League Forum

Forum >> Leagues >> VI.30   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rdub29317

Indianapolis Ducks
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I just realized I'll be seeing a familiar face in the league this year! Jeff Bradley found his way to Prattville.

Take good care of him over there, he was my first draft pick when I took over in Indy. Hopefully he has a good season in his new home.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball

I just realized I'll be seeing a familiar face in the league this year! Jeff Bradley found his way to Prattville.

Take good care of him over there, he was my first draft pick when I took over in Indy. Hopefully he has a good season in his new home.

I’d like to give a big shoutout to.

1. You for cutting him 2 years after the ROY season with 123 ABs.
2. My boredom for leading me to the 26 yo FA pool :)

He’s in the lefty lineup, so look out for him in our box scores :)
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Something is very, very, very wrong. Prattvile is leading the division.

Despite my homegrown guy Davila being 2-32, he did raise his AVG 13 points last series, so things are looking up for him. Solis and De Smet, former All Stars who combined, along with Curtis McGee, combined for a 14-45 record last season, have all temporally rebounded (except for McGee, who hadn’t had a good season at any point), and Cavazos, who’s come back to Prattville to be sent off in style, is sparkling out of the pen. Plus, relievers Sales, Mendoza, and Tornado Alley have been shining.

Every starter but Davila and Lozano has been doing well after an outburst against Boca Raton, while Bradley is 6-12 and Gil is hitting .462 off the bench.

We also got a fine draft pick, and promotion might be coming way too soon for us, how are y’all doing?
Rdub29317

Indianapolis Ducks
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, about a month into the new season and the Indianapolis Ducks are in 1st place! With the best run differential in the division to boot!

While the offense as a whole hasn't been atrocious, in all competitions my only real All-Star level performer is, unsurprisingly, Ivan Ventura. The real driving force so far is the pitching staff. Si Woo Lee is an absolute sensation. Dennis Edwards is getting some defensive help, but is finally keeping the ball in the yard and is making strides on his strikeout rate. Emilio Muniz is giving up too many fly balls, but is still striking out people like crazy. Rosen and Morales have been rock solid out of the bullpen. It's all coming together on that side of the ball.

While the defense isn't great, it's improved enough for the team's FIP to be higher than the team's ERA by about 0.6 runs. However, even if things even out as the year goes on, we can live with a team ERA around 3.8.

Let's hope the offense continues to grow and can match what the pitching staff has done so far!
Rdub29317

Indianapolis Ducks
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
2050 All-Star Predictions!
I have to say, it is a refreshing spot to be in to be in first in the division by a decent margin. This is by far my best Ducks team, and it's on both side as things stand. The offense as a team has a .740 OPS, which is slightly below league average, but a huge improvement on years' past. The pitching staff is tremendous. 3.09 team ERA and 3.92 team FIP are league bests by some distance, as is the .232 opponents' batting average. The offense is good enough, and the pitching is elite. We keep this up, we are well on our way to a division title.

On offense, I don't think there are a lot of great candidates. The team has improved statistically because the bottom of the order has improved a lot. Stromberg, Graves, Knutsen, and Weston are all having career-best years if they keep up this pace, but the only two guys I think can make the All-Star roster for me here are Ivan Ventura and Edgar Aguilar.
Aguilar has been a great surprise since I gave him a flyer a couple of years ago. One year off the bench led to a full-time starting job in 2049, and an All-Star appearance. He has a great combo of contact, speed, and a surprising amount of power that has turned him into a great offensive option. He's even settled in more defensively too. Would be fun to see him make two straight appearances.
While the days of MVP-level Ivan Ventura may be over, he is still a high-level offensive player. While his batting average is down a bit from his typical .300 level, he is still drawing walks and hitting extra bases for fun. He also finally has guys getting on base around him to potentially get him his first 100 RBI season since 2046. I don't see him getting many votes at the end of the season, but he wouldn't be a bad choice for an All-Star tomorrow.

Would I complain if I had all five pitching spots in the All-Star game tomorrow? Probably not. I bet I could make a legitimate case for quite a few guys to make it from this Ducks staff. Lemke's move to the bullpen has revitalized him at age 32, Solarzano continues to prove himself as one of the best high-usage relievers in the league. Sanderson's numbers aren't eye-popping but he leads the league in saves. Spivey, Rosen, and Morales have all been great as low-usage relievers. But, I don't think all 5 spots would be fair because there have been a lot of great pitchers across the league this year. I'll save the legitimate cases for the three aces in the rotation: Xavier Calderon, Dennis Edwards, and Si Woo Lee.
Calderon has been a staple in the Ducks staff since being called up in 2044 and winning Rookie Pitcher of the Year. Since 2046 he has had at least 136 strikeouts per season, and in his five seasons as a starter he has never really had a bad year. This year however, something has clicked on a new level. A lot of it looks like standard Calderon: on pace for another 140+ strikeout season, a typical low walk rate, similar home run rate to other seasons in his career.. So what is causing him to have the best ERA in the league? He has a career best opponent batting average of .189! Part of that is likely coming from the Ducks' improved defense, but Calderon is also keeping the ball on the ground, with a career best GB/FB ratio. While it might be a little bit of luck, his numbers are impressive and it wouldn't surprise me if he makes the team.
Finally, this is the Dennis Edwards we have been waiting for. When I called him up in 2047 at age 20 I knew he was raw and it would take some time, but the patience has paid off. Not only has he increased his strikeout rate (on-pace for another 120+ K season) and kept his walk rate consistently low, he has now found a way to keep the ball in the park. After allowing 65 home runs in his first 93 starts over three seasons, he has given up just 4 in 16 starts and almost 100 innings this year. Not only is the 2.33 ERA a career best, but so is the 3.51 FIP. The Prince Who Was Promised has finally arrived, and the best part is he is still only 23 years old. Whether he makes the All-Star team this year or not, he could be at this for a long time to come.
For all the talk about the rebuild in Indianapolis and the hype for the young offensive guys with high potential and Edwards as the future ace, there hasn't been enough conversation about Si Woo Lee. As a 2nd round pick out of South Korea in 2047, his 5.03 ERA doesn't stick out as overly-impressive. The 436 strikeouts however, do. The Ducks took a chance on his electric stuff and after just a couple months in AAA he got the call to come up and be in the bullpen at age 23. As he slowly improved in the pen over the last two and a half years, I was waiting for the right time to unleash the beast I thought was growing right under everyone's noses. This year he has been everything I dreamed he could be and more. 83 strikeouts in 93 innings, only 4 home runs allowed, 2.31 ERA, team best 3.10 FIP. Shame on the offense for not getting him enough run support so his record is only 5-6 because I honestly feel he has been my best pitcher.

Overall, that's how I feel. I have a case for a lot of guys, but I would be happy to get 3 or 4 guys named for sure. Best of luck to everyone!
timothy

West Fargo Turtles
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The downfall of Minnetonka has been pretty extreme. One of the previous owners from when I was in the league really blew up the budget, so I would imagine that when it reverted to a bot, it was a mess.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Anyone here?
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, here I am again. 35-35 after 70 games is a lot better than I normally do and I’m only 5 games off the lead. All Star break is coming up, and I think I have some potential ASG dudes. For sure making it is Wilkins , who’s casually posted a 1.019 OPS after losing a SI (as well as after 4 seasons of average production). Simmons and Flangan have good chances as well. Baez has a shot, and De Smet, somehow still hanging on at 34, and Mendoza are still stalwarts, however, 1-claimer Marks could also have a chance. More organizational-like stuff in my next post.
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Well now about the organization and stuff. North, our extremely young and soon to be extremely well paid SS, has made some more gains in SI, improved in basically every way, and is currently the best fielding SS in the VI.30. Wilkins (33 2B, 19 HR) continues to rock those balls out of the park, while Flanagan is putting together an rather impressive season as well(32 SB, 46 BB/37 K, 34 2B). Simmons is also doing OK but not flashy. And rookie hitters Register (25 2B, 10 3B, 11 HR and Santini are each putting together impressive seasons. It’s a good year for the hitters.

All of the pitchers on the roster now have been proven good pitchers, but there’s been a lot of bad outings by since-released players. De La Cruz seems to be perpetually either Very Hot or Very Cold, however, he’s only 21 so I’ll give him a pass. Waiver claim Russo is expensive but worth it, McGee isn’t doing great but he isn’t sucking either, Bähr isn’t shining but he’s getting better, Solis is continuing to be an innings-eater from the ‘pen, but they’re not the highlight players. That would be our 2 core guys, Mendoza, who is continuously improved over his 3 seasons, and De Smet, who’s having a career season but can’t catch a win, however, there’s also unexpected successes in 1-claimers Baez and Marks, who actually got to start this year. Minor league stuff coming soon :)
NotGood88

Prattville Black Cats
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
And now the minor league reshot because I’m still bored. I’ll start with the draftees and then work my way down from AAA to Rookie. Draft has been shockingly good this year. For comparison, the most people I’ve ever had stick (made it through the season on my team) is 5 (and of David, Gardener, Nash, Hughes, and Burgos, only Gardener is still here). But anyways, this year’s draft class.

It started off really great with Casas, and Wheeler is pretty good as well. Caruso was solid and Ritter is just plain interesting, and I thought that would be it. But then Whitemore showed up, Murphay magically appeared on my board, and now we have C/3B Kelly. Some luck I’ve had.

Hess made it to the majors and hasn’t been half-bad, Childs continues to be stingy with the HRs, Houck still can’t figure out how to play 3B, and Yeager is getting ready to make the jump to the majors next year. In AA, Harley continues to post stealer GB/FB, ERA, and HR rates while also becoming properly developed, Bond has let it be known that he likes to steal bases, and Muñoz has been awesome across 2 levels. Gardener is hitting OK, Wheeler is doing pretty well and Lira is having another low-.700s OPS year.

The lower minors are also doing well. Abel has an inspiring K/BB ratio, Krieg is rocking it, Navarro looks like he’s gonna have another 45+ SB season, Saglado does his job in the least interesting way possible, and Dobbs only needs 1 HR to be a 20/25 man this year. In Rookie Ball, Casas and Ritter are doing all right, Kelley hasn’t had much time, Caruso and Murphay (especially Murphay, with 7 HRs and 11 steals in less than 50 games) are rocking it, and Forrester was an excellent FA signee.

Speaking of acquiring players, we’ve made some deadline moves, as we’re Cole a fling in the starting lineup, and Guajardo gets a chance in the minors. Should also be able to pick up Artaega (that SB rate is amazing) and hopefully Scanlon up off waivers tonight.

So, yeah! That’s that for this year.

Previous Page | Show All |