Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Idea: Winter Tryouts.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Listen, guys, I understand you feel it's your job to protect the status quo from radical bomb-throwers trying to rock the boat, but none of these suggestions ever makes it into the game. I've been making suggestions on this forum since the first week I started playing Broken Bat. Not one has ever made it. I know of what I speak.

Extending waivers would actually upset the status quo more than the try-out idea without out ever addressing any of the things try-outs seeks to accomplish. What happens when you remove the early season waiver feeding frenzy from the game? Does the game improve with that change?

Your idea boils down to: "Waivers suck, let's have more waivers". No. If you want to fix waivers, go back and find a suggestion by a fresh-faced young Turk named Seca (whatever happened to that guy). His was the fix waivers needed, but (and feel free to say it with me kids) none of these ever makes it into the game.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Lmao. Sour Grapes, so predictable.

From the original post...

The main ideas of this proposal are to give teams an extra option for acquiring a player in addition to free agency and the draft, and to give team owners something to do during a notoriously dead portion of the season besides twiddling their thumbs.

Extending waivers for five days (or however long) addresses the part I put in bold from the proposal.
It also would have virtually no impact on the spring waiver frenzy. Nice try.

I'm not sure what idea you're referring to that originated from Seca. Every once in awhile old ideas can be brought up again to see what people think due to the new climate. Open it up again if you think it's appropriate.

By the way, what happened to the person from a few hours ago who was advocating for people to come up with ways to improve the game instead of bitching about the current conditions?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
and to give team owners something to do during a notoriously dead portion of the season besides twiddling their thumbs

Exactly. What does putting in more waiver claims on guys you won't get and (since the bulk of available waivers at this point of the season would come from rounds 9 and 10 of the draft) won't want do for the thumb twiddling problem?

Seca's idea:

By the way, what happened to the person from a few hours ago who was advocating for people to come up with ways to improve the game instead of bitching about the current conditions?

Yeah, in your own thread. Not by side-tracking the OP's thread about something completely unrelated.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
First of all, I expounded on Rock's suggestion/comment. Give credit where credit is due. I didn't come up with the idea of extending the waiver period.

That is completely related, by the way, to the original suggestion. How you think adding days where you could still claim guys wouldn't be reducing the dead period is laughable.

To Seca's idea from a couple years ago, that has had many reiterations. I was somewhat on the fence originally, even leaning against it, but that was then and this is now. I've stated elsewhere many times I'm in favor of a tiered system for waivers. (Before you claim I'm trying to derail this thread again, I'll point out that you brought up Seca's idea.)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
In real life they never close. You just can't use those guys acquired after August in the playoffs. One option would be to keep it open until the playoffs, and add code that pushes down to AAA (and prevents promoting) any player who was acquired in September or October. That would eliminate the "dead period" that the OP was concerned about. You can instead start rebuilding your team for next year.

Although personally I think the system is working fine as is. And appreciate having a little break from waivers.

Updated Sunday, February 12 2017 @ 9:15:04 am PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So you're essentially allowing free agent minor leaguers to be signed after Sept 1st?

Does that mean all players would be available (and would have to remain in AAA) or only players still on a minor league contract?

Steve
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you want to do waivers, do what Buzzerbeater did to the transfer list. Prior to the last game of the season (so the last series), any players purchased from the TL were not playoff eligible. Basically the game treats them as if they are injured once the playoffs start.

I personally don't like it that much, it will decimate the offseason talent pool in waivers and make that time of the season far less fun. I think the main reason i'd want to see waivers extended is that I'd want teams that aren't as good to be fixed by new owners seeking to get rid of cap. It's hard for those teams that come in after the waiver deadline to do so.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Personally newt had the best idea. Scouting for draft could use to be tweaked a little bit. Maybe have the pot shown. A real life scout would have an idea what kind of potential a player has. Don't reveal the stats. Still those random. That you could pick that 14pot and then see the stats and say crap the build isn't right for what I need. We all see owners cut 14pot for this reason. And this would allow for owners to increase their chances for getting the best players for their teams in the draft.
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve

Yes that is how it is in real life

Minor leaguers who get signed after Sep. 1 have to stay in the minors.

Oh wait, I forgot, its u can trade after trade deadline but those players have to stay in minors but since there r no trades we could use this

Updated Monday, February 13 2017 @ 8:40:39 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not advocating for it. I think things are fine as is.

But in real life you can claim any player (even major leaguers), they can play through the rest of the season, they just can't play in the playoffs. Locking them to AAA after the season would be fine. But normally they would be able to play out all of the regular season in the majors.

Updated Monday, February 13 2017 @ 9:19:33 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |