Help

Forum >> Help >> Players Statistical Progression   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Annie Oakley

Independence Cavaliers
V.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Is it fair to say that a players progress is 'normally' 2 steps forward and 1 step back as they progress through the minors and start majors?

If so, how long (in terms of underperformance) do people give players at the next level before they determine that they're not going to be good enough and release them?

Likewise how big a drop in performance at their new level do people allow before considering releasing them?

I ask this as stats (in my admittedly limited experience) seem to be strongly linked to age/experience but I am beginning to wonder if that is just a coincidence and my older players are better because they always were and the fact they're better means they have survived to still be playing as a veteran.

In short - is there ever a reason to keep a younger player who isn't currently performing well?

I have to admit the prioritisation of statistical performance over visible skills/ability still doesn't sit well with me for a game like this. I'd much prefer the necessary variation in performance needed for the game to stem from a form element rather than a set of hidden and unknown skills that turn a player that's great on paper to rubbish in reality.

But that's me - it certainly adds an additional aspect of complexity (albeit with one cheeky thought that one of the unknown skills is 'how good is player' - sliding scale to 20 and everything else is just window dressing - lol)

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There are some hidden ratings, but scouting inaccuracies are really the biggest impact. The most impactful hidden ratings (like GB/FB) can be discovered just by looking at the stats.

In generally I excuse the first season if its bad, and pretty much ignore everything below AA. But even a couple bad seasons could just be poor form/luck. So I usually look more over their whole body of work.

End of the day, few of my players get cut for performance alone (at least not until second year in AA). Generally there is at least one other guy that just looks better that causes the cut.

Exceptions would be some power slots. I'm not likely to keep a LF with a high GB/FB. Not unless it looks like their PD and BC growth is going to make them have crazy good OBP. But I really want OPS from my corner OFs.

Previous Page | Show All |