Help

Forum >> Help >> New position   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Cicco76

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Can I still change a player's position at 26? do it just play in the new position? How long will it take?

I would like to change them:

https://brokenbat.org/player/201987

New position; SS
---

https://brokenbat.org/player/217532

New position: 2B

Thanks

Updated Thursday, September 10 2020 @ 2:16:42 am PDT
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Are you positive you need both as middle infielders now? I agree they look like MIs from a cold start, but here's my logic:

Neither have any experience at 2B, but Shepard is a year younger and has a tad more SS experience already (0.6 vs 0.4). One play you could make is get Shepard going on SS and sign a better 2B prospect.

As a comp, i started giving Stewart SS reps when he was 24, and he got to full 3.0 SS just before he turned 28 I believe. He started at 0.4:
http://brokenbat.org/player/176251/T

If it were me, I'd send Shepard down to AAA, get him up to 1.0 at SS, then bring him back up and play him every day, and he'll be serviceable there in a year and at 3.0 around 28-29.

I don't think you'd get either giving you really strong 2B presence for the next 3 years, and I'm not sure it would be productive with them. I've heard that "0.0" XP can actually be a negative number, which would make this exercise even more of a time suck.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
again not knowing your situation, if you wanted them both in the infield at least, Shepard has 3B XP too, so you could do Shepard at 3B and O'neill at SS. hate to use a 19 arm at 2B!

I think Shepard needs some more AAA training and reps anyway, so it will be fine for him and I'd start him out on this exercise down there this year.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Russel Jonsson is my own example of switching an outfielder to shortstop after he’d already been brought up to the Majors. Granted, Steve might have tinkered with positional learning rates since then, but I think it’s still doable. …As long as you accept that you’re very definitely not going to be earning any Gold Gloves at short throughout the transition period.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it took me about 7 seasons to train up a minor league 2B from no experience. Major leagues is faster, and SS probably takes a bit longer. So AP's 6 seasons for SS seems to jive.

If you don't mind them making LOTS of errors for 4-5 seasons, then it is certainly doable. But I'm not sure its worth it.

You'll get fewer overall errors from an experienced less optimal build over the course of those guys' careers.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Is SS really slower? With more chances don't you gain position knowledge faster? While SS may be a more complex position, they do get a lot of chances. Sort of think this evens out.

I think 6 seasons is too high. (That's basically the same number of seasons as minor training). Looking at my guys ~0.8 per season is about what to expect for a middle infielder. That's around 4 seasons.

It's still a bad proposition for 26 year olds. Sucks to have skills dropping before you master your position.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree I think 4 seasons is more realistic, assuming the player starts in the neighborhood of 0.5 skill and gets a full workload at that position over that time frame.

I think AP's example he shifted some playing time to 1B part way through the changeover. With Stewart I put him full throttle at SS and the changeover was around 4 years from 0.4 to 3.0
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its not a question of realism, just a question of fact. Position knowledge is based on defensive appearances (innings), not attempts.

If it take 4 years it take 4 years, if it takes 6 it takes 6. It looks like you have recent data suggesting 4 seasons. Its also worth taking your managers skills into account as that is also a factor in training speed. JohnnyBoi62's manager is WAY better at fielding dev than AP's.

It looks like AP used his guy for 1 season in the OF, but at SS for the rest of the time, so I'd shave a year off his time frame which puts him at 5 years to train his guy in the majors (playing pretty much every game).

Even if its 4 season. I wouldn't bother with a 25/26 year old. They aren't going to be good fielders until they are 29/30 years old. Only if you plan on rebuilding for the next 3 seasons anyhow.

Cicco76 actually has a fabulous fielding training manager. So maybe you'll get down under 4 season. But I would still expect it to take close to 4 seasons.

Updated Thursday, September 10 2020 @ 3:26:15 pm PDT
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry Rock, by “realistic” here I was referring to my prior experience inside BrokenBat, such as with Stewart. I know I’ve used that term differently in the past.

Bottom line my opinion is it’s a borderline move for the original poster, so I tried to explain that and suggest an alternative with the SS/3B adjustment.

I don’t like to get too detailed in my expectations, but I agree I think it would take 4-5 years of near full time work to move from 0.4->3.0 at a middle infield position. Seems like a lot of work and time sunk with subpar defenders up the middle in the majors to end up with 30-31!year old guys in the case of those 2. I did it with Stewart because he was a bit younger and his build was begging for it and some nice player suggested it to me when I was new.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Seca actually has the closest to neutral for dev. He said ~4 seasons. Johnny's manager is better at dev and he saw ~4 seasons. AP saw 5 season with horrendous fielding dev. So my guess is that with a fabulous fielding dev guy you might get down below 4 seasons, but I doubt it will get any lower then 3.5.
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Actually the manager who coached Stewart through a lot of the transition was "Wham Bam" Cam Cunningham. So far Cam is most notable for his powerful offensive squads, somehow winning the freaking BrokenBat cup with Boulder, and also occasionally tripping over his two left feet for how clumsy he is. This clumsiness translates to some lackluster defense and defensive development. He managed in Florissant all the way through the end of 2044 season, but since I changed managers on the last day, Ortiz gets credited for that year in the history books. Here's Cam for you:

http://brokenbat.org/manager/3395

It's very interesting how similar all the transitions have been, given the differences noted. Just another tid bit to consider.

My personal takeaway is try and keep the start age of major position changes to 24 or under. Obviously if a great candidate is available, my out is that some rules are made to be broken.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LOL

Ok, lets take a step back and take a slightly deeper look.

Stewart increased 2.5 points between 2043 and 2046, with an average coaching of 8.33.

Jonsson increased 3 points between 2030 and 2037 with an average coaching of 5.7 (but also a year off in which he would have experienced some decline).

This would seem to indicate that 1 point of coaching skill equates to 0.1 point of fielding growth per year (for a SS). That number also jives with what Seca has seen with a manager skill of 8. It also seems to compute with what I have been seeing with my guys with an 11 manager skill.

If (big if) that logic follows, then the Swallow's manager (19 skill) might actually be able to train up a player in 1.5 seasons!

I am VERY suspect of that assumption based on only a few data points though. More data is really needed. Especially from someone who actually has a manager with good fielding development skills.

But if its really only 1.5 seasons... It might not be so bad.

Updated Thursday, September 10 2020 @ 7:03:18 pm PDT
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Also worth mentioning, in addition to the season he spent in right field, a couple of his earlier seasons were under higher fielding developing managers than McAndrews. Also also worth mentioning, those seasons were before Steve differentiated fielding and pitching from hitting, so he would have been benefiting from 15 and 18 development for the first two-and-a-half seasons of my ownership of the team.

And finally, quick question: Do we actually know if learning a position goes faster or slower based on a manager’s development rating? I’d always been under the impression that it’s a fixed rate (and possibly adjusted by some hidden variable on the player).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's why I put down 5.7 and not 4 for your manager's fielding skill ;)

I assume managers do effect position knowledge. Otherwise, what is the point of Fielding Development. If it was only for the one skill of Fielding, it would be of very unbalanced value.

The numbers I compared above do seem to indicate a direct correlation between position knowledge growth and Fielding Development.
Cicco76

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks to all of you for clearing my doubts, a very newbie question, how do you EXACTLY know the level of knowledge gained in a position?

Really thanks again
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If you go to the "Development Graph" view on a player's page (drop down at the bottom), and scroll to the very bottom you can see how much experience they have at each position.

O'Neil for instance has 0.4 experience in SS. 3.0 is maxed out.
Cicco76

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Magic :)
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Hmm .. same idea.

Mateo Galindo came out of the 3B pool, looked like my future SS...

Got a new SS and 3B

Should I keep trying to fit Matty into 2b?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Almost helpful ... what would you do with him?
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
Bechtel (new 3B) is young. Needs another year in AAA at least. I'd give Galindo reps at 3B this year then make a decision next year at this time about who gets to be "starter".

Having a good SS/3B backup is worthwhile too, so if Galindo ever only ends up being that, he'd still be useful.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You could also play Tsukahara at 2B. He is the better SS, but he is a much better 2B than Galindo. At 24, with his skill already at 2.2, its not a bad investment to get Tsukahara dual positioned anyhow. Just gives you more flexibility moving forward.

I suspect Tsukahara is more likely to end up in the backup role, and being a SS/2B will give him a lot more value.

Updated Sunday, September 13 2020 @ 2:51:31 pm PDT
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Elders have spoken.

I'm still leaning towards ...
24yo Kazuo "Samurai Cat" Tsukahara at SS
and 27yo Mateo Galindo working on 2B.

My AAA (turning into quad-A) options @ Middle IF backup / utility look much better at 2B -
Juan Velázquez and
C.J. Brennan

and the prodigal son returns bit... "Flying Pasgetti" Rossetti should cover 3B decently until Betchel is ready.

I do hope my next draft pick steals the future SS spot.

Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Looks like I picked the right time

(Airplane jokes)

Rotation with 1,0,1,0,2 exp
19 games back.
8-24 in one run games.

Only thing left to ask ... where's my youth movement?

amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Only thing left to ask ... where's my youth movement?

You grew out of it. ;)

As to your actual quandary, I'd have Galindo, Tsukahara and Bechtel exactly where you have them.

Previous Page | Show Page |