Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Player Conundrum   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Benchwarmer

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Up for discussion, this guy seems like a little bit of a puzzle. He's 14 pot, but only 35 SI after a season of terrible pitching at the rookie level. And he's 20 years old. I have the feeling he is not going to come even close to realizing his potential. I want to hold onto him for another season or two to see if he spikes, but I'm not holding out too much hope. I'm afraid I may just be taking up a roster spot and then throwing him to the trash heap in a couple seasons. We shall see.
Garnash1970

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Benchwarmer

14 pot pitchers don't come along very often. I would definitely keep him. I'd what I could to push him along, especially in spring training and cup games. I'd also try to sneak him in the big league roster for a week at a time each season.

I picked up this guy a couple of seasons ago, he was dropped for the same reasons. He gained 17 points SI so far this season.

You don't have a lot of pitching depth in the minors at all, so I would keep him for sure!

I'm gonna bookmark him in case you don't! :)~
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't worry about his minor league stats.

He may not pan out, but I think it is too early to tell. Roster size is large enough to carry a few higher risk higher reward prospects.

I like the advice of using him in spring training. Don't like the advice of playing him in the cup / bringing him up each season.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
From what I've seen a lot of players develop really slow while they are young/rookie league. He'll probably pick up the pace. Plus pitchers can gain huge amounts of SI when you promote them to the bigs (once they are ready).
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The cup games thing is iffy... at least it doesn't hurt your team. I wouldn't play in league games at all this early unless it's after there are no more minors sims for the season. Spring training and September call-ups seem to me like the best way to get extra experience beyond what regular minors play offers.

But yeah... definitely hold on and try to do what you can to promote growth and avoid moves that could stunt it.

Updated Tuesday, August 18 2015 @ 7:45:52 am PDT
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You drafted him 6 weeks ago and been thru 5 updates
At this rate , he should be mid 90 SI when he is 26
Would certainly hold on to him

Minor league stats can be very misleading
With such high BA against and high WHIP
The FIP is 2 points lower than his ERA
Which will drop as defense improves as he does have a decent GB/FB ratio
Giving up one homer per nine innings not bad and almost 1K/inning
Bookmarked him too
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Very true. A 5 SI raise for an incomplete season is actually very good.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Seca and the gizmo are spot on. First season usually is slow, and it was an incomplete one at that. Prime candidate for spring training work, but I would not promote him for cup or league games until 23 or 24. This guy is not on a bad pace at all considering he was only drafted 5 weeks ago. If you drop him I would pick him up as well. This is one of those guys who would make you regret dropping him if you did it...

Updated Tuesday, August 18 2015 @ 11:25:16 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |