Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Idea: Winter Tryouts.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 After setting up their organization’s draft boards, what do our hard working Broken Bat scouts do for the second half of the season? Perhaps they’re scouring the Wooden Bat summer Leagues, Independent Leagues, tavern leagues, college players who’ve run out of eligibility and young unknowns that somehow slipped through the cracks and assembling them together at open tryouts.

The BB Chat Braintrust™ — a group of team owners who have informal semi-regular meetings in Broken Bat’s chat — had an idea to bring this real life source of players to Broken Bat during the dead part of the season between the trade deadline and the start of Spring Training using a mechanic that’s more strategic than the one used for the BB draft. Here is the current proposal:

Winter Tryouts would consist of a pool of 1,000 players ranging in age from 16-40, with details of each player’s details being revealed over a course of five days until you have the full scoop on them (or at least insofar as you can have the full scoop on someone with no official games under their belt). The proposed progression of details revealed by day is as follows:

» 1st Day - Name, age, height, weight.
» 2nd Day - Natural position, bats/throws.
» 3rd Day - Attributes & SI.
» 4th Day - Standard draft scouting report.
» 5th Day - POT.

This process would start on the first Friday after the close of the free agent market. Each team can select one (and only one) player from this pool at any time after it opens. The player would be added to the team's roster immediately. Any players not selected by the opening of free agency the following season would either be flushed from the system or added to the free agency pool.

The main ideas of this proposal are to give teams an extra option for acquiring a player in addition to free agency and the draft, and to give team owners something to do during a notoriously dead portion of the season besides twiddling their thumbs. Picking early would be a gamble, but picking late might mean that the player you had your eye on earlier has already been snapped up by someone else. A certain amount of staring contest strategy would be involved in finding just the right player for your team. Do you snag that 16-year-old on Day 1 and risk getting an 8 POT player, or do you hold off until you have a few fully scouted players before grabbing that 36-year-old who’s still packing 99 SI in just the right attributes to lead your team to that glorious season you’ve been waiting for?

Updated Wednesday, February 8 2017 @ 5:10:12 am PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a fun idea. The thing is all but a few of the guys should completely suck. The handful that don't shouldn't be anything more than a AAAA (intentional) player or someone that has the potential to be one. In my opinion, their top-out should be around 90 for a pitcher and 95 for a position player. If they were any better, they should be in the draft pool. As a result, that would be much ado about nothing and a waste of Steve's precious time.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Not necessarily, Mike. We're talking about kids who may have been home-schooled or played a different sport in high school, older players who may have played another sport professionally after playing in high school or college and have decided to switch back to baseball. There are plenty of real life examples of older pitchers who've made an impact in the majors late in life. The movie The Rookie comes to mind.

Even with realism in mind, I don't see any reason to cap the talent level. Just looking at it from a Broken Bat perspective, it would add one more possible player to your roster in an era were we both know waivers are falling short of doing the job they're intended to do. The draft is only reliable for rounds 1-4 or so. That's a long stretch with nothing to look forward to once waivers do close and the draft begins to peter out.

Trades aren't coming through that door. We need another avenue to acquire players. This seems like one that would have few negative side effects.

JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm a fan, I agree that there should perhaps be a lower than normal chance of the player turning out to be good - maybe a 20% chance of them being useful? But as another way of adding a bit of fun to the dead part of the season, its a big thumbs up for me.
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Knowing it would take time and effort from Steve, I generally like the idea but do have the following concerns:
I don't think anyone over 30 would be picked, let alone 35 or 40. High cap of 28-30 years old.
Don't think anyone under 20? or 22? should be included as the regular draft would include most under this age range.
I see this as more of a try out camp for wannabees or a potential 2 sport star moving from their primary sport such as Deon Sanders, Bo Jackson, Brian Sanders, Michael Jordan, Gene Conley. Even players who opted not to play or did not get drafted for their college sport like Dave Winfield, Tony Gwynn. Maybe other two sport starts like Walter Ray Williams and The Rock.
Though 1000 seems like a good number, as one for each team, with a few extra.
I do not like the pool being first come, first serve, even though not much is divulged initially, though day 3 would prob. bring a herd banging on Windows, but more concerned for those who don't log in the first day or so. If it starts on the Friday after FAs/waivers close, if someone doesn't log on till Sun. do they start with just personal info or go straight to attributes and SI? Would kinda force everyone to log in by day 2
Maybe a mini pool similar to each draft pool comprising of 3?/5? players for each team to choose from.
Training and experience could still be gained by most players similar to current players but at an accelerated rate for some?
Even with usual 20% variance on SI, the POT should be the same if not smaller ratio than currently used for draft pools
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Gizmo's idea +1
Jren7

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 gizmo
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
How is this different that just another round of draftees with a refreshed pool?

Steve
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, I think it would differ from the current draft system in a few ways, Steve.

1) With the tryouts, outcomes would be determined by the player. In the draft, outcomes are determined by dice rolls by an RNG.

2) There would be a mix of veterans and prospects in the tryout pool allowing owners to fill needs based on their team's unique circumstances. Challenging for a pennant? A 30 year old reliever might put you over the top. Staring relegation in the face? A talented teenager might make the future a little brighter. The draft is the opposite. You take what the draft gives you and try to mold your philosophy around those players.

3) Again, depending on how the player wants to use his or her time, this would/could be a daily activity whereas most major activities in the game (including the draft) are weekly.

4) The draft (and waivers) is/are stronger at the beginning of the season than the end. Tryouts would balance that out by being fresh at the end of the season.

5) In the draft, you only get to see the fraction of the pool that the RNG presents to you. With the tryouts, the entire pool is open to being scouted immediately.

All those points aside, the beating heart of this idea is to inject some fun and interest during a part of the season where many owners (myself included this season) have no reason to keep showing up after waivers close. The league finish is all but decided, the draft is petering out and waivers are no longer available. Why would a game be content to have a sizable chunk of it's player-base with no real motivation for showing up for a third of the season?
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
There are plenty of teams out there that sign FA 30 yo+ guys. If you are in a lower league, new to the game, or have a weak spot on your club, 1 year of that guy can put you over the top. We've all done it.

While I love this game, it desperately needs something more on the player acquisition side. We rely on luck in the draft and the waiver system is just a lottery, why not add one more chance? Would one more grab really be a bad thing?

If you grab early and end up with a dud, are you really out anything? What if you wait one more week and find the stud? I think the staring contest between owners on when to make their choice would be a lot of fun!

Nearly everyone is just sitting around waiting for the season to end. Something to do would be a fantastic add. Should I take a chance on that 18yo SS now? Should I wait for his scouting report? Agh but I really need a power-hitting corner outfielder who is ML ready! Did I wait too long?!?!

Love it.

Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I do not like the pool being first come, first serve, even though not much is divulged initially, though day 3 would prob. bring a herd banging on Windows, but more concerned for those who don't log in the first day or so.

Just to be clear on the mechanics, each team would pick a single player to scout. You would only be able to scout once per day. It would take five days to fully scout any one player. You could scout a player on day one, see that he's to old or too young and decide to scout a different player on day two. In that scenario, only those two players would have any information revealed. The rest of the pool of players would remain blank to you.

You could choose to continue scouting players from the pool until the last day the tryouts are open stacking up a nice pile of fully scouted players to choose from. However, the pressure to pull the trigger on one of them would begin to mount as players are scouted and signed by other teams. That's the staring contest part of the idea. The longer you hold out and continue scouting, the broader choice you will have until a tipping point is reached where your scouted players start disappearing as other teams sign them.

[EDIT]: As a bit of strategy built into the mechanic, veteran players would only need three days of scouting to reveal everything you would likely need to know about them before deciding if they're worth signing making their cost/benefit a bit more on par with that of the prospects that would be in the pool.

Updated Thursday, February 9 2017 @ 6:42:50 am PST
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
^^^^That actually makes it sound like an even better idea.

I like adding the scouting aspect to the game. We'll be more like real GM's, more like real baseball franchises. The scouting actually enhances the chance to actually add a quality player and at a position of need, instead of just having to roll with what the program spits out at us on draft day.

The fact that we would have a choice in the direction of what position we scout is a fantastic idea.

How can you be against more fun?!?!

Updated Thursday, February 9 2017 @ 6:14:18 am PST
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Really like it. Anything that adds a twist to player acquisition. Also would there be anything like an overpaid 10 million dollar veteran in there.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Well its certainly a neat idea but I'm not convinced there's a real need for it, and it sure sounds like a lot of work for very little gain. I mean, say 750 of the 1000 players in the pool get signed (which is unlikely), what is your percentage of useful players likely to be? 5%? 10%? Say that actually works out at 4-8% uptake. Is that really worth it?

