Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2065 Open Thread   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
SanKaloon

Lincoln Park Wolves
V.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Nobody has posted an Open Thread yet this season, and we need one.

My team is off to a better start this year at 16-8, and we find ourselves just 1.5 games behind the Mobile Killer Bees. We've only been shutout once, and that was in Cup. We just lost a starter to a 20 game injury and are going to go with a 4 man rotation for the first time in my tenure until he returns.

Last year was bad, and we made a lot of errors at 1st base. And yesterday, during the Cubs pregame broadcast, Rick Sutcliffe said he thought that 1B was the most important defensive position. So far I've thought SS/2B was the most important in Broken Bat. But now I'm thinking that good fielding might be super important at 1B. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on that.
mjhack

Binghamton Bobcats
V.8

Broken Bat Baseball

Sutcliffe was a picher and apparently doesnt watch the game. First base is where DHs play when required to take the field. I don't know how it plays out on Broken Bat, but I rarely worry about the defense on First base.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
First base receives the most put out attempts. This tricks many people into thinking its important defensively. However, what people aren't realizing is that 95% of those put out attempts are just catching a throw. Yes, sometimes there are bad throws. But in terms of real fielding attempts, even 3B gets more action than 1B.

So I do not consider the Broken Bat Fielding ability to be super critical at 1B. I would avoid guys with 5 or less Fielding. But you don't need the same kind of fielding ability as you do at SS or 2B.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its worth noting that your Catcher also gets a large number of "Feilding Attempts", and no Fielding isn't critical for the Catcher position in Broken Bat either.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Fielding isn't critical at catcher but I believe catcher still may be the most important defensive position in brokenbat.

Y'all can think I'm crazy but I believe catcher has a huge impact on pitching staff performance. As such, I think big C is better than little c is better than no c. I try not to play players out of position but catcher is the last place I would play someone out of position by choice.

Again, just the ravings of a potential mad man.
SanKaloon

Lincoln Park Wolves
V.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Appreciate the posts everyone. We had Hawke at 1B most of last year at 8 fielding and he committed 20 errors, probably not all of them at 1st. We've got Escobar back at 1st this season with 16 fielding and we're still not pitching great - so maybe it's not the first baseman. Maybe the ball has changed :D. Would still love to improve pitching - I see other teams giving up under 4 runs a game - not sure how to achieve that. Maybe better pitchers.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with Tiger. I don't care about Fielding at Catcher, but I always try to get guys with 3.0 C. Steve has certainly hinted at Catchers impacting the pitching performance. Really OF, 1B, and P are the only places I feel ok playing without maxed fielding experience, but in that case I do want the 1B to have a bit more fielding to help compensate. A low Fielding and low Position Experience 1B can be problematic, but I'm ok if one of the two is low.

BTW, if you mouse over a Fielding Percentage you can see the details. Hawke made 16 errors at First. .981 isn't very good. I'd want double that. But I think a key issue for Hawke was that he started the season at 1.8 1B Experience. So moderate Fielding + low Experience combined for more errors than you would like to see.

I also started playing Du at 1B with similar Experience, but he has better fielding so he could compensate. I've had 8 Fielding 1B in the past who did fine - but they were at max Position Experience.

Updated Friday, July 12 2024 @ 5:22:14 pm PDT
SanKaloon

Lincoln Park Wolves
V.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I did not know you could hover the fielding percent, and that is great info, thank you

Previous Page | Show All |