FAQ

Forum >> FAQ >> overall potential   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
how does the overall potential attribute affect all the other attributes.....example a scouting report says a player can develope in a very good hitter,prolific slugger,is really quick and has a 12 overall potential?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
12 potential is roughly 100 max SI or thereabouts. Very good hitter is second best behind great hitter (16 or 17, somewhere in there if properly developed). Prolific is the best power rating, so 16 - 20 depending on his development and really quick is 16 - 20 speed or so which can't be developed further. He'll likely be a very good player with a deficiency somewhere on defense or in Bat Control/Plate Discipline. Might end up a great DH.
Dignifried

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Followup question: is the potential number written in stone?

I understand that there is a 20% margin of error in the ranking, but is the underlying number fixed for the lifetime of the player?

In other words:
Do I give that 17 year old with an 11 pot a McDonalds application form and try again next week?

OR

Do I wait 10 seasons for his miraculous breakthrough?
Alyksandur

Boca Raton Gryphons
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
 I feel I should be in a uniquely qualified position to answer that question, given that my entire team is made of players who were 11 POT at the time of their acquisition. And I can’t. I might be able to offer a bit of perspective and advice, though.

I’m currently carrying a full Major League roster of thirty players. Of those, seven of them — just over twenty percent — have gone up to 12 POT, and two of those seven have never been everyday players. Those seven also have a total of four All Star Game appearances between them (though one was arguably snubbed this season).

My takeaway from this would be: If you’re looking for a superstar, look elsewhere. If you’re looking for a reliable everyday player, probably look elsewhere. I’ve been sculpting the ’Gulls very carefully; there are plenty of 11 POT players I wouldn’t touch, and even a fair number I’ve taken a chance on have proven to be busts. Unless yours has a really good scouting report and the defense — whether good or bad — to back it up, he’s more likely to be a benchwarmer. But if he does have a promising scouting report… well. Do you feel like rolling the dice?
JD

Simi Valley Pirates
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I had seven minor league players lose potential in the off season. Pretty sure I was probing them as suggested. I have never noticed any of my players losing potential then 7 at one time?
JD

Simi Valley Pirates
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I had seven minor league players lose potential in the off season. Pretty sure I was probing them as suggested. I have never noticed any of my players losing potential then 7 at one time?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This is a recent change (last few seasons), POT is now also fuzzy. The POT "sharpening" only seems to happen over the off season. So you should only see POT changes when you also see player aging changes.

Previous Page | Show All |