Help

Forum >> Help >> Players with a lot of dev to go   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I actually think Newtman's guy is the closest comparison. I think that would be a very reasonable expectation for your guy in two years.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Newtman's guy has more similar scouting. But he was a 19 yr old draft. I see a 23 yr draft from the Asian pool as more relevant when asking wall or no wall.

Not condemning him. Think he is decent risk-reward.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
True, but despite being an Asian draftee, he has gained 7 points already this year. He does that in the next two seasons and he will have 70 SI at 25 years old. That puts him squarely inline with Newtman's guy. The guy you showed is really more of an anomaly. That's why I think Newtman's guy is a better projection.

I am also not convinced that the perceived growth rate bias on Asians is actually real. Here is an example of an Asian player with a healthy growth rate (7/7/10). He might not make it given he started so low, but he is still developing as well as any of my other pitchers.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Personally, I'm a big fan of growth. I don't care what SI a guy is or how old he is, as long as he is gaining 7-10 SI a season he has a chance of being good.
el_jefe_loco

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks all for the input and examples. I will see how far along he is during his age 25 season before deciding when to call him up.

@newtman - did you receive the green light from scouting that Andujar was ready for the majors? Or did you call him up before the scouting report said he was ready?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I am also not convinced that the perceived growth rate bias on Asians is actually real.

Certainly not saying the pool is doomed. I do feel there is higher risk.

The connection I am trying to make is between the 25 year boot and poor experience gains. The Asian and Latin pools can both dump late season 23 year olds into rookie or A ball. The boot is more frequent than other pools, and the distance of the boot is larger (North American players that don't make it are often in AAA).

Can you find a North American version of Saito? It appears he was handled correctly, and missed by 25 SI. The biggest NA miss I see (ironically) is Newtman's
Burke. But he missed by half as much, and added twice as much SI through XP. Significantly better than Saito.

Burke is an interesting case though. Would be curious to know what his draft numbers were like. His most obvious miss is velocity. Was it crazy low to begin with and made a valiant effort to reach its cap? Or did it turtle as he trained / gained experience?
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm fine with the anti-Asian bias. More for me :p

I love drafting Asian players and get better results from that pool than say college by far.
jdick1990

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a guy, Jun Li, who is an interesting case study of a high pot, older Asian player.

He was drafted in the last draft 4 seasons ago, which hurt him somewhat i feel. I kept him in the minors during his age 25 season and got a decent (9 SI) gain from it. Had him up to begin this season and got him plenty of innings and he popped by 15 SI.

I sent him back down about halfway through the season, as I needed to go down to basically a 3.5 man rotation so that I could make a push to not demote from II.2 (which has so far worked very well btw), and he has popped a few SI since.

I do not believe he will ever reach his 120-127SI potential, but I plan on having him back up next season and he should get a good amount of innings. I'm hoping that he can fill out another 25 SI or so and be a decent back end of the rotation/solid LR guy, but I do feel like that is asking for alot of development from a player who will be 27 to start the season. Certainly the most entertaining/difficult to handle/difficult to project prospect I have ever had.

Updated Wednesday, October 28 2015 @ 10:25:15 am PDT

Updated Wednesday, October 28 2015 @ 10:27:07 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It will be interesting to see what happens next year. From an innings perspective I would expect him to have a big SI gain, but from an age perspective who knows. And then again some guys stop growing after just one season in the majors...
Balbinjj

Appleton Foxes
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That makes this game very realistic and exciting. :)

Previous Page | Show All |