The whole point of the 'dead' part of the season (and its never 'dead' for me, there are pretty much always lineup and pitching changes to make if you want to maximise output and/or growth) is making do with what you have, and salivating over the free agents that have been made available since the cut-off that you can place claims on as soon as the season flip arrives.

I have no problem with the player acquisition system. I throw out tons of waiver claims and check free agency almost daily: sometimes you get lucky, more usually you don't. But I'll take that over trading - and anything else - any day.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Well its certainly a neat idea but I'm not convinced there's a real need for it, and it sure sounds like a lot of work for very little gain. I mean, say 750 of the 1000 players in the pool get signed (which is unlikely), what is your percentage of useful players likely to be? 5%? 10%? Say that actually works out at 4-8% uptake. Is that really worth it?

You literally just described the waiver system. Thousands of players, very, very few that can make a difference. Most are just roster fillers.

...and salivating over the free agents that have been made available since the cut-off that you can place claims on as soon as the season flip arrives.

And now you can salivate over a new list of guys! And if you put your "claim" in early, you have a much better chance of getting that player than by claiming the inevitable 100+ claim guy after the flip! You've increased your odds!

I have no problem with the player acquisition system. I throw out tons of waiver claims and check free agency almost daily: sometimes you get lucky, more usually you don't.

And this is the same thing. One more game of chance on getting a player sounds like fun!

If there's even the slightest increase of odds that I can get a player to help out my club, I'm all for it. Right now, there are two games of luck. I'm all for one more.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
In a game that posits the idea that there are 756 big league teams in the U.S. (which would require something like 100 times our current population to sustain) as well as dozens of Miguel Cabreras and dozens of Clayton Kershaws, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to make the tryout pool talent distribution on par with that of any of the draft pools.

In the BB universe, there is an abundance of talent at all levels many times that which exists in the real world. It would follow that players showing up for tryouts would be more numerous and more talented than a real life tryout would be likely to showcase.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it's creative, but I still don't like it. There's also an ability to cheat the system. All you need is a group like the trademarked Braintrust to collude and share information with each other to gain an advantage. Sorry, I'm against it.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
There still needs to be something else other than waivers and draft. With the much bigger user base than we used to have, BrokenBat HAS changed. Waivers is nearly all washed up players used to back fill our rosters since there are far fewer AI clubs releasing decent players.

Nobody is going out building through waivers anymore and if you do, it's going to be an awful average club. The draft is too random. If in the first four weeks you get a few bad draws, it sets your entire franchise back since you won't have any worthy replacements (with more players means the draft isn't as deep anymore, either). Then you're back-filling with cast-offs and the process starts all over again, while you just try to maintain you position, not moving anywhere.

It's great there are so many new and returning players active in the game. But with that has come parity. Everyone is now just spinning in place with so many teams all of equal strength. How do you strengthen your weaknesses? A lucky draw? An old cast-off?

There needs to be something new since the game has changed. Even as small as being able to decide which position you want to draft is a good start.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I actually really like the idea as described by Haselrig. I really hate waivers right now having finally won a guy like Sexton this season and he ended up playing so terribly that I had to cut him. The draft gods are how I got promoted several seasons back, but they have turned against me recently so my current minor league system is very dry compared to the past. Yeah, there is more chance involved, but having a greater measure of actual scouting involved versus RNG luck would be a welcome change in my opinion.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There still needs to be something else other than waivers and draft.
I completely disagree. The draft and waivers are and should always be the bread and butter of player acquisition. Fix them and quit worrying about trying to come up with another way to get players.

Waivers is nearly all washed up players used to back fill our rosters.
Nope. My waivers luck has been horrific over the last few seasons, but during that time I've gotten:
(a) McKee. He's 28 now, one of my best hitters, and had ZERO claims on him other than by me.
(b) Brooks. He's also 28 now, has an 18 arm guy and has thrown out a third of would-be-stealers while learning the catching position and has an OPS over 700. He only had 3 claims on him.
(c) Bannon. My luckiest grab of the last four seasons. He had 38 claims on him. He's sub-par with the bat, but has a nice 16/18/10 defense, allowing him to roam the middle of my infield.

Quality guys are still out there. You just have to keep plugging away. I think the process could still be improved considerably, but there is talent in the pool.

