Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> What's wrong with this guy?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Scott is only one SI point short of the low end of 14 (112), he is also within the scouted range of his report (14-16 velocity, 14-16 movement, 14-16 stamina), so the most disappointing thing there is likely his actual pitching this season.

Updated Sunday, March 13 2016 @ 12:37:12 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh yeah, I forgot that I had to rush Qiao. That's probably the problem with him.

Still doesn't explain Nishmura though, because I know he was recommended... BTW, Nishmura is a USA player, not Asian.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I suppose I could drop Qiao down to the minors for each training update. That way he could get training and I would get use out of him. Strangely enough he is my 4th best starter right now...
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, Nishamura is just an anomaly I think. If Qiao is getting the job done, then who cares what his SI is? :P Could be worth doing that to see if he trains, but I wouldn't try it because I know I'd forget, heck I forgot I was running a four man rotation for a whole real life week...
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well he isn't really doing good. Just less crappy then some of the other guys. My staff has been getting torn apart this year.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm trying to take a more fofy approach on the forums. But I love talking about player development. Can't help but share my current theory.

I suspect that SI gains from XP are not linear, but follow a yield curve. Steep at the beginning, flattening out with time. (SI on y-axis, time as AB or IP on x). Many players cap during the steep portion of the graph (which appears linear). Some don't. These guys you can sometimes see adding a point here or there at fairly advanced ages / high experience levels (though this could also be the small amount of training received in the majors).

Different players have different amounts of time (experience available to them). I feel 200 IP is typical. 100 IP is near the minimum. Some guys still chugging away at higher thresholds.

Lower experience limits (100 IP --> 20-25 SI) can still cap, but they need to have trained well. The 2 players linked did not train well enough. Older draft age / placement level did not get them far enough for their lower XP to cap them.

This may tie in to another topic we've discussed - that is, how smart is the minor league promotion system? In my experience, young players with low SI that get ML recommendations have always had a big XP pool. 22 yr 65 SI pitchers have always found the 40-45 SI they need to cap. The system may be giving information about how much XP is available. A player may labour in A and AA b/c the system knows he's got a smaller XP pool and needs every point of training he can get.

If you believe this (all theory) it is more reason to consider giving 25 yr minor bootees an extra year of training b/f ML call up.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well Nishmura was recommended at 24 not 25.

The theory makes sense for Qiao at least given he couldn't get out of A before he turned 25. Given his SI I wasn't surprised.

Updated Tuesday, March 15 2016 @ 9:08:15 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've had one or two players fall short despite doing everything I could think of, Burke comes to mind. The point though is that these are likely outliers, and therefore should not be who we decide our training policies off of, since for every guy we get who we cannot get to his cap we are able to get 9 (or more) other guys to their caps. Now whether they ever turn into a good player or not is a completely different discussion.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Nishimura's SI gains trace a fairly decent yield curve.

He's 1 point short. Could be rounding. Could be there is one more point to appear on the far end of the curve.

Either way, he looks like an example that is right on the threshold. I would consider him consistent with the theory.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Burke never came close. Though he also was promoted at 25 so maybe more minor league training could have helped, however he maxed at 100, with 14 potential. That is at least 12 points he never got, as he is in steep decline at this point since he is 32. Still think some of those types simply are outliers, that cannot make it to their cap.

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page