Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2057 Season Open Thread   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, season concluded. We finish 82-78. Though I have spent the last 20 games starting relief types and prioritizing pitches over everything else, this is as bad a stretch as I've ever went through. We went 1-19 and RD plummeted from +100 something to -8. First the good.

34 year old Hodson batted .326/10/87. He set a career high in RBI's while batting leadoff and the double digit HR's were second best. He led the league with 69 steals and that was his best by 10 (and Top 5 All-Time). He even beat out fellow Inferno, the speedy Shanks, and did so with a 79% success rate. Will he get his 3rd career All-League nod?

Goodson has now batted over .300 each of his 3 seasons in the show. Thus far, 2057 is his best, .327/17/91. The RBI's are a career high, and the homers are tied. He played a significant part of the season in all lineups and his splits were virtually identical.

Gomez played 47 games in 2056, so I am sure that takes him out of any consideration for ROY. He batted .321 and had 10 errors at SS in 108 starts.

Páez has batted over .300 each of his 3 seasons as an Inferno, exceeding .800 OPS in each of them. He concludes his 2nd stright year with no errors in CF, but has yet to win a gold glove.

Arriaga improved on his 2056 average, increasing it to .298, while also having a similar number of RBI's and games played. He has hit 13 or more homers in 8 of his 11 seasons, and has 70 or more RBI's in 6 of them. He had 1 error, as the Infernos led the league in FP at .990

McCann hit .296/19/77. With the HR/RBI being career highs. He stole 31 bases at a 74% success rate. He is unlikely to win a 3rd straight All-League, even if those numbers allow it, since he played most of his games in the OF.

Mori completed his prove-it year quite successfully. In addition to gaining 8 SI, he hit .288/9/65 in 129 games, batted .290 against same-sided pitching, and tossed out runners at a 36.2% clip.

Holley had a reasonable, but not amazing season. He hit .275, hit .281 against RHP, with a .356 OBP. He offers little power and is marginal as a base stealer. He had 9 errors in 90 starts at 3B, which is decent considering he is learning the position. He did gain 7 SI.

He and Mares seemed to have the same type of splits, making it difficult to platoon them as planned.

Mares had a lengthy slump and finished at .256/27/103. He struck out once every 4 AB. Obviously the power is welcome, and his splits, like last season, are pretty close, but he still has to get base hits lol. Hopefully he hits for a bit better average. Year 3 will tell, as he has already reached 1000 AB in just 2 seasons.

Shanks played in 155 games this season, the most of anyone. He hit a solid .270, stole 66 SB at a 81% rate, and had an outstanding year in the field, 10 errors at 2B. Hopefully at some point I can get him into more optimum lineups, as he hit just .248 against same sided pitching, but if he fields like this, its hard to put someone else there. I dont anticipate it will be possible until Nadeau makes the big leagues or something else happens.

Roque and Moreno were the only pitchers that appeared unfazed by IV. He improved his ERA to 2.90, 40 1/3 IP and 12 saves. Moreno, until a late year slump, was outstanding as SP and in LHP relief. Even so, he was 11-8 with a 3.46 ERA. Kennedy ended up starting 28 games, finishing 10-8 with a 3.71 ERA. He gained 27 SI this season, and got stronger as the year went on. He had outstanding control and homer numbers. Everyone else seemed to regress to some degree.

Lagos 3.81 was his poorest ERA since 2051, and as his innings this year were the most since then as well, he had plenty of time to turn it around. His homers were up a bit, his walks about where they usually were 1 per 2 innings.

Defending Cy Young Winner Alex Olivera had a full-season career worst ERA of 4.01. He has however won at least 15 games each of the last 6 seasons, without a losing record. Other than the walks being a bit up, its hard to say what the issue was this season, his other numbers are pretty in line with what he does. But some poor late season starts, along with Kennedy's 15 day injury played a large role in rebooting 2058 20 games early.

One of the best FA we have ever signed, Sebastian Johansen, has left the building. While I would expect him to be able to bounce back at 32 with another team, in the end his inconsistency was replaced with consistently bad this season. His H/IP regressed quite a bit, with a 5.48 ERA to match, indicating he may be losing something off his FB. This is unfortunate because aside from Roque, there is not much proven, consistent, right handed relief. But I prefer to give other guys a chance. Johansen was a bad first half/lockdown 2nd half pitcher each of the 3 seasons prior to this one. Without that, he might have kept his spot. While money will probably never be a factor in any decision, he makes 2.6M a year. He finishes his Infernos career at 38-23, 77 Saves, 3.70 ERA.

In Mid June, The Mayor sported a 6-1 record with a 2.93 ERA. He made just 5 starts thereafter, usually being the SS, but they were rough outings: less than 4 IP in four of the five, with 24 ER. In there was a CG shutout. Despite just 14 starts, he was in the Top 10 in the League with 6 CG. Since reaching V, his ERA has varied from 4.46-4.80. But he is a finesse pitcher, so he has always been above expectations.

Coronado has proven he can start (36G/13QS/4.83 ERA) but not proven whether he can ever be above average, or whether he can be better in another role such as RP. Most likely he will get a shot to replace Johansen next season. His H/IP and HR's are generally good. He just walks so many hitters.

Yamasaki teeters at the bottom of the roster, but so little is proven in the BP, and to some degree, the back end of the rotation, its better at this point to keep him than not. His H/IP need to come down if he is to ever be successful. His walks and homers were ok this season, even with a 5.30 ERA.

Because other things were going on, presumptive 2058 #5 SP Nunez spent almost his entire Age 26 season in AAA (24-7, 1.91 ERA, 302 1/3 IP). Main goal is that he can be somewhat better than the Mayor on a consistent basis. Many days the #5 doesnt get used.

Valadez hangs on, but mainly as this is a transitional period for my pitching, trying to build around 3 good SP. His turn as a SP was mixed. But he did reduce his ERA from 9 to 5.93 doing it. Main thing is can he improve his control. Not so likely with full SI now.

Crawford hangs on as well, but part of that is he is one of the few BP lefties (as trash as his performance has been this year, he was great last season) and it is slightly possible he might gain a little more SI. 6.31 ERA and 8 homers in 41 1/3 IP is just not acceptable at all. Next season he wont have Corral to pick up the pieces for him.

The "reboot" guys.

Omi seems to have the most value, or be the most ready, if that makes a difference. No, he hasnt been great: 48 IP, 6.38 ERA. But some of that was from max starts. He has a solid array of attribs, except for a 6 CoS. I have always felt CoS in most cases plays a role in how many GB you get, and therefore how many balls leave the park, but with a stat of just 6, he is 1.50 in the minors. While 1.06 in League isnt a high number, he has allowed 3 homers in 48 innings. In fact his work looks very similar to Spring. Innings, HR's, ERA, CG. He is similarly used. His Control is 13, but pitches better than that pretty consistently. He lost 13 POT at 19 and regained at 22, so we will see where he ends up.

Olivares, Bennent and Bustamante seem to have very little value. Bustamante is especially embarrassing with 101 SI and decent attribute numbers. They have similar stamina to Omi but have surrendered a ridiculous amount of homers, among other things. In around 150 innings, they have surrendered 40! Before the reboot, we were top of the leaderboard or near to it in homers allowed. Because of 236 hits, and 86 walks by the 3, they would keep extending innings and eventually give up a smash. Sure that is what typically happens but Bennent isnt going to have outstanding attributes, Bustamante isnt using his, and despite the fact that Olivares could be good with a top level FB and control, these types of tests are instructive. Like eventually letting Porter go, at some point I have to recognize performance.

Monroy will probably spend most of 2058 in AAA, but in 25 games, hes shown a good ability to hit in off lineups, and not much in primaries. He is just 20 with 92 SI, so I think he can be a decent RF type (which I am sure the other 28 claimants thought so as well). His PD is just 7 though.

Buck has rarely shown the promise he did in the first 4 resets of 2056. He batted just .212 in 39 game, and more importantly was .183 against Lefties, which is planned to be the only lineup he plays in. He continues to have good flyball hitting, but few leave the park. Now with 15 hitting and 15 PD, I have higher expectations. Aside from a blip in 2055 in the minors, his performance against LHP was .367. He hit about .270 overall because RHP is mostly what you face. On the flip-side, he will not be playing much until Hodson retires, so that could be 2 seasons from now or I may acquire someone else in that time.

Much work to be done in Irvine

Updated Sunday, December 18 2022 @ 6:17:16 pm PST
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Parker Pirates led their league in Team Outfield Assists. Let's go! From the great state of Colorado.

But they have an 808 game losing streak. 😅
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Some players finished with decent SI gain. This last update:

Buck gained on fielding for his 6th on the season. He was obtained thinking he would be a replacement when Hodson retires in off-lineups who wasnt an error machine. Unfortunately 99% of the job is hitting. Though he sported a fine .367 average against LHP in the minors, in League just .263.

Holley, perhaps in rebellion for being 26 with little playing time, gained 8. Hard to say whether he has much of anything left as his fielding ticked up t0 17, checking his last comment box. Either way, hes a very rosterable player, with a career .356 OBP. Hoping he improves on his .269 avg against RHP.

Gentile has been giving clues all year he is ready for the show, so he will be added to Roster. He gained but 3 SI this season. I just wish his performance was doing the talking. He has improved each season against LHP but .288 in the minors is not very exciting. He throws out runners at over a 50% clip, and if he can actually hit, and Mori can maintain success against same-sided pitching, they will make a nice platoon.

