Help

Forum >> Help >> Training in Minors vs Majors   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a 25 year old player who has been in my minors. He still has some potential for improvement left and could become a useful backup for me. Broken bat is now advising that he belongs in the Majors but he is not good enough to get much playing time on my team.

My question is: If a young player is not getting playing time, is it better for them to mostly sit the bench in the majors or be sent to AAA? Which scenario will help them train faster?

Curtis P
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
That's a hard question. Ideally, he should be in the minors until his training approaches its cap and then get playing time in the big leagues to gain experience.

But at 25 yo, he can't really spend too much more time in the minors and still have a meaningful big league career. Remember, when you promote him to the big leagues, he's still far from his potential and will need playing time and time with the big club to reach his potential.

Steve
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I actually have 2 guys who fit this description. One is 25, the other 24. I think I'm going to start the year with both of them on the weak side of a L/R platoon. Hopefully this will get them enough playing time to keep them improving. Maybe they will surprise me and over perform.

Curtis P
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a 23 yo and a 24 yo guy in my minors that have better SI numbers than a couple guys on my major league roster. Will it slow their development if I promote them but don't play them that much, compared to leaving them on the minor league teams? I want them to develop properly since my current team is mostly over the hill and losing a lot right now.

The reason I ask is to see if what was said above holds true for younger players, specifically guys under 25.

Updated Friday, December 27 2013 @ 3:30:12 pm PST
rjpj69

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If your team is not gonna have a winning season. It would be better to play your younger players and allow them to earn the exp. for playing the rest of the season. No sense in holding onto old guys who will just decline in skills. Better to start the rebuilding asap!
winningswagg

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Is there a difference in the trining speed btw minors and majors? Say they have ample playing time in the majors, will he still have been better off in minor leagues that whole time?

Sorry but iwant to be absolutely clear before I make my next roster move, I'll play 16 yr olds as long as theyre developing
curtisp5286

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I believe players almost always develop fastest when placed at the recommended level. I'm just not sure which will lead to faster development between sitting the bench in the majors or being in AAA when the recommended level is Majors.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Always try to keep players at the recommended minor league assignment level. Usually, being on the bench in the Majors is better than AAA when recommended.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |