Help

Forum >> Help >> Why hasn't my prospect developed this year?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Came across an interesting curiosity in my minors.

Clint Schofield.

Schofield is a 4th round catching prospect who I view long term as a backup for McCormick. So he's not super important or anything, but still a player I'd like to develop.

He has not trained a single point all season.

Schofield's SI has remained steady at 74 all year long during his first full year in AA-ball. He clearly isn't beyond the level, having barely spent any time at AA prior to this year, and not having a "he's learned all he can" comment. But he's not developing at all. It's really peculiar.

Can anyone offer an explanation?
Rebuilder

Redding Raiders
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
This player has an extremely low development rate(around 3 points a season), more than likely he's close in several areas and will gain 2 or 3 points soon but don't expect any decent gains until he gets Major league experience and even then it won't be huge(maybe 6-9 a year).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
His development actually looks ok. At least his age/level is appropriate. He should be able to develop to his maximum minor league potential before graduating to the majors. There are several things that can confound our view of growth.

- Growth rates change as they get older
- Sharping happens in parallel, so downward sharpened skills can appear to stop growing temporarily
- There is fuzziness in the ratings, so players can be better then they appear
- improvement is on sub-levels, and doesn't show until you tick over a full point

This particular guy seems to be developing rather slowly. It could indicate a lower SI ceiling, but I wouldn't get too caught up in his SI growth. To many confounding factors. More valuable to assess his performance against where you would expect given his ratings. Is he over rated? What does his final projection look like (assuming a modest POT 12)?
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the inputs guys. Hopefully he's just close on a lot of ratings.

He's nothing really special I know, first chance I get he'll be replaced, and if any of my current major league young catchers work, then I'm totally gonna cut him. Just thought it was rather odd to see someone not pop a rating all year.

Previous Page | Show All |