The draft is too random.
I AGREE 100 PERCENT!!! Improve the draft and make the game considerably better.

I actually really like the idea as described by Haselrig...having a greater measure of actual scouting involved versus RNG luck would be a welcome change in my opinion.
I agree with the final statement, but why in the world apply that to one low-quality winter tryout player instead of the draft where it belongs??

Updated Friday, February 10 2017 @ 8:18:52 am PST
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
My assumption is the majority??? (at least some of us) of the human managers that have been around for more than several seasons agree that the draft could use some tweaking.

Personally I think the draft is just too luck oriented. In real life sports the great teams are usually the ones with superb scouting departments. Unless you have a 200+ million dollar payroll.

While I agree with Mike that there are still decent players on the waiver wire IF your persistent in your daily combing. But it's absolutely not what it was 10 seasons ago. And it's NOT going to improve like it is. And I think it's not possible for any team to subsist off of poor drafting and waivers. If you have poor drafting and do not have great luck in waivers it's very unlikely you'll be competitive in the top leagues. It's been reiterated more than several times, if you draft poorly for several seasons most all of the time you will struggle sometime in the future. Unless of course, You get really lucky in the waiver competition. HIGHLY UNLIKELY!
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm with Mike. If you want to bring less randomization and better scouting to the draft I'm all for it, but that's it for me.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I wasn't interested and haven't been following this thread, so I won't comment on the basic idea. One thing I will point out, is that many people don't seem to grasp the concept of inflation. If you add more "good" players to the game, then the definition of "good" changes. Same if you take "good" players away. The concept that there are not enough "good" players is completely flawed because good is relative and the balance scales.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This game is more about figuring out the right players to cut, rather than the right players to acquire. Sign whoever you can, and then weed out the worst and keep the best. Rinse and repeat.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the key idea of this post is being neglected - this game is about fun, and I don't think anyone can deny that this portion of the season is definitely a touch slower for the vast majority of players who aren't fighting for promotion or relegation.

In saying that, when waivers closed, I could've used a RHP in my 'pen as I was still technically in a promotion fight, and the chance to grab even an 11 pot with a plus pitch from this idea would've been a bit of fun.

Rock's got a good point with the inflation argument, I've long said that 12 pot guys are undervalued, and now their value is starting to be recognised a little more - BUT, this proposal is more about injecting a bit of fun, as opposed to a fix for waivers, the draft and perhaps even realism.

For the record, I have no issue with the waiver or draft system, but I'm all for this proposal just to add to the fun factor a bit more.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
In answer to Mike's 'cheating' theory - I think that's easily negated - something like blanking the names, and giving each team a unique pool to choose from - maybe somewhere between 10 and 30 players, so each team is only looking at whats available to them, and there's no chance of being able to compare players between teams.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
To Mike's collusion worries (and trust me this is more work than I'd like to be putting into this idea without some indication that it could go somewhere). Maybe a visual aid would help:

Tryout.png

A thousand players would be arranged randomly on a page with all their particulars as question marks. No name, no rank, no serial number. Say I pick the 356th guy and after a few days scouting I find he's a 31 year old P with a good fastball. Not what I'm looking for, but in our villainous pre-arranged deal that you and I concocted in a back alley somewhere, I know that's exactly what you were looking for. I'm willing to offer up the P I found if you find me a reasonably talented teenager which, lo and behold, happens to be exactly what you found at the 217th position. Our nefarious scheme is on.

You're seriously going to count down 356 lines of an unnumbered spreadsheet to find that guy? With complete confidence that you didn't miss a line or two along the way? More power to you.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You could work out the kinks to make it more difficult to share info (like make the first reveal age only; I don't think height or weight factors into the game), but I don't think you could eliminate info sharing completely.

I just mentioned that as an aside anyway. I don't like the idea because I don't think it would improve the game.

I believe all ideas like this, though, are merely exercises of the mind. I'm convinced the draft will never be noticeably different than what it is. It's horrible, but we have to live with it. There will never be anything like trades. Our only hope is to fight it out regarding waivers. In my opinion, that's the only thing I think has a chance of decent modification as far as player acquisition. In fact, I wish there was a moratorium on all suggestions that didn't have to do with basic play, like the numerous settings and in-game logic that could make the game substantially better. Most of those aren't controversial and could have almost universal support. It's tough to argue against having improved control over your team on the field. Why not focus on things like that?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I believe all ideas like this, though, are merely exercises of the mind.

