Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Walk   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Buck_McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Would like option to get my guys to take more bobs and less hacks at thin air.
Possible?

A.k.a more hacks if so desired as the alternative??

Ta

Updated Friday, January 8 2016 @ 12:52:33 pm PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So you want a player mgmt setting?

Steve
Buck_McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Management? Yes that's kind of thing I thought.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Some players swing and miss a lot. That's just who they are.

In real life, there are players who have more of a tendency to just attack the first pitch that looks good (but if their plate vision isn't great, they could be very wrong). When you tell these guys to be more patient and take some pitches, the result is usually that they take called strikes, fall behind, and then desperately swing at pitches out of the zone.

You haven't solved the problem.

I think if a guy can't tell ball from strike well, he might as well swing early in the count because then at least he has more chances to guess right... also more chances to make contact if contact is part of the issue as well.

I don't like the idea of a management setting for Plate Discipline when PD is already an attribute each player has. It doesn't make sense to me.
Buck_McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm aiming more along the lines of "I want you lot to get on base. So get the f**k on base."

In respect to plate discipline, if players haven't any they'll be pants at getting walks.
Retrospectively it could provide a good way to make use of those with great plate discipline and zero hitting ability.
Buck_McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
But I also do see your point.

Updated Friday, January 8 2016 @ 3:07:51 pm PST
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well I would like a setting that says "get hits more"

or better yet "hit home runs all the time"

but that's not exactly reasonable :p

Updated Friday, January 8 2016 @ 4:02:57 pm PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So the upside is that you'd take more pitches and presumably get more walks. What's the down side?

Steve
jonny6

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe you can do a take on 3-0 count. It will give players a chance to draw more walks but it will give pitchers a chance to get back into counts where they fall far behind. It's also I think more realistic because most MLB teams don't let their average players swing during 3-0 counts.

Updated Friday, January 8 2016 @ 4:16:40 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If it was interpreted as "don't swing on 3-0" and "always take the first pitch", then I suppose it could increase both the chance of drawing a walk, and the chance of striking out (since you'd be getting behind in the count).

Or maybe it would incur a slight Bat Control (and/or Hitting) penalty in place of a slight PD boost...? That would probably be the easiest to program if it made sense. I say and/or Hitting because I still don't completely understand the relationship between Hitting and Bat Control.
jonny6

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
But I usually find in the MLB a lot more guys will swing at the first pitch and it's really more of a guideline than a rule which I would say is reflected by the plate discipline. When I watch the MLB it is pretty obvious almost all the players are not allowed to swing at 3-0 pitches with exception to some of the stars.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not sure about that. I think its still a guideline. Just one that is followed more often. If players were really not allowed to, then EVERY 3-0 pitch would be a meatball down the middle of the plate. In reality its not good to have either of those "rules" in play as it gives an advantage to the pitcher. Which is why the decrease in walks would be balanced by a decrease in hits and increase in Ks.
Buck_McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In the end I'd still like to put a man on base (say 1st batter) and if he has shocking hitting and amazing plate discipline I wanna tell him to stop trying to be a slugger.

"Walk More" option would do it.
"Base Hits" for guys with no power perhaps?
"Slug it" to the Prince Fielders??

We've got bunt option, hit and run, steal, etc. Don't think these new suggestions could hurt.

Ta
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Any good hitter gets a green light 3-0. The only ones that don't are ones the manager doesn't trust to make a good decision or get a hit, so they'd rather see a possible walk.

3-0 pitchers are more likely to be strikes because the pitcher doesn't typically WANT to walk the guy... unless they're pitching around the guy.

You might give your big stick a 3-0 red light despite his power if he's got poor vision and hacks at things trying to slug home runs. You don't want him to get himself out when the pitcher was trying to walk him.

But then on the flip side, it's just 1 strike... maybe you don't care.
jonny6

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm from Canada so I'm going to use the Jays as an example. Every game I watched it was pretty obvious that only three Jays guys were 'green-lighted' to swing on 3-0 counts (Donaldson, Bautista, and Encarnacion) while everyone else it was a rule they took the next pitch. This year the Jays I believed had the best, if not one of the best offenses in the league. In the years leading up to this year it was really only Bautista who was allowed to swing at 3-0 pitches. And from what I've seen most of the time the pitchers do just throw fastballs in these counts depending on the skill set of the batter they are facing.
Buck_McCoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If I could put two wee "++" next to WALK and an "x" next to all other settings, this guy http://brokenbat.org/player/67469 would be my big league Center Fielder !!!

Billy Beane would be proud.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@jonny6: and if you know everyone but 3 batters will take 3-0, then you just throw a fastball over the plate every time.

If you start to see this trend, do you let guys start swinging at it?

Within reason, of course. If a guy is all over the place, the batter should know to lay off even if the light is green. They used good judgment to get the count 3-0 in the first place, right?

Previous Page | Show Page |