Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> New Player Hello   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Ezaco

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Howdy all!

I'm new here in this game, and looks like I joined at the perfect time. I took over the East Lansing Indians (re-named Dragons) on Christmas Eve, just in time for the playoffs to end and get ready for the new season!

I'm from Kentucky and love baseball, and I'm just getting into sports management games. I got my first tasting joining a Quidditch management game last month, and in desire to keep scratching the itch I found this place, and I'm very glad I did.

I just wanted to pop in and say hello, and check with you vets that I've done everything I can so far.. I've drafted two players (one high school one college), cut some of my older, less skilled players (team lost a ton of money last year, it looks like) and replaced the manager. I also made some adjustments to the stadium (shrank it a little, average capacity was only 6,000 and maximum was 12,000 last season, in a stadium that was fairly large). It won't allow me to sign any more players, and I noticed someone said something about not being able to sign Free Agents in the Off Season, so I'm assuming the off season Draft is over? Or something? Feel like I missed something there.

Also side note, not as important, but I'd like to move my team from East Lansing to somewhere in Kentucky, which as I understand can only be done in the off season.. I see the option for it in the Profile but it's greyed out. Has the time availability for that not come yet?
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Welcome to BrokenBat. You can move your team once the season flip has occured. The season flip will happen in a few days.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
About your roster, you should release Pedro Portillo, Ivan Tovar and Darren Haas because they have low skill and Pedro Portillo and Andrew Wall should retire. You should place Josh Higgins to the correct minor league affiliate. Bobby Bryant should be released because he should be retired. You should also release Diego Molina, Jamie Waters, and Lorenzo Rosales because they won't be very good. I suggest you sign replacement players that are between the ages 25-28 for those guys once the season flips.

Minors: Release Brady Dean, Jose Abeyta, Andres Viciedo, and Fabian Salinas. Sign players with good overall or very good overall that are 12+ potential.

Pitching looks bad with a 4.94 ERA and the defense doesn't look too bad overall.
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Welcome to the game
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey Ezaco o/

Welcome to Broken Bat. Free agency should open in the next few days. Once it opens, put a claim on every player you think will improve your team. Competition for waivers can be pretty high. You likely won't get all the players you want, so be sure to "over" claim a little. I like to call it "Shotgunning" :) Also, make sure the "Include Waivers" box is ticked when you do free agent searches. Good luck, it's a great game once you get into it.
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi welcome

Use the league team statistic page to benchmark your performance against your opponents, in particular those teams that promoted.

This will show you that your batting was OK (BA.263 was fourth in the league but you scored fewer runs than your opponents ; possibly down to your lower. SLG)

Your ERA of 4.96 ranks last in the league so is an issue that you must address.

Your fielding looks average but look more closely and you will find the infield needs some attention (lowest number of DP then check the FP for individual positions)

To strengthen, consider the following :
  • move or cut underperforming players. Don't dump them because they are old as they might have value as a relief pitcher or pinch-hitter in clutch situations. But lose them if their stats are awful.
  • Make sure you put players in the right defensive positions for their fielding attributes. In fielders all need fielding;2B needs range, 3B arm and SS both. Starters need stamina but there are good relievers to be had without (I personally don't like pitchers who lack control)
  • look at free agents on low wages to strengthen in your areas of weakness, also look for some to strengthen your minor league players
  • draft every week, you are looking for very good or good potential prospects
  • don't be afraid of giving your better minor leaguers some major league experience, definitely in spring training, this will help them develop
  • but make sure that minor leaguers are at the right level to receive benefit from training on the Friday update

Previous Page | Show All |