Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Would love to talk about my 1B/OF if you're interested...   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
So, one of my favorite players on my roster right now is Manuel De La Garza. He's had a glorious 2034 season, and he was my first player to pop from POT12 to POT13, which was fun to see.

With the exception of when there's an injury and I need to shuffle around my defense, I have wholeheartedly committed to Manuel being my 1B for many seasons to come.

I know that there's a lot of talk about 1B not needing fielding or range so much, but I find it comforting thinking that he's over there picking and sucking up every groundball that gets hit down the right side of the infield, regardless of how hard the play is or how far he needs to range to scoop it up, and catching every throw to first base.

Plus, with Peters at SS and McHenry coming into his own at 2B, I just have this vision of the whole infield being blanketed in high fielding, high range goodness.

What's the consensus from you veteran owners. Am I wasting his defensive capabilities at 1B? Should he be manning CF? I feel like his 19 Fielding is absolutely wasted in CF.

Thanks for the discussion!

Jeff
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You can get away with a lot at LL-6. Most of those guys hitting .300 at LL-6 will be hitting .240 by the time you get to LL-2. You can pretty much play around with 27 year old guys and see what happens. Its really only the guys who are 24 or younger you need to be stressing over.

Garza would make a nice 2B if he weren't a lefty. As a lefty he is pretty much OF/1B, which is what you have him trained at. His arm is probably a bit low for CF. You don't need fielding at 1B, but you also don't need fielding in the OF. So its kind of a wash in that regard. To me Garza's best position is 1B. He may not translate to higher levels, and you may have to move on from him eventually, but I wouldn't have any problem playing him there unless he was blocking the development of a younger (and promising) player. It is possible that he can translate for a couple levels and be productive for you until he retires. If he can help you climb he is worth it. If he fades away, you can always move on to the next hot prospect.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock, does that mean that you would have no problem hiding a guy like Flynn at 1B, with his fielding and range ratings?

Previous Page | Show All | Next Page