a bit). I will play around a bit more.

Thanks everyone for the feedback...

...if you have links to any ready made background, I'd be interested in those too.

Steve
cbstatic

North El Dorado Pay Dirt
VI.20

Broken Bat Baseball
I kinda like #s 2,4,7.

But I think they are missing a Base Bunny kissing me.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Have you checked out Morguefile? I use them for some of my game assets.

You can do a lot with post processing to give the images a similar aesthetic.

Here are a couple of examples from one of my games (scaled down to be page friendly):

IMG_7978.png alchemy_card.png

A_passage.png bribe_card.png

dales_006.png entice_card.png

Updated Monday, January 23 2017 @ 6:30:18 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think your existing set looks pretty good. #8 is a little confusing to me, but probably ok. #12 has the most obvious issue with the change in dirt texture, otherwise I think the foregrounds match well.

Scalings mostly look good. In #3 and #5 the stadiums look a little to far away. Maybe clip them a bit more. #8 is confusing to me. #11 may be a little too close, unclip that one a bit, or push it up if it has more space at the bottom.

I think #9 looks about right for blur. #10 could probably use a tiny more blur. #4 might need a tiny more blur. #8 confuses me. #11 probably needs more blur. #12 is already blurred a lot, but its also the only image where the background if very close to the player. Because of this, you might need to blur it just a little bit more to compensate.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Also, I like #5 in general, but it feels weird because I can't see a diamond on that one. Any way to pull over the diamond from #3? That would be the right perspective. Could play with post processing to get the colors to match the esthetic desired in #5.

#8 probably has the same problem... although honestly that one just confuses me...
CoryCates

Rocket City Trash Pandas
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
I think #1 and #4 are the best visually, although in #4 the player needs to be standing on grass. #1 the light pole addition gives it a better feel. The backgrounds where the player is standing in what looks like a little league field with trees in the background doesn't work because these players are portrayed to be professional.

The background with the Ivy might be a good idea if every year whoever wins the World Series in MLB, you change the background to look like the team's stadium that won.

All-in-all, anything beats a white background.
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think #1, 2, 9, and 10 look best and could work well with the most uniform colors. Not very crazy about the night time ones, they just look too dark and clash with the light background color of the site.
Yankee1219

West Allis Devil Dogs
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the proportionality issue could be helped with the background being more shoulder level than waist level (compare 9 where he looks huge vs 10 that seems more normal).

I like 1, 2. 4 and 10. The clouds don't seem to work with the others. 4 would be cool if you used the dirt/grass combo from 10 rather than brick, and lightened the stadium a little.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I’m partial to #1 and #9, myself, particularly in concert with Haselrig’s idea of having a background for both the Majors and the Minors.
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
7 and 9 look a bit weird to me, probably because of the angle. Horizon is too low on these two. I personally prefer how 10 looks, it has the right proportions imo.

I think 12 will look weird with certain uniform's color schemes, and there's something off with 6 as well, but I just can't figure out what exactly. :)

The rest are good. My clear favorites are 4 and 10 though.

Updated Tuesday, January 24 2017 @ 4:31:55 am PST
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Good for anything reasonable. Photo editing not quite my forte!
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So does anyone think the white background is better than these various stadium backgrounds?

Thanks for all the input everyone...

Steve
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I really like Test Image 5. I think it blends the background nicely into the image. It is sort of greyed out. This gives it nice distance look. The green color for grass works nicely.

39qTAPp0EzNS.png

I think several variations on this theme would look good.

The current old white background would be my second choice.

Updated Wednesday, January 25 2017 @ 1:09:32 am PST
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Can you tell us what the "costs" of doing this would be, Steve? How much coding would be involved? Would it increase database size substantially, etc? If the answer is yes to any of those, I'd much prefer something more substantive being worked on instead. Graphics are great, but don't really impact the game all that much.

Maybe you could give us a state of the game announcement with what you're working on for 2017 to give us a better idea of what players might prefer to see added?
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

So does anyone think the white background is better than these various stadium backgrounds?

Hard to believe anyone would...
John Foster

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I actually prefer the white background.
I don't think that it's that much better with the stadium BG and I prefer a cleaner design(foreigner here, so idon't know if it's the good word for what i mean).

For me the best would be no background at all.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think the white background is bad. The background might be nice, but they are a different style, which makes them a bit clashy. It hard to process an image enough to ever get it to the style of a cartoon.

Really only the first two images have complimentary styles with the Caseys.

Updated Wednesday, January 25 2017 @ 11:29:05 am PST
DodgerBlue42

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My favorite is #3 but I like all of them!

Maybe you could mix it up or designate different pictures for each level they reach like having players in the majors in front of a bigger stadium? either way looks great.
Deuce

New London Rippers
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
6,11 and 12 would be my favourites
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I have tried a few variations with varying opacity:

Test Image - No Opaque
3AWvl8mVEuIX.png

Test Image - 20% Opaque
3AWw07wTkPGw.png

Test Image - 40% Opaque
3AWwCvbI8fPi.png

Steve

MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I vote against no opaque. I like the other two considerably more.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with Mike. +1 to Opaque.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I prefer the first one - no opaque - it looks a bit smoother to me.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I don’t care for the last one, it makes it look like the stadium is in a fog. I really like the crispness of the first one, but also like the slightly subdued (by which I mean not-completely-Casey-overwhelming) colors of the second. I’d probably go for the middle one if I had to pick between those two.

Seeing them all lined up like that really makes a difference; I’d probably have voted for #1 if I hadn’t had #2 to compare it against.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
#2 is best. Mid-tones don't overwhelm the foreground character. #3 it too blurry, it starts to look messy at that level.

It might have been better to keep the uniform the same for comparison purposes...

Updated Sunday, January 29 2017 @ 7:38:05 am PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Agree...the last one looks more like fog in the background.

I guess the question is, does adding a little bit of opaqueness (maybe something like the middle one) blend well enough with the clip art image so it doesn't look out of place??

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The no opaque one generally looks like the clip-art is superimposed onto the background. I guess #3 does look like a fog a little, but honestly I would prefer the current plain white background to #1. It just looks silly to me, and not in the good way. #2 helps to make it seem less like a clip-art figure plopped on a background.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
My idea was not to have different backgrounds for major and minor league players or per team, but rather that each player would have a varying background to add a little more uniqueness to each player. If I can produce 20+ backgrounds that are acceptable, I thought maybe that would do the trick.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea. Let me know if you want any help with image processing/hunting.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
may-be there could be a background without sky. That would be nice for ballparks like mine that is a dome.

For example test image #5 with a dome look instead of sky would be very nice in my humble opinion. :-)
Dcmrulz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If this is still up for debate, I like #10, 20% opaque.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, still working on it as time permits. It's kind of an iterative process.

Steve
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
10e313s.jpg

34e9rop.jpg
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Is the bottom background a dugout?

I think they would need some foreground coloring so the player doesn't just look like he's floating in front of the background.

Thanks,

Steve

Updated Thursday, February 16 2017 @ 9:46:48 pm PST
TheBa8e

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I really like the new background. Thanks, Steve!
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What about this, we either drafte, sign, or waive claim a person

There is a press conference room behind them for like 2 weeks then it changes how bou that
Jren7

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Or we could have him holding up a jersey with name on back like press conference except that there will be no number to make it simpler

Previous Page | Show Page |