Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Position Coaches   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry if someone else has already pitched this:
What if in the managers pool, you could hire additional staff to influence your team's progression? Some coaches are only good at one thing, so you could have a hitting coach, pitching coach, and director of player development. It would make the "coaching staff salaries" in finances more tangible. This might be too much to program, but it's just an idea I had.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
That's something under consideration...it's just that stuff like that takes a lot of implementation work.

Thanks,

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

Nothing personal, but I don't like the coach mechanic here. This would magnify the effect. If there was actually a cost to coaches (like salary based on revealed ratings rather than "performance") then it might make more sense. Especially since performance has little to do with the Manager in the game. As is, its just first come first serve and there is no greater cost for having the benefit of a good Manager/Coach over a bad one.

I'd rather all coaches were zero sum skilled and we had to choose our pros with our cons. Get that great hitting coach, but he will be horrible at pitching and defense. Rather than get that great coach that is good in every skill.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
The problem with managers (and to some degree coaches), is finding the correct role for them. In the case of Broken Bat, the user wants to make most of the managerial decisions, so what role for the manager?

Steve
Garnash1970

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sentimental reasons, for sure. For example, the first guy I had an "a ha!" moment with was Will Montgomery. He was my best player by far, and for a couple of season the only reason I'd log on, cuz my team was so bad.

He will retire at season end and I would love, love, LOVE a way to keep on my staff as a hitting coach, 3b coach etc. It doesn't matter to me if he affects the game, just so long as Will Montgomery is somehow on my squad.

Pretty please?!?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the role of managers that you have defined is fine. The problem is that the cost/reward mechanism is a bit broken. There is no cost in having a good manager, and you can tell just by looking at their report if they are good or bad. Not much evaluation really needed.

I think if all the managers were 0 sum it would work better. That way players would have to decide which weaknesses and strengths they wanted. So for instance if all manager skills always added up to 50 points. If he is good in one thing, it would be balanced by being not as good in others.

Examples:
Hitting: 15, Defense: 10, Pitching:10, Player Dev: 15
Hitting:8, Defense:10, Pitching:13, Player Dev: 19
Hitting:10, Defense:13, Pitching:13, Player Dev: 14

Based on when he got his first pops (well before the all-star break) I believe my current manager is going to be ~18 for both pitching and player dev, so I'm not making this point from a position of managerial weakness.

EDIT: P.S. Sorry for accidentally hijacking this thread buffmckagan :( I really should be having this conversation in a separate thread...

Updated Monday, May 30 2016 @ 8:30:21 pm PDT
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
i like the managers like they are. but if you get more managers or staff it would cost more. then you would have to make training diffrent also so i have a Pitching Manager whos say Excelent at handling bullpen. but general manager is Above Average.
my Pitching or pitcher should grow faster and perform better. just because i have a good Pitching Manger.
how this affects stats would mean less walks more strike outs less wild pitches or hit batters. making my teams pitching ERA/Whip go down and maybe producing more wins overall.

Previous Page | Show All |