Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Make RNG less important, please.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Divac

Florence Violets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, best WHIP in the game have those guys I talk about. They have also small faul territory, yet they're the best in the league.

It's fine that my team struggles but how can anyone adjust when you can't even slightly predict the outcome? I already understand that skills don't matter because there should be so many hidden once. Or maybe, just maybe, it's all RNG. Because you can't find common pattern even if you try. Some pitchers with high skills work sometimes, sometimes not and pitchers with low skills sometimes work and sometimes not. Same goes for hitters.

We can try to talk it out but in the end good players play bad and weaker players play great... and nobody can tell why.

And once again. This is absolutely no problem in HW where good players always deliver somewhat good and weak once in general produce weak performances. For example Martin Pokorný or Juan Caldera. You can see clear path how they developed and their stats changed based on that. Also, in HW you can tell that player with specific comments will be good if he develops enough. Like Ladislav Havlíček, he was weak but his progress was great so in the end he becomes good player. In BB nobody would bet on him because his internal stats are horrible. But that stuff doesn't work in HW. Once you have good skills you're good player. Done. No need to pray for good RNG, no need to moving player around in rotation, no need to guess from stats or tea leafs.

Even in HW are a lot of variables. Every season different lineup, opponents (no need to tell, those variables are known unlike in BB)... but you're still able to tell who will be good and who will not and why. You can't tell exactly how good or bad, sure, but you can tell. In BB is something like that impossible.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I haven't played HW in a while, but one advantage we have here is that we have many years of stats to fall back on. You definitely can't just judge how good a player is based on their ratings alone.

BTW, I took a quick look at their staff and it look pretty good (outside a few young guys).

I suspect you might feel that my staff is weak as well? Would you expect Stiles or Kelly to be poor pitchers? You might not be looking at the right things for pitchers.

Updated Thursday, April 27 2023 @ 2:17:33 pm PDT
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I myself have not had great success with slow pitching righties with big curveballs. Of course most of my guys rarely exceed 18. 19 should be better. But I'd say Stiles may be more similar to previous years as a mean than this season. Kelly I would expect to be good, because, my bias again, I have had decent success with unhittable guys with lower movement and cos starting games.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That's because you have less data about Stiles than I do ;) Haverhill has had many years of success, often with one of the top staffs in the league, dominated by big curveball pitchers.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I must have forgotten who I was talking to. Carry on
Divac

Florence Violets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock question is kind of part of the problem. If we look from that any skill above 18 or 19 had hudge impact... I can't tell. Marvin Stiles, he's already done with his development but this season he has much better ERA and better WHIP too.

So if you ask me if this dudes will be good for my team, I don't know. I have pitcher friendly ballpark, so I would expect those pitchers should be better or the same, but we all know it doesn't work this way.

If you want to say coaches do the difference, I doubt. T.J. Kramer has 14 pitching and he's 60, so I guess this is already his number, pitcher coach Diego Machado is actually missed placed and has 9 pitching so far. This doesn't look like staff that makes difference.

So, coaches - no, ballpark - no, defense - no. Randomness, nothing more.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I made changes to my park a couple years back. And Stiles performance tanked. I felt like the changes were hurting more players than they were benefiting, so this year I adjusted things back to the way they were previously.

Competition, coaches, ballpark all have big factors. It isn't just having a 19. A 19 could easily be a 17 after all.

Stats are important. And stats help you understand the hidden variables. Its not just random.

Fastball pitchers tend to give up a lot of HRs. Finding a guy who keeps the ball down (high GB/FB) is a good indicator, but it doesn't tell the whole story. Kelly has a long history (minors, etc.) of not giving up HRs despite an average GB/FB.

You don't want to just look for a guy with 19 velocity. You want the guy with 19 velocity who is also not giving up a ton of HRs, or walking every other batter.

You are correct that you can't just get a guy with great Ratings and assume they will perform. And yes players seem to perform very streaky at times. But no, it isn't all just RNG.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I also wouldn't call your park pitcher friendly. It is a large park with relatively low walls.

A large park like that is murder on high GB/FB pitchers, so it would kill many of my guys.

The lower walls mean more HRs, so it is also rough on low GB/FB pitchers.

My philosophy is to collect players with synergistic strengths, and then build my park towards those strengths. That is why I have a small park with high walls. Its more friendly to my pitchers.

Worth mentioning; statistically you have the 2nd best pitching staff in the East. So its not like your staff are slouches.

Your team's biggest pitching weakness is probably the HRs. Your team GB/FB is relatively low, and you give up more than your share of HRs. It may be helping your hitters to have the lower walls, but it isn't helping the pitchers. Not suggesting you should change anything (as I haven't even looked at your hitters or your competition) but it always worth weighing the pluses and minuses.

Updated Friday, April 28 2023 @ 6:36:29 am PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
How do you objectively determine if RNG is too much or too little.

Most of the player statistics are inline and the team W-L totals at the end of the year are pretty close to MLB totals.

Steve
Divac

Florence Violets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Only one who knows real random numbers inpact is you, so I think we can't tell objectively. As a player of this great game I can only try to explain what I see.

I put some examples above, from my team and also from others. Guys get worse or better for no reason I can see. If that's something else then RNG, you have to say.

If I compare BB and HW, nobody talk about RNG. In BB you hear about it kind of in any discussion about players performance etc. That could be also lead. But maybe BB is more complex then HW and we just can see the real reasons (which is completely fine if that's the case).

Previous Page | Show All |