Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Compensatory Draft Pick   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
texg8r

Pembroke Pines Gators
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Sure...I agree with that, but not sure how that changes my suggestion, at all. You can't trade, so that point is irrelevant. Right now if you have that 98 SI or 103 SI player, but can't use him your only option is to drop him for nothing.

My criteria was just a suggestion, I'm sure there is a line of demarcation that can be decided on that would satisfy most situations.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not so sure about that. I've wrestled with enough of these sorts of problems in my time here to know there's usually no acceptable middle ground.

I'd also doubt most owners would be happy seeing people hit on two picks in a round when they got garbage.
texg8r

Pembroke Pines Gators
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Perfect is the enemy of good

And the latter criticism is why I suggested a separate round altogether.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
It's still the same pool of prospects. If you wanted to move it to the end, I'd have no problem with that other than younger prospects picked and dumped might diminish future drafts.

This might have been a better fit for the old draft system when those leftover prospects just got deleted at flip.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Currently there is a huge element of luck in the draft (and to a lesser extent FA). If you have so many good players you can't even keep one as a backup, that means you have had a HUGE amount of luck. So dropping the player helps to a small extent in balancing out the serious talent distribution problems that this game has.

It helps the game for rich teams to have to shed players. If rich, lucky teams got a compensation pick, it would only exacerbate the serious issue of talent distribution. Not only would you be getting lucky with the talent acquisition, but then you could essential trade in players for free picks. Double dipping on rich get richer. I don't think this would be a good idea. Having to cut good players is painful, but a part of the game (in real life as well). I think overall its good for the game, and a good emulation of real life.
texg8r

Pembroke Pines Gators
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, I would argue that rich teams getting richer in baseball is about as "real life" as it gets, but that's a different discussion.

I don't think the issue is that teams have so many good players they don't know what do with all their talent. It's more likely to be a specific case of not having room for 2 decent catchers or something like that. Where it makes more sense to spin that surplus in a particular position into something else of value that you actually need. Now, typically that would be through a trade. But since trades aren't really possible here, the compensatory draft pick is a decent substitution. It's also something that is realistic and does happen in the real world. Qualifying offer compensation, etc.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The biggest issue in this game is the unrealistic drafting. It is very common for someone to get nothing but POT 10s on their first round board, while someone else gets three POT 14s. Anything that makes that issue worse only hurts the game.

Sure rich gets richer is realistic. But there is fun realistic, and there is not fun realistic. Creating a mechanic where the top teams get extra advantages is not fun. Currently the game is well designed so that anyone can start playing and advance through the ranks. That is what makes it fun.

If you are cutting a player, the fact is they aren't good. If they were good, they would at least have a role as a DH or a backup. If you are cutting a third string guy, it may feel like he is good, but its doubtful he is anything you should be getting a compensation pick for anyhow.

People would simply game the system. Whatever measuring stick was used. If it was POT, we would see a huge increase in 14 POT "will never be a decent hitter" draftees. It would just become a psuedo-game within the game that doesn't add anything to the real game.
texg8r

Pembroke Pines Gators
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I kind of see what you are saying, but I'm not sure I follow your "gaming" theory. Are you suggesting people would intentionally draft a bad player just so that seasons later they could maybe get another draft pick? I mean...I guess....but that seems sorta counterproductive.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
It depends on the criteria. If the criteria is just based on SI, then there would be a lot of people picking up and dropping lousy guys with high SI. In fact, you could probably pick-up and drop the same guy a whole bunch of times to build up a bunch of draft picks.

Regardless of gaming whatever system is created, I don't like the idea of rewarding lucky teams for their luck. Or rewarding bad owners for dropping players that they shouldn't be dropping.

Consider the money savings as your compensation ;) After all you don't have to pay their full contract when you drop a guy in BB.

Updated Tuesday, September 15 2020 @ 8:25:58 am PDT
texg8r

Pembroke Pines Gators
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
That's true, there would have to be some level of protection against that. Again, i was thinking more in terms of a player you drafted and developed and just don't have a need for. I'm not sure how complicated the coding would have to be to make those restrictions part of the system, though. It might be too difficult to protect against "gaming".

Previous Page | Show All |