Of course they are, but instead of bitching about the current state of the game, some people channel that energy in a more constructive manner knowing full well nothing will ever come of it. At least we tried.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
The draft and waivers are and should always be the bread and butter of player acquisition.

We’re talking about a way to add one player to the roster after the free agent market closes up shop for the season. Just one. That’s barely even nibbling at the crust of the bread-and-butter. The main point of this is, as was said in the initial post and which JJ recently pointed out, giving team owners a reason to login after in-game September 1 except for Fridays to see if anyone needs promoted. This is probably the time of year where players are most likely to drift away from the game and sorta forget to drift back to it after the flip, and the idea is being offered as a way to keep players’ attentions longer.

As far as collusion goes, if you can prove to me with absolute certainty that MLB teams don’t share scouting information at any level under any circumstances, I’ll eat my chair — seat cover with embedded cat fur and all. And before you start digging into your research on the matter, take a second to consider some of the convoluted three-way deals involving minor leaguers. If none of those came about from conversations that started with something like, “If you’re looking for a {player type}, we need a {other player type} like you’ve got, and {third team} has {player type} I don’t know if you know much about,” I’ll eat my desk, too.

When you get right down to it, this collusion (which is unlikely to happen simply on the grounds that the proposal is being shot down too much to be implemented) isn’t really all that different than the Broken Bat Scouting Network — which you supported in your last post in the thread. It still boils down to cooperation between multiple players in an attempt to both improve teams and the experience of playing Broken Bat.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
First of all, relax. When someone doesn’t love an idea, the originator often acts as if their child, mother and spouse were insulted. Heck, I even commended this thread’s proposal for its creativity, but you still got your panties in a wad. Sue me for not liking it.

Comparing a group colluding to the defunct BBSN is absurd. The BBSN displayed its information for everyone to see. Furthermore, all of the information was readily available anyway.

Regarding the slow period of the BB season, I happen to enjoy the fact that I can take a breather for a couple weeks, especially when my team stinks.

I guess I wasn’t clear about my bread-and-butter point, so I’ll try again using a different analogy. If your clothes washer is broken, do you buy more expensive dryer sheets to get a better result for your laundry? No, you fix the washer. The proposal herein doesn’t deal with the root of the problem. It attempts to mask the problem with a fresh scent at the end of the cycle without actually improving anything. I’m not interested, especially considering the amount of time and energy it would require.

Haselrig, if you want to continue channeling energies, auras and anything else you have, go right ahead. If you read all of my post, instead of just becoming defensive, you will see I recommended focusing on things about BB that might be able to be influenced/changed in a positive way. Go forth and twist that however you want.

Updated Saturday, February 11 2017 @ 4:47:11 am PST
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think AP's last post was a good capper to this thread.

Here's a final thought for you before we move on, though. If you have ideas regarding settings and in-game logic, post them. I think you'll discover just how much thought needs to go into one of these suggestions. You just might think twice before dismissing them out of hand next time.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If the main reason for doing this is to prevent waivers from closing, the easiest solution would simply be to not close waivers. In real life there is no close of waivers/FA. Players added to the roster after August 31 just can't be used in postseason play.
Deuce

New London Rippers
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I've just got to say that i love BB just the way it is. I'm all for slight improvements and tweaks but the simplicity of this game and the fact that there's no trading or crazy colluding is a joy. This game currently takes a lot of patience and a little luck to turn a team around or to stay on top..love the way it works.
Sorry if it's a little of topic but i just wan't to get a plug in for the game as it is..and did we forget it's free!!

Updated Saturday, February 11 2017 @ 9:55:14 am PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think Rock may be on to something there. The simplicity of a clean waiver stoppage for the season is a good thing. Pushing it back to September 15 might be a decent alternative, though. It seems as if that would maintain the integrity of the roster for the playoffs, while shortening the dead period by five real world days. Another benefit to that would be that we could draft one more guy before the deadline.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Listen, guys, I understand you feel it's your job to protect the status quo from radical bomb-throwers trying to rock the boat, but none of these suggestions ever makes it into the game. I've been making suggestions on this forum since the first week I started playing Broken Bat. Not one has ever made it. I know of what I speak.

Extending waivers would actually upset the status quo more than the try-out idea without out ever addressing any of the things try-outs seeks to accomplish. What happens when you remove the early season waiver feeding frenzy from the game? Does the game improve with that change?

Your idea boils down to: "Waivers suck, let's have more waivers". No. If you want to fix waivers, go back and find a suggestion by a fresh-faced young Turk named Seca (whatever happened to that guy). His was the fix waivers needed, but (and feel free to say it with me kids) none of these ever makes it into the game.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Lmao. Sour Grapes, so predictable.

From the original post...

The main ideas of this proposal are to give teams an extra option for acquiring a player in addition to free agency and the draft, and to give team owners something to do during a notoriously dead portion of the season besides twiddling their thumbs.

Extending waivers for five days (or however long) addresses the part I put in bold from the proposal.
It also would have virtually no impact on the spring waiver frenzy. Nice try.

I'm not sure what idea you're referring to that originated from Seca. Every once in awhile old ideas can be brought up again to see what people think due to the new climate. Open it up again if you think it's appropriate.

By the way, what happened to the person from a few hours ago who was advocating for people to come up with ways to improve the game instead of bitching about the current conditions?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
and to give team owners something to do during a notoriously dead portion of the season besides twiddling their thumbs

Exactly. What does putting in more waiver claims on guys you won't get and (since the bulk of available waivers at this point of the season would come from rounds 9 and 10 of the draft) won't want do for the thumb twiddling problem?

Seca's idea:

By the way, what happened to the person from a few hours ago who was advocating for people to come up with ways to improve the game instead of bitching about the current conditions?

Yeah, in your own thread. Not by side-tracking the OP's thread about something completely unrelated.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
First of all, I expounded on Rock's suggestion/comment. Give credit where credit is due. I didn't come up with the idea of extending the waiver period.

That is completely related, by the way, to the original suggestion. How you think adding days where you could still claim guys wouldn't be reducing the dead period is laughable.

To Seca's idea from a couple years ago, that has had many reiterations. I was somewhat on the fence originally, even leaning against it, but that was then and this is now. I've stated elsewhere many times I'm in favor of a tiered system for waivers. (Before you claim I'm trying to derail this thread again, I'll point out that you brought up Seca's idea.)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In real life they never close. You just can't use those guys acquired after August in the playoffs. One option would be to keep it open until the playoffs, and add code that pushes down to AAA (and prevents promoting) any player who was acquired in September or October. That would eliminate the "dead period" that the OP was concerned about. You can instead start rebuilding your team for next year.

Although personally I think the system is working fine as is. And appreciate having a little break from waivers.

Updated Sunday, February 12 2017 @ 9:15:04 am PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So you're essentially allowing free agent minor leaguers to be signed after Sept 1st?

Does that mean all players would be available (and would have to remain in AAA) or only players still on a minor league contract?

Steve
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you want to do waivers, do what Buzzerbeater did to the transfer list. Prior to the last game of the season (so the last series), any players purchased from the TL were not playoff eligible. Basically the game treats them as if they are injured once the playoffs start.

I personally don't like it that much, it will decimate the offseason talent pool in waivers and make that time of the season far less fun. I think the main reason i'd want to see waivers extended is that I'd want teams that aren't as good to be fixed by new owners seeking to get rid of cap. It's hard for those teams that come in after the waiver deadline to do so.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Personally newt had the best idea. Scouting for draft could use to be tweaked a little bit. Maybe have the pot shown. A real life scout would have an idea what kind of potential a player has. Don't reveal the stats. Still those random. That you could pick that 14pot and then see the stats and say crap the build isn't right for what I need. We all see owners cut 14pot for this reason. And this would allow for owners to increase their chances for getting the best players for their teams in the draft.
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve

Yes that is how it is in real life

Minor leaguers who get signed after Sep. 1 have to stay in the minors.

Oh wait, I forgot, its u can trade after trade deadline but those players have to stay in minors but since there r no trades we could use this

Updated Monday, February 13 2017 @ 8:40:39 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not advocating for it. I think things are fine as is.

But in real life you can claim any player (even major leaguers), they can play through the rest of the season, they just can't play in the playoffs. Locking them to AAA after the season would be fine. But normally they would be able to play out all of the regular season in the majors.

Updated Monday, February 13 2017 @ 9:19:33 pm PST

Previous Page | Show Page |