Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Team disparity concerns   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
OTT9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Something is bugging me about the game. Not a design flaw by any means but it's an observation that I wanted to point out...

Where's the disparity between top league teams and low league teams?

I was comparing this team I just acquired in division V (coming off a 90-70 season in division VI as a bot team), to the Legends league champions, Bay City (96-64 regular season ). Logically, his team, being 4 divisions higher than mine, should be leaps and bounds better. The reality?

Well, yes, his team is quite a bit better, especially in the pitching bullpen. But 4 divisions better? Not at first glance. I don't know much about this game so far but my 'online manager instinct' tells me that if his team is .600 in the top division, a division V-VI team probably shouldn't have any players with a skill index above 100.

If I understand correctly, in baseball it's usually easier for the inferior team to pull off an upset than it is in other sports, and that's why I'm not really complaining. But it just seems weird to me that I, a noob, inherited a team whose best 9 position players are only an average of 7-8 skill points worse than the champions best 9 (yes I actually calculated it)... though to be fair I also got given poor pitching depth.
tetrahydroc

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
well most top division teams have full rosters of guys over 100 si, as you go lower most teams cant afford that. you being a lower tier team as i am can only afford so many 1mill + salary players a a year or it will put us into debt whereas the higher tier teams make alo more in income and can financially support having a lineup that consists of 110 si players around the board, also pitching is big there arent alot of great pitching prospects out there, the only way to really improve your staff is through the draft, and it may take multiple seasons before those players actually contribute to your team. therefore there is actually a bigger gap between you and the top league team then you think
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
In general, you are right that there is more parity among baseball teams. That’s why in baseball, every match-up is a series and the season is so long (in terms of number of game). Over a season, I think you’d fine that the top league teams are significantly better than in the lower leagues. That said, I think in a cup series, a lower league team is still capable of defeating a top team.

In terms of SI, it’s quite a bit different than a total combined skill index in many other games (where it is an exact measure). There is a measure of uncertainty in scouted skill values (especially in younger players), so I would guess that top teams tend to have 100 SI guys that perform at that level or above. Where as a random, new team may have some 100 SI guys that are misevaluated and might perform lower than that level.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |