Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Another Draft Idea   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
1. Randomly place all teams into groups of six, creating 126 groups. (The groups would change every week.)

2. Place the 1260 highest remaining potential SI draftees into the 126 groups in a serpentine order, evenly distributing them throughout the groups. (Their rankings aren't seen.)

3. Teams draft from their group's pool each week.

There are at least two ways step three could be done. The simplest is first come, first served. I think there's a better way, though, that would eliminate the race-to-draft scenario. Give everyone 72 hours (or whatever) to make their top 6 list from their group of 10. At the end of the review period, the draft order is randomly selected and the draftees are doled out based on their ranked preferences. If a team fails to rank their potential draftees, they're skipped initially and can make their choice from any undrafted player in their group any time later in the week (it becomes first come, first served for any and all of those teams).

The idea behind this is simple--we would no longer be drafting players that make no sense. We would be getting a choice of all relatively good players, but still wouldn't know who the best in the group is.

For this to work, the game engine would need to generate players a bit differently than they do now. To maintain the uncertainty of pre-drafted players, the first layer of generation would be done precisely as it is now, that way "good" players could still be better than "very good" ones. After that first step, all potential draftees would undergo their second layer of generation, like they do when we draft them now. Being fully created their full potential is there, but undisclosed. That would allow them to be distributed into groups in the manner I proposed above.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I have toyed with something like this...have a series of mini-drafts. I just don't know that it offer enough benefit to push it in front of other development items.

Also, I have questions about whether every user wants to rank a bunch of prospects each week.

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The idea only requires ranking 10 guys to its credit. I'm coming off my first ever round 1 bust, so I'm as open to it as I ever will be.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I used that breakdown because it's basically a combination of the current and old draft options. You would get anywhere between 10 and 5 choices depending on your draft number. If someone didn't want to do the ranking part (I really can't imagine that, but I suppose there might be a few), they wouldn't have to. They could wait until Monday or whatever and then pick any of the players, which would be exactly what they do now. The main reason I suggested this is because everyone gets roughly the same caliber of player with every draft. It also gives owners the ability to target something they need. If you know they are all similar in SI, you would be more likely to choose a player that appears to fit a need in your system. If you need an infielder, pick a guy with good fielding, etc.
Mig2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I kind of like how the 10 per draft is working so far honestly

Previous Page | Show All |