Help

Forum >> Help >> Does position training stunt growth?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
It's an opportunity cost issue. If you are training position A, you can't be training position B.

In general flexible is good. But you also want to place players at positions that they are a good fit at for.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Steve, that's good to know.

My question was really more about "do I lose points towards training batting skills if I am training in a new position?"
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
He answered that. There is no penalty to player skills.

I'm curious how you train a 17 year old in 4 positions. In my experience, it takes 2.5 seasons to learn a position in the majors and nearly twice that in the minors. Whether 17 or 19, players spend ~6 seasons in the minors max. That's one full position.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Did he answer that in another post? Steve didn't address that at all in his answer above.

Don't know, maybe some guys learn faster. This guy is only 18 and already knows two positions (he just finished learning 2B this week). By the time he is ready for the majors (~24) I figure he will have at least 4 positions. That means all the 17 year olds we are drafting now will end up being super utility players in 4-5 years.

Updated Friday, March 6 2015 @ 5:23:34 pm PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Some players start with more position experience overall. Some draftees will have a major and two minor positions at birth/generation.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
So battings skill progression is NOT affected by learning a new position.

Steve, if you are intentionally choosing not to share that particular piece of information that's cool. But can you just tell me "no comment". Because right now I'm feeling incredibly dumb for not being able to communicate my question properly. Thanks.

Updated Friday, March 6 2015 @ 5:32:01 pm PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
He stated it was opportunity cost - learning one position over another. So it isn't opportunity cost learning a position over player skills.

The position training came in seasons after the original training. It's separate.

The position letters have sub-levels. Your double upper-case 18 year-old was likely high sub-level in both positions.

I will give you a 100% Dino-might guarantee he won't have 4 upper case positions when he reaches the majors. :)

(If he does, I have some serious complaining to do :) ).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Seca, I hear you, but that is a logical fallacy. X implies Y does not mean Z is false. The question was not answered. Either because Steve is choosing to be cagey (which is perfectly fine), or because I suck at communication.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry...not trying to be cagey. Position experience is separate from skill training.

Steve
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
True. Fallacy. But I can't recall Steve straw-manning a question. Thought the spirit of his post was clear.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page