Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> You do the math!   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I do what Holmes does in using the AAA roster as a place to store disabled players for long stretches. Sign some FA and shuffle the staff/lineup. Not ideal, but at times, necessary.
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I never need 13 pitchers.
I have 12 currently because of some younger players I am developing that I don't trust quite enough to give them a regular role. But I usually go a whole season with 11 pitchers.

Last season P Alan Austin missed 50+ games as a starter, and P Victor O'Brien missed 35 games as a starter. And I got through the whole season with 12 pitchers.
solace36

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I'll concede you fewer pitcher coaches manage much better than I do then. I also control the back end as my guys don't see 180 innings a season, so I also need to make adjustments as the season goes on to see that doesn't happen unless in an absolute emergency situation.

If my database and management program did it's job correctly, it shows this season these 13 guys won't make this long stretch already described when accounting for our teams average injury history. Many thanks to those responding with constructive info and we'll see how it goes this season.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hmm, so far this season LL IV batters are proving more challenging to get out, so throwing more pitches and using more pitchers than previous seasons. Four pitchers are still developing, however the rest of the staff is not going to get any better. Debating the merits of bringing up one of my AAA pitchers early, and whether I should bring up the righty Roger "Mad Dog" McCoy or lefty Leroy "Preacher" Pope? I don't see myself needing both until inter-divisional play, but could end up needing one more guy as early as today (had four taxing games yesterday).
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I bring guys like that up to soak my cup starts (and whatever scraps might fall to them from league). Only 1 of the 4 guys making cup starts for me this season also starts in league. Sometimes they even go back down after we drop out of the cup. (This strategy isn't for everyone - especially if you like winning cup games :) ).
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't like that for two reasons, 1) two of my starters threw complete game shutouts in the cup and didn't even go to their fatigue limit, 2) I do like winning cup games. It is the league hitters who are making my pitchers work much more, therefore it is the league games where I need the reinforcements. My bullpen didn't even get much work in the cup, whereas the 4 game series against West Empire Falls left everyone in my bullpen at 75% or less. Thus bringing guys up for the cup doesn't solve the problem, which is that my pitching is struggling in early league play (with the exceptions of Burke and Kent so far).

Edit: The decision was made by default, I won't be logging in again until Monday late evening or Tuesday, so in order to insure disaster doesn't strike while I'm away I brought up McCoy to be MR2 while I'm gone, since I won't be able to rearrange guys if an injury occurs.

Updated Thursday, September 10 2015 @ 12:34:13 pm PDT
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Solace, the biggest issue that I see with the way you manage your pitchers is that your hooks are too low. Why do your starting pitchers average under six innings per game? My best pitchers are closer to 7 and above. You are stressing your bullpen needlessly. A 15 stamina halfway decent starter should pitch 200+ innings easily. Why do you hold them under 180 innings? Perhaps your pitch counts are too low? I generally start at 100 for a 14 stamina pitcher and go up or down 5 pitches with each stamina point.

Updated Thursday, September 10 2015 @ 2:38:59 pm PDT
solace36

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
garfscores...
Most all my coaching actions are generally the result of a small program I built that looks at my 8 seasons history and provides player recommendations based upon the data entered and then critically analyzed.

This time of year my pitch count limits are much less than they will be say 30 games from now for SP's. It's not the hook limiting activity, it's the pitch count. Of course the game has it's own hook limit so that can also come into play.

For me, I also take into account how much each SP is used in Spring Training as well. Several seasons back, I think when in III, I extended the SP's season pitch counts to around 210, which provided negative overall results. Perhaps that very limited data is not really representative of what the norm might prove to be.
solace36

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
garfscores...
Most all my coaching actions are generally the result of a small program I built that looks at my 8 seasons history and provides player recommendations based upon the data entered and then critically analyzed.

This time of year my pitch count limits are much less than they will be say 30 games from now for SP's. It's not the hook limiting activity, it's the pitch count. Of course the game has it's own hook limit so that can also come into play.

For me, I also take into account how much each SP is used in Spring Training as well. Several seasons back, I think when in III, I extended the SP's season pitch counts to around 210, which provided negative overall results. Perhaps that very limited data is not really representative of what the norm might prove to be.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
My best pitcher last season threw almost 300 innings last year between cup and league. Your algorithm us wrong. Let your guys pitch to bigger pitch counts. There is your answer.

Updated Saturday, September 12 2015 @ 4:20:26 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |