Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Simyard   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Played Sokker for a long time. Really enjoyed creating my own team crest and uploading it. That said, half the team logos there were a chick in a bikini. Any enjoyment I got from making my own crest was lost in the general stupidity.

Same goes for team names. For every creative one you will have one that is obnoxious and another one that is outright inappropriate.

All this stuff needs to be policed.

This sort of mirrors my experience...I could allow custom names, logos etc. But from my experience with HT, about half the logos aren't really in the spirit of the game. Sometimes they are just ripped off from professional clubs or chicks in bikinis or pictures of peoples kids or blatant copyright violations or just plain crappy. I also don't like the way half the teams have no logos in a lot of games (hence in Broken Bat, every team has a logo).

So the question becomes, how to allow customization without a lot of policing overhead and hard feeling when a logo is rejected?

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

So the question becomes, how to allow customization without a lot of policing overhead and hard feeling when a logo is rejected?

You don't. The answer imo is that you currently have the best system in this regard, and that you will never please everybody. It may be cliche, but it is true.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Have to agree with newtman on this one.
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the existing logos are brilliant- there's nice consistency between them and every team's got one which is great... Just wondering if there's a few customisation options you could offer to turn them into more of a 'badge'.

Not sure how possible it might be, but off the top of my head perhaps you could offer a selection of backgrounds for the existing icons (ball, diamond, plate, glove etc) and the city/franchise name (not free-text) overlaid in a selection of appropriate fonts/colours? The backgrounds would all be black on white outlines, so there would be no need to 'cut-out' the images- they'd naturally sit in the frame as they are.. might just need resizing if you choose a background though.

This would add a bit of individuality and mean than teams with the same franchise name and therefore icon would have something to set them apart from each other.

Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Backgrounds for the logos are simple enough to do. I did this one by making a little collage of vintage baseball cards. The problem is with the images themselves. For a site like this, you're limited to using images that are in the public domain or are otherwise without copyright. If I was free to use any images I wanted, I could make dozens (depending on how complex they are) of logos myself in a month or two that Steve could choose the best of. I'm not a freehand artist though, so I can't create what we really need for something like this which are new logos that the site would own the rights to.

Updated Tuesday, December 2 2014 @ 11:01:14 am PST
Jalapeno5

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey Haselrig, that's a cool little design.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about changing or offering alternatives to any of the existing images, but wondered if it might be possible to generate badges on the fly by combining the existing team images with a choice of backgrounds and team fonts, rather than having a library to choose from, or the ability to upload your own image.

Yes, OK it'll never look as polished as a professionally designed and artworked team badge, but if you had the option to superimpose your wildcat on a ball (as the Red-sox/Yankees do in a couple of their logos), a diamond (like the White-sox), a home-plate (as used by the Padres), or bats or crossed bats (similar to the Cardinals) - within the game itself rather than created in photoshop or an equivalent, that could be a way of customising logos a little bit.

Understand about the copyright issue, but assuming the existing team logos have been sourced royalty-free or cheaply, I imagine some generic baseball paraphernalia should be fairly easy to source...

Only spent a couple of minutes looking, but maybe these kinds of things for example:

http://www.clipartbest.com/clipart-Rcd6Xp7c9
http://www.clipartbest.com/clipart-dT8GEoGTe

Just a couple of thoughts as to how semi-custom logos COULD be created and controlled if Steve did want to go down this route.

Cheers!
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

if you had the option to superimpose your wildcat on a ball (as the Red-sox/Yankees do in a couple of their logos), a diamond (like the White-sox), a home-plate (as used by the Padres), or bats or crossed bats (similar to the Cardinals) - within the game itself rather than created in photoshop or an equivalent, that could be a way of customizing logos a little bit.

Not sure how hard that would be to fit into the coding, but that sounds pretty good in terms of offering more customization without requiring moderation.
Den Duston

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well,I think that those teams that don't upload a custom logo simply remain with the standard logo (the ones that our teams currently have)

yes,we can't please everyone but the same goes with other changes. For example,I don't like the idea of increasing catcher injuries but still..the changes have been made. So why not logos? Because of some people who don't have a bit of creativity? Heck,they won't upload any then!

Updated Tuesday, December 2 2014 @ 2:50:44 pm PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

I don't like the idea of increasing catcher injuries but still..the changes have been made. So why not logos? Because of some people who don't have a bit of creativity? Heck,they won't upload any then!

The default picture and lack of creativity was one reason for not wanting it. Also mentioned, and imo more important, are the need for moderators to approve images and names because many people have different senses for what is appropriate and some others try and push those limits. It adds an unnecessary dimension of drama and headache to a game that is supposed to simulate baseball.

You can ignore the most important points all you want, it does not make your argument any more valid.

Updated Tuesday, December 2 2014 @ 4:58:29 pm PST
Den Duston

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Heh..it's not about ignore points and you aren't in position to say which argument is valid or not. Let's not be cocky,mate (thanks!) ;)

I do know that those are the reasons for not wanting logos...and Steve is free to not allow them,I mean...I'm still playing..I still like this game.
But what I was trying to say is that every change has people who agree and others that not agree yet changes will be made anyway. I was mentioning catcher injuries for example,an option that TO ME was't needed.....to me......to some others.......it has added some issues with the lineup I think...but I accepted it because I'm not Steve....I'm not an important person here. So why not logos? I've seen some soccer management games where they even made a rule on team logos like how they should look like (what must they contain,etc.).
Drama? Headache? Do you really think that without logos there's no currently drama and headchace?? You are speaking for yourself,remember that.

Updated Wednesday, December 3 2014 @ 2:08:03 am PST

Previous Page | Show All |