Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Jay Lombardi: To release or not release?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
DANGLESNIPECEL9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So my closer Jay Lombardi is currently earning $3.70M and struggling heavily. My team isn't horrible but I don't really expect to make the playoffs so I'm considering releasing him and saving myself the cash for what I'll call a re-tooling period instead of rebuild. Thoughts?
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
He'll probably still be useful for another season or two - is he set to 9th innings only? Give him a short leash so he can be used when needed but gives your younger guys more opportunities if you aren't in it this season. Unless of course your finances are really an issue then probably cut him loose - you have Hendricks ready to come up although I personally am not a fan of his build at all.
DANGLESNIPECEL9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Definitely not a fan of his make up either. But unfortunately our pitching depth and prospect pool isn't exactly deep. I have a lot of minor league OF to sort out so I can start to draft just pitching.

As for Lombardi I think I have at least one or two guys that could step into that closer role if I do release him. My finances aren't great but they're workable if I keep him.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
When to cut for age/salary is hard to advise. I will say that Lombardi looks like a good pitcher who has just had a rough start. I expect he will bounce back.

You could also try him in a different role in the bullpen for a while. Personally I like to put guys with killer fastballs at closer and tend to put the garbage ball pitchers at setup. I have no idea if it makes any difference, just personal bias.
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My closer is struggling again early this season too but been very reliable once he gets it back together
Our pitching coach Walker Balfour feels he is almost back to form after watching films and tweaking his delivery motion
DANGLESNIPECEL9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
He has been stripped of his closer role for the time being. We're going all-in boys.

Previous Page | Show All |