Baseball Forum

Forum >> Baseball >> Postponed opening   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
It’s got to be the NBA. I read an article yesterday on how the risk/reward taken by the Bundesliga has paid off brilliantly. Have had the world sports stage all to themselves.

Enjoyed reading your post Privatesnowflake. The one thing I would question is the likelihood of the PA winning the grievance over the number of games. The fascinating thing is the PA wouldn’t have to win for that to be a boon. A grievance might force the books open which would be very valuable heading into new CBA negotiations.

In the framework released yesterday the players cede the ability to grieve. That’s huge. The main risk being taken on by the owners now is 2nd wave / cancelled playoffs. Expect a final agreement to pass some of this risk on to the players (clawing back a % of salary in that circumstance).
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll add the Atlanta Braves financials are public as they are owned by a publicly traded company.

TL;DR

The club raked in $476m in total revenues in 2019 with an operating income (profit) of $54m (and made $94m in 2018!).

After some fancy accounting (lol @ stock-based compensation and "depreciation"), the club was able to report a LOSS of $32m in 2019.

FWIW, Liberty Media bought the Braves in 2007 for $400m. Today, the Braves are worth $1.8b. Quite an investment.

AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 “…The sides expanded the designated hitter to games involving National League teams for the first time and instituted the radical innovation of starting extra innings with a runner on second base.”

I [CENSORED] hate this. All of it and every [CENSORED] thing about it. Can we put Bud Selig back in the commissioners office again yet? >.<

Updated Tuesday, June 23 2020 @ 8:22:31 pm PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Not Bud Selig, please!

Steve
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I don’t like him either, but he’s better than Manfred.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Apparently the DH in the National League was not agreed to for the 2021 season, just the 2020 season. Also the runner on second in extras is only the 2020 regular season, not the postseason or subsequent seasons. I am slightly mollified by this, but only slightly. The fact that it’s happening at all opens up the possibility of it being revisited later.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The universal DH is inevitable. Its something the players association endorses and relatively few owners oppose. Its all but certain it goes in the next CBA.

EPL restarting is a meaningful precursor for North American sports. I don't follow the NBA very closely. I suspect they might be concerned about using Florida as their hub?
DRS71119

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I hope this stupid rule of starting with a man on second only lasts this season.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
That rule will only be this season. :)

I really enjoyed the Fangraphs article titled something like "Billy Hamilton on base to start the 10th". Had some cool numbers RISP.

Its a rule I saw a lot when I played fastball. Players actually like it. At least the hacks i
played with.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Definitely a rec league thing. I would hate playing with a rule like that.

Previous Page | Show All |