Matt Nelson will spend all of 2058 in AAA, but with a hit tool of 11 with 88 SI gained is a concern. He gained 6 SI this season. Of course maybe thats why he gained to 13 POT. Because his commented stat was to be slow, supplemented by others. But not by his PD, which is 6 lol

Benjamin Carr disappointingly lost 1 Arm to 11. I need a 12 arm for primary OF's.

Bustamante gained 3, and is in 13 range, and almost to an exceptional curve. None of which matters too much because his performance thus far is horrible.

With most of a full week of work, Olivares got 3 pops. Seems reasonable to expect him to get to 19 on his fastball eventually unless poor pitching makes me cut him. 15 Control in that instance may or may not be good enough to succeed.

Omi got a pop, but has not exactly been gaining at a rapid pace this season. Finley has gained a strong 8.

Updated Friday, December 23 2022 @ 4:44:57 am PST
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Now to my Training #0 predictions:

P Jarrod Sparks (Gain)
OF Benjamin Sexton (Drop)
SS Charles Nadeau (Maintain)
OF Benjamin Carr (Gain)
OF Ethan Whipple (Maintain)
OF Forrest Newell (Gain)

When adding a player I generally have these in mind. Most of the time any drop will be a draftee. Sparks really hasnt shown much, a few decent aspects to his profile and some poor ones. Sexton has done nothing, especially glaring considering he has some strong for level attributes. He's a lot closer to the cutline if he drops and doesnt elevate his performance. Nadeau rose at Age-19 and is the top minor league prospect I have. If he maintains 15 POT that is a win, as he has had fine performance at all levels. Carr dropping an arm may take him out of the running for primary OF, but his hitting has been excellent thus far. He was an exciting add. Whipple has been growing strongly as far as SI. He has managed a .304 minor league average on the strength of hitting .348 against LHP. Despite his 1B-ish profile, I am liking him more and more. Newell has shown more complete hitting, with perfectly even splits of .322 thus far. Which is good because one day he may be patrolling CF. If he rises to 14, it improved the results of the 2056 draft. Doubt I look at the HS pool again.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Our string of Rookie Awards continues at 5. 2053-2056 we had ROY McCann, Cintron, Goodson, Mares. 2057 We have RPOTY (our first): Kennedy.

I am just slow about promoting to League lol. Though Cintron was kind of a fluke. Alexandria got him to 106 SI without really using him. Lasted just 2 seasons here.

Not sure what the cutoff is. I had thought Kennedy's 33 1/3 IP last season would have made him ineligible. On the season he threw 186 2/3 IP, 3.71 ERA, 43 Walks, 156 Strikeouts, 11 Homers, 4 Complete Games, 16/26 QS.

Paez win his first gold glove, in CF. Hodson was the single All-Leage player we had. He got 2 MVP votes.

Hodson is our POY. At 34, he .326/10/87. Most significantly, despite losing 2 speed these last 2 years, he swiped a career best 69 bases (79%), but that is 5th best all-time. He has been the career SB leader since last season, now with 536.

Going based off the fact that Kennedy was RPOTY with less than 40 IP, I assume cutoff for ROY is 40 games. So, Gomez and Mori are ineligible with 47 games played last season, so newcomer of the year is "Spork" with a .275/4/44 line and a .356 OBP. But he is not really a Rookie, having played 84 games with PV in 2055. So recognition for an NP here becomes almost meaningless and I have no one lol.

Assuming no waiver claims are made of rookies that play enough (likely), I wonder if Gentile will play enough next season to qualify. He is a C, so he could be injured games or in-turn substitute for the other C, Mori. Otherwise, our string probably ends, which is not surprising because we are essentially at the end of the rebuild. We live and die with what we have.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Hodson gets max decline. Arriaga continues his early decline. Burnett declines at 29. Since Sparks failed to gain and is not otherwise above average, I released him. The others went as predicted.
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
The rookie cut off for pitchers is 50 IP.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@Jerbeetwo Thanks
Ced

Denver Broncos
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Think Kono can get all that SI in two seasons?
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes. Yamasaki gained 32 in one season (age 27). Unfortunately "Sweet Potato" is mediocre at best (basically a backup who stays in AAA). Whether I am willing to do that kind of heavy lifting in just 1 season (21 GS, 5.68 ERA, Full Spring/Cup workload) is very dependent on whether my bullpen can rebuild from last season. It was instrumental in our failure to keep pace with Folsom and eventually falling to 4th. There is no mystery to developing pitching. Its how many innings are you willing to give them.

Unfortunately, Kono does not look like more than an average pitcher even so. His attributes will be similar to Yamasaki, with worse control and a better curveball. Lack of control has hurt the team at times. Got steamrolled pretty good by Salisbury and their mammoth PD lineup.

But quality SP is not that easy to find. So maybe he's someone that can pitch above his attributes (like the Mayor generally can)

Updated Tuesday, December 27 2022 @ 11:06:28 am PST

Previous Page | Show All |