Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Depth Chart   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
davidt82

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
hey, i've noticed that when i look back into the game, lets say my 1b was injured and i cant change it in time, they put a random person in the game like a ss, so i was wondering if you would make a depth chart area so, we know who the replacement will be in case of an injury
AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
a depth chart would be really cool! also for other replacement situations.
davidt82

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
yeah, exactly
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, I plan to add a depth chart feature in the future. Right now though, injured players are not replaced randomly – the game engine uses a formula whereby it selects the best possible player for the batting position and defensive assignment.

> lets say my 1b was injured and i cant change it in time, they put a random person in the game like a ss

Do you have an example from a specific game of this? In general, most players should be able to fill in at 1B (defensive requirements are pretty low) and thus the game engine would probably select a better hitter off your bench.

Steve
davidt82

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
no, most of the time, a 3b might play 1b, and all the other kind of switches, because one game, every position was wrong for some reason
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Can you give me an example of a game where that happened and I'll look into it.

Thanks,

Steve
davidt82

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
sorry, i dont have any specifis, but ive noticed some of my ss's and 3b's have been playing 1b as a backup alot
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Well, you have two pretty good 3rd basemen and two pretty good short stops. Since, 1st base is not a demanding defensive position, I think the game engine probably is choosing the best replacement -- its just that the offense & defensive contributions from those replacements more than offset the positional experience.

Steve
davidt82

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
ok, thanks admin, then i wont worry about it, then
clodhopper

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's an idea to go along with the suggestions for depth chart and saving lineups:

For each of the nine spots on the lineup, you also have a backup player named that you want to cover that position.

So if your player is injured the manager substitutes the backup player in his spot. Lets the Owner decide whether you want a defensive substitution or the next best hitter.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So I was thinking of adding something like that to the lineup setup page whereby you'd have not 9, but something like 16 positions to allocate: DH, C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, backup DH, backup C...backup OF.

What I'm not sure is, how do you handle the case of a player you'd like to backup multiple positions -- say 2B and SS?

Am considering have additional options like UT (utility man) or corner infielder for 1B and 3B. Also, could have something like backup CF versus backup OF.

Its difficult to come up with something that is simple, but flexible.

Steve
clodhopper

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I see what you are thinking. You are right it could become cumbersome rather than useful if not kept simple.

Perhaps to players not assigned to a spot in the lineup you could give them alternate roles... like: pinch hitter, defensive sub (corners, middle, OF), or pinch runner?

AmUnRA

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
why not a dropbox system like this:
Player A [Box1] [Box2] [Box3]
Player B [Box1] [Box2] [Box3]

Box# could be:
Starting Position (C,1B,2B,3B,SS,LF,CF,RF,DH)
Backup Position(s)(C,1B,2B,3B,SS,LF,CF,RF,DH)
Def.Repl. (INF,OF,LF/RF,CI,MI,C,CF)
PH-Power,PH-On-Base
PR

if you want 2 players as a backup for a single position, one of them have to be in Box2 and the other in Box3 (priority)
tc_ferdzz

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
maybe have pinch hit options...if i am not mistaken (it has been known to happen sometimes) we can pick if we want a guy to be pinched for...but we can't assign the pincher...

have a list with pinch hit list with say...3 pull down menu's so that you can list your choice in order...and if 1 is already on the field...move on to 2...and so forth...

as for injury replacement...same idea...but just narrow it down instead of every position...have corner infielder replacement, mid infielder replacement, outfielder replacement, and catcher replacement...give 3 options...and it'll go through the list until the first available player...
clodhopper

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It could be something simple like this:

[img]http://tinypic.com/r/25a3d5h/6[/img]

Where our utility player (Don Money) is set to be a defensive sub for either 1B or 3B (whichever comes first).

In the case of our RF Suzuki, he has no named defensive sub, therefore the manager will not pull him out unless he is hurt. In which case Jay Buhner will come in.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay, thanks for those suggestions. I have a couple of bugs to fix and then I'm going to start looking at the line-up page and depth chart changes.

Steve
davidt82

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks, i look forward to seeing the depth chart, i hope it works out
canadian87

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I really like the idea in post #1216 by AmUnRA, and have it like he said where the same position cannot be in the same row that way it will always choose the box furthest to the left as the starting player. Depth chart would really help setting up the lineups alot.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Actually, I thinking of something more like depth chart.

Probably have a batting order, with position, starter, backups and defensive replacements. Maybe also add pinch hitter or runners to the mix.

Not sure what problems I'll encounter, so that may necessiate some changes.

Steve
siches

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's a great idea. if you can put it together, it will be the greatest baseball managerial game in history.
clodhopper

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I can't wait - I think the addition of unlimited free agency and the depth chart will really add a lot to the game.

LCabral23

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In regards to the "pinch hitter" and "pinch runner" thought; why not streamline that as part of the Management section of the game?

As Management is already set up to give us the option to allow a player to be pinch hit for/pinch run for it would only require minor changes. Such as, instead of having boxes for us to check off we could have a drop down menu... in the drop down menu we can set players for "PHR 1" "PHL 1" ,etc. Where "R" would be in the case of a right handed pitcher and "L" for left handed pitchers and then, of course, the number would indicate priority...
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
We are starting to roll out the depth chart changes. Today we’ve added a new column to the Lineup Update page that includes a drop down menu for backup players. Although it’s not functional yet, I would appreciate any feedback you might have.

Steve
LCabral23

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Clean and simple, exactly as needed. I can't wait until it's functional to really try it out.
jjipson

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So what exactly does being set as the backup do? Does it mean they will pinch hit for that player, be the defensive sub for that player, or does it mean they will start for that player in case of injury?
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Backups would only be to replace an injured player.

Steve
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
1. If I put another starter as a backup will he shift positions to replace the injured one?

2. Will a backup listed as the backup for multiple players function properly?

3. Can it be arranged so that the backups remain listed or viewed instead of it being blank after updating the lineups?

Thank you. This should be really good for the game.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Before I answer the questions, let me just reiterate that the depth chart is not working yet. It's just a sample of how the interface would look. ETA is probably a couple of weeks for it to be fully functional.

> 1. If I put another starter as a backup will he shift positions to replace the injured one?

No...having a starter listed as a backup would be invalid.

>2. Will a backup listed as the backup for multiple players function properly?

Well, he'll probably be inserted into the first empty spot in the lineup. The second empty spot will be filled by the game engines best judgment.

> 3. Can it be arranged so that the backups remain listed or viewed instead of it being blank after updating the lineups?

Yes, when the implementation is complete, the backups will be saved and listed each time the page is viewed.

Steve
Ajax

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Not sure how complicated it would be, but it would be nice if backup roles took priority over the DH role...
davidt82

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
thanks, admin for taking my advice :)
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
So now it’s saving the backups, but as yet the game engine isn’t making use of them. Additionally, I haven’t done anything special with the DH.

I think I need to also do something with the lineup page to display the backups somehow.

Steve
Ajax

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't change the main lineup page--outsiders looking at a team don't need to see the backups.

Previous Page | Show Page |