Baseball Forum

Forum >> Baseball >> the Opener   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I was browsing old posts, when this one catched my eye

Also, I'd like to know if it is possible in this game, and if anybody ever tried, to yank a SP after just 1 or 2 innings of play, effectively playing without a SP, but scattering innings thought the whole pitching staff, in order to keep 'em all fresh.

it's dated 09/19/2013
I was asking Steve if in BrokenBat we could use the OPENER!!!
at least 5 years before it was introduced in MLB :)
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, even the Dodgers who have excellent starting pitchers are using openers/bullpen days now.

Steve
JohnnyBoi62

Florissant Falcons
VI.21

Broken Bat Baseball
The opener is one of the best ideas of the modern baseball era that hasn't gotten the exposure it deserves in MLB purely due to economic/player's bargaining power reasons.

Why not bring in a high caliber reliever to retire the top of the order for an inning or two before soaking up innings with a "starter"? It puts so many advantages due to defensive and pitching decisions back with the defensive manager!

What kind of split stats does a specific top of the order have? You can have righty/lefty situational openers to suppress a righty/lefty heavy lineup.

Did the opener unexpectedly get blown up? That's okay, time to spot start a rookie or chip away with a LR vs starting a big money veteran, who can now live to start another day.

Do I send the innings eater (old SP) through the order for a third time or not? That decision is now being made in the 7th or 8th inning most likely. If you have a big lead or are significantly behind, sure. If not, bring in your set up man/closer, or a low level reliever to wrap up a loss.

Previous Page | Show All |