Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> How Badly Do You Want To Win?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's that time of season when you can measure your team fairly well against the competition and weigh in on your chances of promotion or relegation. I'm curious how many people go for the win no matter the cost, how many refuse to budge on the long-range plan, and how many fit somewhere in between.

Last year, which was my first year, my team was clearly going nowhere and I needed to clean house. I realized I would lose the majority of my remaining games, but I knew I needed to start the building project. What I didn't realize was how badly it would impact the mood of the fans, and ultimately the bottom line in dollars. If I had to do it over again, I would still probably do the same thing.

Now I'm in the reverse situation with a .700 WPCT and a dead-heat two-way race for promotion. So how to play it? I'm deciding to do what I think I would do if it were MLB--play for the win first, build second. I'm guessing it's something like a 80/20 mix.

I'm curious how others play because I'm wondering if the sense of urgency to win now is present in Broken Bat or if it's dominated by a mentality of play for the future. I've never been in a sim like this (with promotion and relegation). In other games, I think teams tend to seize the moment when it comes. I'm curious to see if that occurs nearly as much here.

Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Before interdivisional play, I had fallen 12 games behind the division leader, and I was a similar 12 games ahead of the fifth in the division, so I decided that with the franchise fees, it wasn't worth going all in and burn 20 million from my stash for a mediocre team. At that point, I cut three expensive players totalling over 22 million of payroll. I seem to have compensated that well, as since then, I have actually inched up a little bit, but with 9 wins behind at 50 games to go, the thrill is essentially gone for this season, so I might make some more rearrangements to optimizie my player development at the expense of a win or two.
If I was in contention for a promotion or even threatened by a demotion to the economic purgatory of league 4, I would spend whatever I can to make my team better. Without the franchise fees, I would probably have tried a little longer to keep my division interesting. The way it is, my focus is on the future.
Luizmussa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well Im leading my division with a .700 win% and 4 games ahead of 2nd place so I think its pretty obvious. And doing that with 4-5 promoted players during all season, so I would even take my chances and call it already a successful season.

Just for the matter: why is level IV the economic purgatory?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
This season was all about staying up in this league with no illusions that I could challenge for the top spot. So far, mission accomplished. Now it's all about developing some bats to go along with my strong and improving pitching. Success from here until the offseason will hinge on who pops in training and who promotes.

Despite having multiple claims out for each day, I haven't won a waiver in quite a while so I'm planning on dancing with the girls that brung me so to speak and develop the guys I already have in my system instead of counting on any outside reinforcements.
dwindacatcher

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My moment isn't here yet, and might not be for a few seasons. While I thought I was going to be a lot better than I've been, I don't think my team will tank and send me to regulation. My biggest problem is I had 4 relief pitchers poo to the majors this year, and none of them are any good yet. So we are losing a lot of close games.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Luizmussa:
The attendance adjustments meant to reduce the overflow of money in the upper leagues set in in League IV. In my case, that meant a drop in ticket income (at very, very similar win% and cup success) dropped by 17.5 million going from League V to IV. All the managers I have read complaining about their profitablity BEFORE the introduction of franchise fees despite good sports results were from League IV. Now add in 10 million in franchise fees, and I have absolutely no idea how I could get a team out of the red in IV.
ianheath653

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When I started a while ago, I went with a "win now" mentality at first. It worked early on, taking my team from VI to V to IV over a five season run, but it got harder to sustain with each season. I started shifting to much more of an emphasis on drafting and player development, went through two bad seasons while waiting for that approach to pay off and have gotten back to being competitive in the fifth tier.
My goal now is more one of consistency through continued emphasis on player development rather than landing big waiver claims and free agents. If my team can stay in the mix every season, the odds of lucking out in any one season and winning a title are decent each time. I don't feel a need to go out of the way to push my team to the third, second, or major league tier at the risk of breaking the bank or setting up a future collapse. Attendance and finances stay solid that way.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
With a 70-40 record and a 7 game lead I am looking to promote to level IV. I started in the middle of 2018. My roster is in their prime, mostly 27-28 year olds. I also have some key young players either contributing or on their way. My team has come together quicker than I anticipated but it's time to keep pushing.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
With a 15 game lead over 5th place I'm pretty much assured of staying up, but I a m in 4th place and 8 games out. Every time my team has made a push (and twice taken the division lead) they basically imploded for the next 20 games to look terrible. That said, I'm staying the course and even if it takes a few seasons, I'll get promoted at some point. I say that based on my (hopefully not misplaced) confidence in my prospects turning into good pros.

Previous Page | Show Page |