Help

Forum >> Help >> Player development, Pinch Hit Logic, and who to cut   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
TheoFaron

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So, first season here, I've read a bunch of threads on development but am still unclear about a few things.

If a player has "learned all they can at this level of competition" in AAA, does it hurt his development to keep him there? Is it better to promote him even if he doesn't get much playing time? Or should I wait to promote him so he'll get more playing time in AAA.

This guy https://brokenbat.org/player/289438/M and this guy https://brokenbat.org/player/282565 had that tag in AAA but are unlikely to get much playing time if I don't want to get demoted. Thought Galindo could be useful as a pinch runner but he barely gets used as that. Also thought he might be a good cut with the never be a decent hitter tag

This guy has the tag as well https://brokenbat.org/player/286424 14 POT and only 75 SI. Better to promote him or leave him down.

A couple guys have only 11 POT in my minors and don't look great so far but I have no experience with how much they might still develop.

My team is also very old. Feel like I need to cut some of the older pitchers, particularly Campos to make room for draft picks promotion etc. Any recommendations would be appreciated. My goal is not to get relegated this season but don't want to accomplish that at the expense of the development of my future players. Any advice would be appreciated.

How does the AI determine who to pinch hit for? My SS, who isn't amazing but okay keeps getting pinch hit for for his backup, who bats RH as well and is rated lower in every skill.

Bryant https://brokenbat.org/player/256688 gets taken out for aging vet Gonzalez https://brokenbat.org/player/198623 nearly every game. I don't want to eliminate pinch hitting for him completely if there is a better LH bat on the bench but seems to put Gonzalez in even if there's a better LH bat on the bench. Trying to understand how this works and if I'm missing something that makes Gonzalez a better option.

Any advice on who I should cut, promote, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Help a new player prep his team for longevity.
electriceel883

Irvine Infernos
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Roster recommendations aside, which I sent you,

Management settings: "Pinch Hit For
LHP | RHP" You may select 5th-9th inning. Doing that for LHP means they will be pinch hit for if a LHP is in the game that inning when their turn at bat comes up. Same for RHP. Marking x means they will never be pinch hit for.

As far as who pinch hits for them, I think it is usually whoever is marked as backup on lineups. Couldnt say for sure though.

As far as your team goes, it has some pieces, but like most teams, getting younger and loading the minors with top prospects is the first order of business. Some FA/Waiver veterans may help you win now, but its important to have guys in the minors that have a clear path to playing time (not too many duplicate positions/batting/etc).

Minor league stats can be instructive, but often should be taken with a grain of salt. if the AI starts a low stamina pitcher all the time, his stats may be trash because that is not optimal use.

Some hitting tendencies show early, but sometimes players are late bloomers. Gathering talent is a process. You have to determine what types of players you need, what types of builds you want and so on.

Updated Saturday, August 13 2022 @ 9:07:55 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The recommendation provided by your AI assistant coaches are intentionally fuzzy. They don't always give the best advice. Last few seasons the AI has gotten more aggressive as well. Sometimes skipping guys over AA entirely.

Unless they have been in AAA for over three seasons, or haven't increased in SI for half a year, I wouldn't worry about keeping them down. Especially if they aren't going to get any playing time. I would probably leave Jewell down since he only has one year in AAA right now. I would definitely leave Olivera down. Skipping from A to the majors is a recipe for disaster. I would keep him in AAA. If anything I would consider some time in AA since he skipped that level, but its possible he was just placed too low previously? AAA is probably fine. You would definitely hurt him if you promoted him now.

Now, players can still get Training in the majors even without playing time. They just won't gain Experience. Supposedly players gain the most Training if they are at the right level, but remember the AI recommendations are fuzzy and they might not advise him for the right level. Even still, I'm not 100% they will get more Training in the majors than in AAA even if it is the correct level for them. For guys with less two seasons in AAA, I wouldn't bat an eye about keeping them down (unless you plan to use them in the majors).

Previous Page | Show All |