Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Umpires   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

-Pitch selection, which is currently mostly cosmetics, if I understand correctly. If a pitcher throws a lot of sliders, that should reflect in his platoon split. And then, I have a pitcher who can throw triple digit heat but relies mostly on sinkers and cutters...

This. I have several pitchers who have terrible velocity and then throw primarily fastballs rather than sliders or curves which they are exceptional at. Because they are cosmetic, I assume they are still throwing their best stuff according to the engine, but from what shows up on the game tracker they look like idiots for not pitching to their strengths.
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Wouldn't mind having umpires in the game, I'm all for more details and flavor, but as the guys above, I'd like to see some developments in pitching domain first. Pitch selection is definitely important, and for pitchers to be able to learn new types of pitches as well - I've seen quite a number of guys with, for example, 15+ change of speeds skill who didn't have any off-speed pitches in their repertoire, only fastballs and breaking balls. Would be great if they could learn new stuff the same way position players learn new positions.

Updated Thursday, March 19 2015 @ 9:16:05 am PDT
GreenYoshi

Brookhaven Mustangs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Hmm... for me personally, I'd be interested in field umps. Basically those bang-bang calls could affect the game and I feel they're more involved than the plate ump. Some examples could be:

"Mathews hits it to second base, umpire calls him safe at first"

or

"Mathews hits a single to right field but called safe at second by the umpire"

or

(Unlikely bc of his speed but...)
"Mathews hits a single to right field but called out at second by the umpire"

Basically the whole runner being thrown out is mostly covered already; it's assumed in the text but maybe involve the umpire more. I don't know, it would just add another layer to the dialogue, or it could be tied into the speed of the player, the arm of the fielder, and the aggressiveness settings of the offensive team that determines how often a close play actually happens.

One of my personal wants is to add chalk-line hits --- You know, the ball hitting the chalk and ruled fair. It would add so much drama to the dialogue if you're like me and like to read it. I know I'd lose my mind if it's bases loaded bottom of the ninth and my guy gets the game winning hit on a dunker that happens to hit the chalk. Or of course, misses the chalk and ruled foul and he strikes out the next pitch...

On topic, I think home umps would be intriguing but I'm still on the fence as to what they'll exactly do.

If it is integrated, it would be pretty sweet if you used retired players as umps. Kind of like how Hattrick uses retired Hall-of-Famers. Then again, how many players actually become umps in MLB? Can't say, but I thought I'd just throw it out there. I'm sure there's hundreds out there that you would not be likely to draw your own guys.

Updated Thursday, March 19 2015 @ 9:30:03 am PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I like the idea of umpires with different strike zones. It would be a way to to make subtle changes through the game engine if things trend too far one way or the other with pitching/hitting. It would also add some unpredictability to what type of game might occur. Both teams would be equally affected but one might have an advantage due to style of play. I like it as a hidden trait that an owner can keep an eye on and maybe determine trends.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Not a fan of the idea. In real life you can see the ball and watch replays that show where they truly cross the plate. Here we would have absolutely no idea. Without the visual, we wouldn't have a clue as to whether or not it was a good pitch or a bad call.
jonny6

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If this was combined with something like a pitch tracker maybe that would make it more worthwhile? Then we can actually see where the pitchers are.
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
as stated, not sure how umpires would affect strike zones etc etc...i mean...it could affect the game...but we wouldn't really see it...the game could make a strike call on what might be a ball...but all we'd read it as is a strike...so it wouldn't seem different to us, unless you put in more dialogue like "the pitch looked like it was outside, but the umpire called it a strike"...but at the same time, what would that do for us? would there be a management setting that we could adjust to make this work for us? and you could just add dialogue like that right now for when the engine determines the pitch was a strike, just to add a little personality to the game calling...

in fact, it would be kind of cool if you made up a play by play character and a colour commentary character and had them call the game instead of just stating what happens...they could use cliched lines and jokes while making calls, and go into stories (total made up BS of course) about something from history, or the player at bat, say something about him growing up on a farm and would spend hours hitting rocks with a stick out in the field...or if you wanted to get really complicated, code in a system where it would be able to recognize and bring up past seasons stats...etc etc...

although...if you wanted to add base umpires, you could program them with how the call close plays, if an umpire likes to favour runners, then people may adjust their running strategies to more aggressive thinking they'll be able to steal more bases, or if the umpire favours the baseman, then they'll adjust their strategy to be more passive on base stealing...

i think if umpires can be incorporated in a way that their presence affects us and the way we prepare for a game, then it'd be cool...otherwise...i don't think it's something to bother with...and i think if that's the case, one umpire would have to work the whole series of games because a lot of people wouldn't be able to adjust for each game but would adjust for the real life day...
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think what Steve was going for was a slightly more realistic system in place. Frankly, we probably would not notice much of a change. But in real life, umpires do not call balls and strikes at the same rate. Therefore, I think Steve just wants this disparity existant in the game. I don't think it would affect us much at all. I'm kind of on the fence with this one because I don't see an upside or a downside to this.
JuanCarlos_BY

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I do not like the idea. I prefer to try improving another things of the simulation, like occur throwing errors, pick off runners, double plays with line drives and more aggressive running bases.
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
precisely, i wouldn't say i'm for or against it exactly, but if it's something that we wouldn't even really notice, then why spend time on it when you could use that time on something else...

Previous Page | Show All |