Help

Forum >> Help >> Minor League Stats   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm sure everyone has their own strategies. And really any stat can be useful. I look at quite a few. I'll just bucket them by how useful I think they are (my opinion only).

High Value
HR -> a good indicator; this usually translates into power at the next level, or the ability for a pitcher to prevent these

SB -> great indiator; this always translates into SB at the next level

CS -> good indicator of if their aggressiveness will need to be tuned

GB/FB -> this can change, but is still a strong indicator of how they will hit/pitch the ball at the next level

K -> Good indicator of their contact ability/ power pitching

BB -> Good indicator of their plate discipline / control

OPS -> great overall measure of offensive performance (at both minors and majors level)

OBP -> very useful at both minor and major level

vLHP/vRHP -> good indicator of platoon ability

vLHB/vRHP -> very valuable for LHS and RHS

FP -> good indicator of fielding ability at positions played. Will usually translate exactly to majors.

WHIP -> great indicator of pitching performance at both levels

Valuable
FIP -> can be useful to weed out some of the fielding effects in the minors. In the majors I find little value in FIP. A guy can give up 5 hits an innings and still have a low FIP.

2B/3B -> may help predict OPS at next level

DP -> may help predict DP contribution at next level. But there are so many factors and contributors in a DP.

Questionable
ST% -> This one probably is valuable. I don't pay much attention to it though.

ERA -> Not a bad stat, but not as useful as things like FIP and WHIP.

S/BS -> valuable at the major league level. But too much obscured at the minor league level. Blown Saves mean something very different for a MR than for a Closer. Without the context of how the pitcher is utilized in each game in the minors its hard to get much value.

SLG -> I think pales in comparison to OPS. But then why do I put OBP so high? I guess I think of this as the less important part of OPS. If you have OPS and OBP, this becomes irrelevant.

RISP -> Completely depends on your philosophy. Do you believe in clutch? If you do, then this probably has some value.

Doubtful
W/L -> this is really a team stat. I've always thought it was weird it is listed for pitchers only. I don't think its very valuable at minor or major league level.

E -> just look at FP. E is meaningless without innings.

AVG -> mostly trumped by OBP; AVG doesn't really tell you as much as OBP.

H/ER-> Nothing wrong with it, but its basically a less informative version of AVG/BAA/ERA that is meaningless outside of the context of ABs/BFs.

Runs -> I've always though that this says more about the quality of the guys batting behind this guy, than the guy himself.

G/AB/IP -> The more ABs the more trust you can have in the data. But doesn't tell much in itself.

Defensive innings -> same as ABs. High numbers mean more trust in stats, but doesn't tell much in itself.

GIDP and others -> numbers are too low to really glean anything.

Updated Saturday, November 21 2020 @ 7:41:04 am PST
todd

Wellington Phoenix
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks a lot Rock!
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a nice summary by Rock777.

I think the next level of analysis is figuring out which stats are lieing and which stats are telling the truth.

Is his ops depressed because of platoon splits? Aggressive placement? A patch of bad form? Suboptimal management settings?

Are there trends to the data? Is his gb:fb changing as he adds skill? Is his power dropping as placements get more difficult?

There's lots of detective work to be done. The addition of minor league games and stats was terrific, and really added to the depth and richness of the game.

Edit: a thousand curses on you spellcheck

Updated Sunday, November 22 2020 @ 7:20:26 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
What? No pushback on the value of FIP :)
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock, assuming the player plays the minors from rookie to AAA, what stat do you put more stock in when checking a players minor league stats, FIP or ERA? Could you explain why?

Updated Wednesday, November 25 2020 @ 10:17:13 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
FIP or ERA? Hmm... The answer is WHIP of course :)

Serious, I don't put a lot of stock in either FIP or ERA. If they are both high its bad. If they are both low its good, but WHIP is more telling at the end of the day. If a guy has a high FIP but a low ERA, then maybe he is good at not allowing hits. If a guy has a high ERA but low FIP, then maybe he has bad minor league defenses behind him (like guys training in positions they have no knowledge of).

Its all valuable clues for your detective work, but I put more stock in things like HR/IP and K/BB than FIP and ERA.

Updated Wednesday, November 25 2020 @ 11:24:14 am PST
todd

Wellington Phoenix
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
What is a decent K/BB ratio again please?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That really depends on other factors. I don't generally look at those in a vacuum, rather BB/AB and K/AB are a bit more telling. Then comparing those ratios.

For a pitcher it will depend a lot on the type of pitcher. If they are a fastball pitcher, then 3/1 ratio is good. If they are a control pitcher. then a 2/1 ratio can be very good. But these are just thumb in the wind numbers. I have plenty of guys on my team with ratios closer to 1/1 because other factors outweighed those factors.

Really, the best thing to do is look at a bunch of players at the LL-1, LL-2 level. See how guys perform, and decide what makes a good player for yourself.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
What? No pushback on the value of FIP :)

Hehe. Different teams value stats different ways. Astros and Reds really prioritize spin rate. Oakland was the (one of the?) first to emphasize GB:FB a few years back.

That said you have HRs allowed, BBs allowed and Ks all as top tier stats, but place FIP in the second tier. Seems a little arbitrary. :)

Edit: forgot italics

Updated Thursday, November 26 2020 @ 8:22:51 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Because Haverhill puts more weight on those stats ;)

Really I should have clarified K/IP or K/AB, because those numbers don't mean anything by themselves. That's kind of true of any stat that isn't a percentage.

For instance SB/(H+BB) is useful, rather than just raw SB.

Updated Thursday, November 26 2020 @ 8:30:30 am PST

Previous Page | Show All |