Bug Reports

Forum >> Bug Reports >> Blown save in non-save situation.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 This is something I’ve noticed a few times under specific conditions. This game is a typical example. Deerfield Beach reliever Ordonez came in from the bullpen before the starting pitcher had completed the fifth inning, meaning it was not a save situation for him as he would have been in line to be the winning pitcher. A blown save is defined as a pitcher being in a save situation and allowing the tying run to score, therefore Ordonez should not have been charged with a blown save.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Accept that is a save situation according to the rules.
  1. He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
  2. He is not the winning pitcher;
  3. He is credited with at least ⅓ of an inning pitched; and
  4. He satisfies one of the following conditions:
  • He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
  • He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
  • He pitches for at least three innings.

Even though its impossible for him to finish the game and not be the winning pitcher and still get a save... I'm not sure how this situation is interpreted in MLB stats.

Updated Sunday, July 16 2017 @ 4:26:59 pm PDT
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
“He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team

Going by the letter of the rules, it would be impossible for a pitcher on the losing team to have a blown save at all.

EDIT #1: It would also be impossible to have multiple blown saves in a game, since each team can only have one pitcher who finished the game, or for a pitcher who didn’t finish the game to be charged with a blown save.

EDIT #2: Actually, I just looked at the official rules posted on the MLB site. Blown saves aren’t even mentioned.

Updated Sunday, July 16 2017 @ 6:16:34 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That is true. By the official MLB rules it is not possible to have two pitchers get a save. But Blown Save is different. The idea is that they could have gotten a save if they did not blow it, so it is always assumed that they would have finished the game and the team wins.

Still algorithmically it is unclear if that situation you exposed should be a blown save or not.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 That’s just it, though. If the pitcher in this case did finish the game and was on the winning team, he would be getting a win, not a save. This is actually covered in a different section of the scoring rules (9.17 instead of 9.19). They would be qualified for a win if they finished the game, which by the definition of a save means they could not earn — and therefore blow — a save.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I know the win rules. He doesn't even have to finish he game, just has to pitch an inning (somewhat subjective).

It doesn't change the fact that this is a bit of a loop hole. While its an impossible situation as you point out, I'm not sure what the official ruling is for that situation. Blown saves aren't really an official thing.

Previous Page | Show All |