Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Fan Mood   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
bangkokmike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Steve,

I just lost the third game in my playoff series and lost an additional 5 points off the fan mood. During the season, I lost four games in a row a couple of times, but never lost a total of 17 points (120 to 103) off the fan mood. Are you sure the metric is not adjusted for the playoffs?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Playoff games do affect fan mood more than regular league games.

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Playoff games should affect fan mood more. Fans care more about the last few games a team plays than the 160 that are played in the regular season, it's how baseball is.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Losing the playoffs should affect fan mood strongly. In a way, losing the playoffs will hit many fans harder than missing them in the first place. But losing one or two playoff games usually doesn't affect fan mood so much, as long as there is a chance to win. However, I don't know if that effect is large enough to make a difference on attendance, here, anyway.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry to bring this back up, but in my second playoffs now, I am seeing that the mood swings <b>are</b> large enough to affect attendance, particularly at the start of the next season. I really think we're overdoing it here. If playoff games have such a huge effect on fan mood, there should at least be some kind of bonus for making it into the playoffs in the first place - or rather to the next higher league.

Besides, if you lose a few games at the end of the season because you let some young talent play after dominating and securing the division titles well before the end of the season, I don't think that would disgruntle a real-life fan base that much, either. Yes, I know, that's a conscious decision I made, but I think it's not very realistic.

Updated Wednesday, May 7 2014 @ 1:47:02 am PDT
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay...I'll look into it. But it looks like your playoff games were almost all sell-outs:

Sim Time Game Date Type Visiting Team Home Team Result Game Action Attendance
Tue May 6th October 27th Playoff Greater Fairvale Manhattan W 8 - 13 (play) 57,000
Tue May 6th October 28th Playoff Greater Fairvale Manhattan L 7 - 4 (play) 57,000
Wed May 7th October 30th Playoff Manhattan Greater Fairvale L 2 - 4 (play) 33,000
Wed May 7th October 31st Playoff Manhattan Greater Fairvale W 6 - 2 (play) 33,000
Wed May 7th November 1st Playoff Manhattan Greater Fairvale L 2 - 6 (play) 33,000
Thu May 8th November 3rd Playoff Greater Fairvale Manhattan W 2 - 3 (play) 55,066
Thu May 8th November 4th Playoff Greater Fairvale Manhattan W 2 - 4 (play) 53,050

Steve
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's not terrible or so, considering I have a rather large ballpark. But isn't it a bit absurd if the first two playoff games are sellouts, and the final game, when the whole drama comes together, is not?
Todibus

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was also wondering about playoff attendance after selling out most of my home games during the regular season but not once at home in the playoffs.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Has something changed in the fan mood/attendance calculation since last season? Don't get me wrong, I'll be the last to complain if finances will finally be worth paying attention to, but I just wasn't aware something was changing there. Comparing this year to last year up to September 8, I'm in a higher league (4) than last year (5), have a quite similar win percentage in the league (79-45 after 81-42), did a little better in the cup (17-5 + round 1 loss after 13-9 + round 1 loss), and before this season, I had won the playoffs after not even making them the year before. By all reasonable standards, I would expect my attendance to be significantly better than last year, capacity allowing. (In European soccer, which has promotions and demotions all the way from county leagues to the top pro leagues, the same club will almost always draw larger audiences and higher ticket prices in the 2nd league even as a cellar dweller than as a 3rd league top team.) Instead, at identical capacity, my average attendance has plummeted from 56056 (98%) to 43881 (77%).
Again, I'm not complaining about the total revenue as such, as it still allows me to maintain a rather high-paid team for my league level, but I'd really like to understand why that happens - after all, I don't know if I'll be able to as dominant again in the next higher league...
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I believe some adjusting needs to be made, especially as the season is nearing the end and pennant races are going full steam

I know my 45,000 stadium has rarely sold out this season and am averaging just a little over 36,000 a game but with a four team race in V9 East, having less than 15 games left and only 2 games separating the first thru fourth place teams and not sell out when the 1st and 2nd place teams are playing is very unrealistic

Even with the team slumping over the last couple of weeks, understanding mood and prestige and how it relates to attendance, not to sell out and only have 30k fans show up to watch the battle for first, I believe some bonus or other metric be used to affect attendance for those teams in competition

Previous Page | Show All |