Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> True Draft   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Well put Tiger504. Still fun to speculate though :)
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I'm confused how a draft resolves the trade issue? Or is this just brain storming?

I'm not necessary adverse to a draft, but here are a few of the issues that were raised in earlier discussions about a draft:

1. Fairly extensive implementation.
2. Advantage of rolling draft (vs. consolidate draft), is that it allows those who join mid-season to still participate in a limited manner.
3. Since we desire to engage causal users and hardcore users, having to scout and rank 1000 prospects seems beyond what the casual user would be willing to do. Also, not there are actually a lot more than 1000 prospects generated each season.
4. Question about how bots should participate in this kind of draft.

Steve
Philliesworld

Blacksburg Bulldogs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Like the idea , But Steve couldn't the casual user have an auto default for the best players in the draft? and bot teams would just not be included or if they need to be included they would by default pick the best player available.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This isn't basketball, best player available is a very hit or miss proposition with 18 year old baseball prospects, much more so than any other sport.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Here are my stabs at Steve's questions...

I'm confused how a draft resolves the trade issue?

It doesn't exactly, but I think it addresses some of the positives trading allows. The biggest gain for owners is that it empowers them to target an area they see is falling behind in the minors. That might be a specific position, a hitter, a slugger, whatever the owner feels is lacking. That's what trades do, albeit often for the here and now instead of for the future.

Someone said they think everyone would want the same guys, and I don't think that's the case. We all have our own needs and specific preferences.

Advantage of rolling draft (vs. consolidate draft), is that it allows those who join mid-season to still participate in a limited manner.

My suggestion about the true draft would only be for the first of the season. The remaining weekly drafts would be like they are currently.

There are actually a lot more than 1000 prospects generated each season.

I don't know how many players are created each year or how many are in each classification (very good, good, etc.). For the special draft, only the top 1000 (or whatever number) by potential are listed. All the others that are created would remain unseen and be used for the rest of the year.

Yes, 1000 or so players is a lot to review. I doubt very many would consider them all individually. Sort functions similar to the ones we have for free agents could be used to help create owners' lists. That would be a starting point and then owners could move them up and down.

Question about how bots should participate in this kind of draft.

No need to make this part complicated--they could be completely random. For real owners that don't make their list, they also would get random picks.

A final note about a true draft...it ensures that every team gets one of the top prospects each year. Give everyone a super stud to start the season. Let luck play it's roll (misspelling/pun intended) the rest of the time.
Philliesworld

Blacksburg Bulldogs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Well said Mike
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I have toyed with the idea of having a North American draft (as the MLB does) and then having the reset of the world open. But all of these changes would be pretty extensive coding developments.

Still not clear how teams would effectively rank so many players. The other games that have drafts (RZA, Buzzer Beater etc.) seem to resolve this by having a separate pool for each league. This reduces the scale issue, but then you lose out on a lot of options.

Steve
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Before I talk about the true draft idea, I want to admit that I know absolutely nothing about code. I haven't the foggiest idea if something is simple or complex to write into the game. I just act as if everything's super simple and let Steve state otherwise. :) You can only do what you can do. Onwards and upwards...

I haven't played those other games, but my original thought was to break it into three groups instead of one massive draft. Randomly putting 252 teams into three separate pools/drafts would make it much more manageable. That, I think, would actually increase the amount of time people would invest in scoping out the players due to it being a smaller field.

The players to be drafted would obviously need to be divided up fairly. That should be simple enough. I'm guessing each player has a potential skill index that is unseen by us. The best pitcher goes to group 1, 2nd best to 2, 3rd best to 3, then repeat or do a snake/reverse order, whichever. Then the best catcher might go to group 2, best 1b to 3, etc.

Personally, I would prefer 3 drafts that divide the population because it would be much easier to scout. I didn't suggest it that way to begin with because I thought people might cry foul, claiming their pool of players wasn't as good as the others. If it's evenly distributed with talent, I think that would be the best way to go.

Oh yeah, and I like your idea of it simply being American players.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe instead of a drastic overhaul of the draft, we could do something that's more of a tweak that would still give owners a certain amount of control over the slate of players they have to choose from.

How about adding a "Draft" link to the menu that leads to a "Draft Preferences" page where using radio buttons, each owner could rank each position one through seven. On draft day you would choose the pool you wish to draft from as usual, but the five players that would come up would reflect your preferences to a certain extent. Maybe of the five prospects, two would be at the position you have ranked first. Then one each from the positions you have ranked two through four. You would never see a player from the positions ranked five through seven allowing you to eliminate positions that you have no room or need for.

Granted, I don't know how hard any of that would be to implement, but I would think it would fit more easily into the framework of the draft as it is now than a completely new draft system would while also allowing for a level of control we don't currently have.

Updated Thursday, November 13 2014 @ 6:48:39 am PST
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay...all good input.

More immediately, I think I'd like to come up with a better implementation of managers and coaching. Right now, most of the in-game management decisions are made through the management settings. So the manager has a very diminished role.

I don't really want that to change (I think most users want the in-game control), but then we need to find a better function/mechanism for managers/coaches to influence the game.

Steve

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |