Announcements

Forum >> Announcements >> Power Index   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure PI is really a measure toughness. More a measure of draft luck. Teams with more luck will have higher SI totals (and thus higher PI), but toughness is more about how your competitors use their players than just having the players on the team.

SI totals (even weighted) are never going to be a perfect measure of team strength. Team composition, lineup synergies, platoon usage, bullpen strategy, management settings; there are a lot of factors in team strength.

But never mind all that foolishness I just spouted. I encourage everyone to consider Haverhill to be no threat, and plan around other competition instead ;)

I'm super impressed there is a LL-III team below 100. It will be interesting to see how well they fare this season. (Not counting Saco since it was a total rebuild but they do have a winning record in II.1 so far).

BTW, II.1 is dragged down by the two tear down (HurDerp temper tantrum) teams in addition to Haverhill, if folks are wondering why the PI for II.1 was so low.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Another interesting tidbit, despite an overpowering PI in III.2, Steve's team is ranked almost as low as Haverhill...

Coincidence, or is Steve hiding his true strength :p ;)
atomic

Sunnyvale Rebels
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I know it's not really showing toughness, but it's also not showing draft luck. It's just about SI and this can be very misleading. It should be more about how the skill points are distributed. Which combination is more perfect according to match engine?

I have at least 3 questionable guys on my roster which have very nice looking SI but in the end they suck at bat...

https://brokenbat.org/player/238899
https://brokenbat.org/player/256527
https://brokenbat.org/player/251462
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it is weighted, but you make a good point. I've cut POT 14s off my team that I didn't feel had any value. Surely has lowered my PI, but I would assert has raised my teams toughness ;)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Dang, we're down to 99.4 today. Guess that's what happens when you swap in rookies for Cup games.
Jimmy W

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Happy New Year guys!

Here’s hoping that you and yours have a fab and healthy 2022

Steve is there a way to work out the.basics/formula of the ‘power index’ please?

As I’ve tried. Couple of ways and don’t quite ‘get it’?

Unless of course that’s by design in which case no worries, I’ll stop wracking my brain - lol!

Many thanks for a great distraction from the daily toil and long May BB continue!

Cheers

Jim 😎

Updated Saturday, January 1 2022 @ 3:32:17 am PST
lmartins6746

Asheville Aces
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
Seems to just be the average SI of your big league roster.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
It's a weighted average of the big league players.

There are two components - players and pitchers which are added together. Each group is ranked in descending order of SI and multiplied by the following weighting:

Pitchers = 1st-3rd *1.0, 4th-5th *0.8, 6th-7th *0.6, 8th-9th *0.4, 10th-11th *0.2

Players = 1st-5th *1.0, 6th-10th *.67, 11th-15th * 0.33.

Then the sum is divided by 17 (the sum of all the weighting) -- normalizing the result to the standard SI scale.

Steve
Jerbeetwo

Tyler Goldendoodles
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@Steve
How often does the Power Index get updated? Does it get updated with each team’s player transactions as long as that transaction affects the rating?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it might be a Friday thing.

Previous Page | Show All |